Shuttle Launch out of Port Canavaral (sp)

firedisney97

Ok, we (DH, DD 7, DS 3 and myself) are cruising on the Dream Feb 13, 2010, my husband discovered that there is a shuttle launch scheduled for Thurs the 11th and he wants to fly to Orlando on Wed instead of Friday (like we are scheduled to do through Carnival) so that we can be there IF the shuttle actually launches. I am wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this before? If so how was it? We are from South Dakota so this might be a once in a lifetime chance for not only us but maybe for our kids also. I thought we might also take Friday then and take the kids over to Disney World's Magic Kingdom for the day. Advice or other input would be great.:)

Ok, we (DH, DD 7, DS 3 and myself) are cruising on the Dream Feb 13, 2010, my husband discovered that there is a shuttle launch scheduled for Thurs the 11th and he wants to fly to Orlando on Wed instead of Friday (like we are scheduled to do through Carnival) so that we can be there IF the shuttle actually launches. I am wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this before? If so how was it? We are from South Dakota so this might be a once in a lifetime chance for not only us but maybe for our kids also. I thought we might also take Friday then and take the kids over to Disney World's Magic Kingdom for the day. Advice or other input would be great.:)

If you go under the Kennedy Space Center website it has a listing of the launch schedules.

Definitely see a shuttle launch if you're able to!!! We got to see the last night launch this past November and our children and grandson is still talking about it. It's an experience you will never forget. If you're able to get tickets for the launching view site at Kennedy Center do so, but I would imagine they're sold out by now. There's another great area to view from called Spaceview Park and Veterans Memorial Park. Fantastic area, with vendors selling food and memorabilia. A lot of the news networks will be in this area as well.

Thanks for that inforamation. I actually tried to see ticket prices for Kennedy last night and they won't show them on-line until a certain time before the launch and the next launch appears to be sold out because I couldn't even look at the pricing for it. :(

Sorry ~ but I am hoping that launch gets delayed :D We're on the Dream the week after you & I really wanted the kids to see a shuttle launch.

As for Disney, we're going to try to go after we get off the ship. I figure we could be off early and at the parks by 11ish. We'll stay Saturday night & fly home Sunday evening. That would give us (2) - 1/2 days at Disney. It'll be rushed & there's no way to see it all in that short of time, but we've been to Disney before.

That would be great to get a shuttle launch, a cruise & Disney all out of 1 airfare :D

It's quite something to see. I've seen two. The last one was from WDW earlier this year. I'd actually forgotten there was one scheduled, my DW and I had snuck down to WDW for a long weekend.....without the kiddos ;). We were on a bus heading to the Animal Kingdom when by DW looks out the window and asks "what is that"!!!!

The first time was while in the Navy. My ship was just off the coast during a night launch. It was really something to see. I wish I'd have the presence of mind to take some pictures!

I've taken my children to Disney at 6 months and up. They are now 19, 17 and 13. I have a 2 year old grandson that I took when he was 8 months and just this past November when he was 23 months. All he talks about now is Disney, Disney, Disney. He wants to watch our movies, see pics of the trip, watch Disney on the travel channel. hehe I've created a Disney nut just about as bad as I am. LOL He will tell you how the tea cups made him go around and around and around and will give an excited squeal when he talks about driving lightening McQueen (racecars). He was in heaven. :)

IMHO children are never too young to go to Disney and you'll be swept up watching the magic in your children's eyes. Disney is having some fantastic deals right now including 40% Room rates, Military Deal, Buy 4 Get 3 Free Deal and just recently Pin Codes have been sent out to select people for 5night/6 day stay including park tickets and you get a $500 Disney Gift Card for March-April 16th. If you haven't registered at Disney's website be sure to do so and ask for emails to be sent. You just might get lucky in receiving a coveted pin code. :)

Thanks for that inforamation. I actually tried to see ticket prices for Kennedy last night and they won't show them on-line until a certain time before the launch and the next launch appears to be sold out because I couldn't even look at the pricing for it. :(

Don't worry about tickets. You can go to the port, or to the campground beyond the port and watch from there. We have gone up to the Cape a few times to watch launches but you can see them from everywhere. We watch from our front yard 50 miles away all the time. THERE WILL BE TRAFFIC everywhere around Cape Canaveral.

You might Google for good watching spots. Stay at a hotel by the port and ask them in advance for good spots?

Dan

We got to view the Apollo-Soyuz launch. After seeing the shuttle launch this past November the difference in the two really struck me. I remember the waves crashing like never before, the ground shaking, the noise and ice particles coming down from the Apollo-Soyuz launch. The shuttle was much quieter compared, but was definitely a MUST SEE for everyone that's able. It's definitely an experience you'll never forget!

I really did enjoy the Spaceview Park Viewing area for the shuttle launch. It does get crowded early, but everyone was in the best mood, excitement can definitely be felt in the air and the atmosphere was just great.

I wouldn't book a cruise or base a vacation on a shuttle launch scheduled over a year from now.

So many things can change from now until then to delay the launch.

Let alone all of the last minute delays that happen, even if the launch isn't delayed prior to the end of 2009.

Plus remember that a February launch is the most likely to be delayed, as that is almost the only time of the year, where you get a chance of freezing weather in the area. (in which case they won't launch, after Challenger's O-rings froze.)

I would bet that you have less than a 10% chance of the launch happening that week, let alone on that specific day in 2010.

I do wish you luck though.

As I was lucky enough to have my parents live 20 miles north of the Cape for 15 years and got to see a couple of launches from their front porch on visits.

It is remarkable to see in person. (even from 20 miles away)

Bill

Please note that in my original post I said IF the shuttle launches. We are well aware that we could get out there and the launch will be scrubbed. We actually booked the cruise 3 weeks ago, before we ever figured out there was the possiblity of a launch. I was just asking for information or advice from anyone who had attend a launch or done anything like we are talking about doing. If the launch is scrubbed and we are there 2 days early, oh well, 2 more days of having fun with my kids.

Shuttle launches are spectacular to watch. It is a great experience and one that you all will remember for a long time. I live in Orlando and watch the launches from my driveway. Sometimes we will drive over but traffic will be heavy. You do not have to get any special tickets. Go down on Cocoa Beach . You will have a great view! Schedules like everything ,can vary. If the launch is scrubbed, go to the Space Center. It is a great place to spend the day. A day at Disney is a lot of fun. Just pace yourself. To fully enjoy the park, plan on only trying to do one in a day.

It sounds like a great way to start a cruise. Enjoy and happy planning.

We went to see a shuttle launch last November and all I can say is it is awe-inspiring. This was our second launch viewing and our first night launch. The main problem we had was the constantly changing schedule. The mission was delayed repeatedly and we had to keep changing our flight plans. Thank-god the airline didn't charge a change fee. This wouldn't have worked for us if we were also going on a cruise- we flew down to specifically see a launch and we knew we were taking a risk that it may not launch. If I were you, I would definitely fly in a day ahead of time. Even if the launch changes and you don't get to see it, you could still tour Kennedy Space Center and also have some leeway if you have a weather delay leaving town. If you get lucky and also get to see a launch it will be well worth it

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568738442yrliKN

Here are some links that will help.

http://www.launchphotography.com/

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/

http://spacelaunchinfo.com/faq.html/#park

http://www.sworld.com.au/steven/space/shuttle/guide.txt

Never have missed one in many many years and each launch are awesome except the ones we lost.

Archived