Seabourn V Crystal and Children

crestofawave

First post so hello to you all.

Looking to take our first cruise and after quite a bit of research thought Seabourn fitted the bill.However we do have two children aged 12 and 16 and i have no issue as to their behaviour since they have many times stayed and travelled first class, i wondered if the Seabourn cruises were completely off limits to children.I would not want to stop them having a good time(children are children or young adults nearly) in order to please some people who thought laughter was better left a shore.

Our children have never been ones for childrens club etc, but neither do i want something that is too stifling

I believe that by talking and engaging with different people would be good for them provided it is reciprocated.

As a follow up if Seabourn is not suitable i am looking at Crystal and i would appreciate a comparison (although me and my wife are looking forward to the fantastic service that i read about..

Thanks in advance for any replies

Have not been on SB, but have been on Regent (700 pax) and SeaDream (100 pax). Other than in the summer, there are not usually many, if any, children on the lux lines. In the summer, the Mariner in Alaska has great kids activities, for example.

On Regent, being a larger ship, there are some things that might keep youngsters entertained, but on a 100-200 pax ship I'd be very leary of taking children, as there really is nothing for them to do when not in port. The small ships are generally populated by adults looking for peace and quiet, and doing "adult things", like drinking and socializing, and so children are generally not a good fit for these type ships.

Just my two cents... Ragnar

We have sailed on both Seabourn and Crystal, but not with children.

I think Crystal has more variety for teenage children, but it depends on the children. During the day, Crystal will have great enrichment lectures, better evening shows.

Seabourn has a great sports deck for itineraries such as the Caribbean.

If the cruise you are planning is port intensive, you will probably be off the ship most days.

If there are sea days, there is more pool space (and pools) on Crystal.

There are golf clinics and basketball on Crystal. I do not know what the Odyssey will offer.

As to dress, Crystal tends to be more formal.

What do the children like to do? What type of cruise are you planning.

Both cruiselines are wonderful, but we are no longer children (or even teenagers).

In general, I believe Seabourn is no place for children, both for their sake and that of the other passengers. But at 12 and 16 they are old enough to amuse themselves IF they know how to do that. There will be NOTHING aboard the ships to distract them other than conversation, lectures and of course, the ports themselves. Crystal would be very similar except that, being much larger ships, there would be more places for them to explore and hang out.

The question as I see it is "who is this cruise really for, you or your children?" If it's for you then know that you love Seabourn or Crystal but your children will not have a first rate experience. If it's for them then you are looking at the wrong cruise lines.

Many thanks.

We don`t want a staid atmosphere but niether to be surrounded by others people children

First of all welcome to Cruise Critic and the Seabourn Board!

Regarding your question, I also find your statement that I quoted above, rather unusual (maybe understandable), because for your children it would be nice if there would be other children as well!

My suggestion would be: Go on Seabourn without your children and chose another line if you want to take them with you!

Marja

It is a kind of yin and yang situation. Children MIGHT, depending on how well they occupy themselves, enjoy SB. Children LOVE the large ships, they are practically designed for children! On the other hand adults may enjoy the mega ships but LOVE SB. It kind of stinks for a youth to be "on their best behavior" all the time, and that is what will happen on SB. There is really no place for them to let their hair down.

My mother took her grand-daughters (13 and 15) on Carnival and the girls absolutely loved it. They are good kids but I dissuaded them from SB. Tiny pool, no club, no kids activities.

I might suggest Celebrity. Lots of age appropriate activities for children and young adults but some private areas for adults only too.

Do a google search for "Frommers The Best Cruise Ships for Families with Children" it has lots of sage advice.

And look right here on CC for "Best Cruises for Teens " http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=159

Hope you find something good and enjoy your cruise!

Unless it's a very port-intensive cruise, I think they could be dead bored. I have found teens on the Scandinavian and Baltic cruises, however.

I would welcome teens on a Trivia Team, they are so enthusiastic and often know facts I never heard of.

Thanks for everyones comments - i think i will have to rethink.Considering peoples experiences what suggestions about which line would best met our expectations with regards to service and food but would fit the childrens expectations to.

Many thanks - Seabourn one day.

I have sailed on both Crystal and Seabourn.

And, when our youngest who is now a young adult was 16 he sailed on Crystal.

In the summer months and on holiday cruises you will see children on Crystal. How many in the summer varies by Itinerary. There will be more in the Med than say on a British Isles cruise which was one of two that our son sailed on. There were about 8 others his age and that is all he needed.

While I think both lines are outstanding I honestly would not recommend Seabourn for children. I just don't think there is enough to do for the children and I say this from the persective of having sailed each year with two children who at one point were your children ages as our children are four years apart.

On Crystal there during the summer months and on the holiday cruises there are programs for the children and even on those cruises where there are no programs there are many activities that the children could participate in. I just don't see this on Seabourn.

My recommendation would be to take the children on Crystal and save Seabourn for when you to can get away by yourself. This is what we did.

Keith

Search this forum. You will find one person who suggested that kids might come in handy if there was a shortage of meat at a deck BBQ. Another suggested stuffing the kids in the used towel bins on deck. :eek:

Seriously though, I agree with those who suggest finding a different, more kid-friendly, line. I have only seen two children aboard Seabourn, and they looked very bored.

I sailed on the Marco Polo and I was 14 and the next youngest person was 30! It was a plesure seeing the Antarctic, a dream of mine since the early days and definitly discussing all the walks of life with people which have seen so much more in thier life times is indeed a striking experience.

Unless the children decide that the vessel is indeed a very good playground and start telephoning people at 1AM asking for them to go down to reception (as happend with mother once... telephone saying problem with passports get down to reception in the middle of the night noone to be seen on the ship and guess what! they check our telephone records and it turns out to be two very polite-sarcastic- kids which thier parents have given them a room all for themselves...) So as long as you teenagers behaive well, dont wreck havoc and importantly apprecaite good service and intresting destinations we all should be fine. However if thier holiday is big ships and the sand, sky, sea, sun choosing a larger vessel may be a better choice, so in this case it might be that Crystal is better. However as long as your children dont cause problems Seabourn or Crystal or any passenger going to a 'diffrent' destination on a cruise line would be to polite to comment.

Sorry about my spelling mistakes- english isnt my first language :P

Archived