USAir reduces luggage weight limit

NoWhiners

Not directly a cruise thing, but for anyone flying USAir after February, the weight limit on checked bags will decrease to 40 pounds!!! $15 for first bag, $25 for second. We need a passengers bill of rights that the government should impose to stop this insanity.

I read it on their web page after booking our flight to vancouver for inside passage cruise in June.

Mary Lynn:mad:

I haven't read the fine print on the weight allowance reduction, but usually new or increased fees are imposed based on when the ticket was purchased, not on the date of travel.

Why should the government intervene? There are plenty of options that avoid luggage charges:

- Pack less.

- Buy a ticket that is not at a bargain-basement fare.

- Fly Southwest.

- Drive, take Greyhound, or Amtrak.

Some restaurants have stopped free drink refills and bread on the table. Should the government "stop that insanity" too?

I do agree that holding passengers "hostage" on a plane without drink or restrooms is an area where the government does need to interevne, since the airlines seem unable and resistant to preventing it. But that is a health and safety issue rather than a price issue that is well-advertised in advance.

Not directly a cruise thing, but for anyone flying USAir after February, the weight limit on checked bags will decrease to 40 pounds!!! $15 for first bag, $25 for second. We need a passengers bill of rights that the government should impose to stop this insanity.

I read it on their web page after booking our flight to vancouver for inside passage cruise in June.

If you buy before the effective date, you'll be okay.

It is for carry on items only. They also are changing the dimensions for carry on bags.

wow...I know theres a chance that other airlines will adopt this practoice but until then US Air can kiss any of my potential business goodbye...I dont think I could fill either of my suitcases and have them be under 40lbs
Did you read the post about the 40 pound restriction being only for your carry-on bag?

Personally, I think maybe only King Kong could swing a 40 pound bag into the overhead bin. :eek: I certainly couldn't.

Thanks to the poster who went to the US Airways website and reported the regulation WAS ONLY FOR CARRYON bags.

Kenish

Pack less.--I pack very light but I'm getting married on this cruise and need to take a bit more than normal

- Buy a ticket that is not at a bargain-basement fare. I paid a lot--the fare has already gone down $100 since I booked, we are paying $650 each. Enough so that we shouldn't have to pay for the bags, plus it's an international flight

- Fly Southwest. Doesn't go to vancouver, not cost effective to do rental cars and hotels extra nights

- Drive, take Greyhound, or Amtrak. pound sand--see previous answer, I am on vacation, not looking to screw around this way.

To everyone else who was mean spirited enough to act like this was some sort of attempt to start false rumors, sorry I'm not perfect like all of you. us lesser mortals do occasionally make mistakes. must be nice to be perfect

still stinks that they can charge and its not the same as paying for bread in a restaurant. I'm flying, for a 7 day trip and need to check luggage. A better example would be hotel charging ore for a bed or car dealer charging more for a steering wheel.

You can all keep paying too much for nothing, but that is how we end up with banks taking taxpayer money and not using it for somehting that actually helps.

I guess i will just stop posting, now that I see how these boards operate.

We cruised out to Rio, Brazil last year. Delta lost DH's luggage! It caught up with us on day 6. Never again.

We now travel with one carry-on and one backpack each. If they were to weigh them I am certain they would weigh more than 40 pounds. BUT, we do not check any luggage. Once is enough. Hope we don't have a problem with this weight thing in the future with our carry-ons.

Marion

I guess i will just stop posting, now that I see how these boards operate.

Don't stop posting, I like your feistiness :)

PS The mood on these boards is fairly average: Disney is one extreme, and Flyertalk Forums is at the other end.

...To everyone else who was mean spirited enough to act like this was some sort of attempt to start false rumors, sorry I'm not perfect like all of you. us lesser mortals do occasionally make mistakes. must be nice to be perfect...
I think you are being a bit quick to label some of us as being mean spirited.

When I first heard the 40 pound limitation per bag, I was worried. Our larger pullmans, duffle bags and garment bags all weigh close to 50 pounds apiece when fully packed. At times, we have to move items to keep all bags under 50 pounds. When you first mentioned 40 pounds, the game was up for us with our normal packing methods.

Carryon luggage is a different matter completely. If you abide by the airlines size limitation for carryon luggage, it seems almost impossible to get anywhere near a 40 pound carryon bag. I do know that I don't want to try and lift a 40 pound bag into the overhead bin.

I know my intent was not to find fault with a post. It was good news to find out the 40 pound limit didn't apply to checked bags.

I agree 100 percent about wasting money. I have lived in Pittsburgh my entire life and used to look at the the US Airways schedule first when making air travel plans. Not any more! Southwest is definitely first. I don't want to pay extra for checked bags, a seat with extra legroom or now, a pillow for my weary head. :mad:

Archived