Formal Dress Questions

BbAaSsSs

I did forget to add that every man should own a sportscoat and nice slacks or suit.

There are many occasions where you will use it and not "just get by" with slacks and a shirt. There is nothing wrong with looking great and a nice outfit for more formal occasions is a good investment.

Im sorry but I think the word 'formal' gives it away. There is no opinion over dress style as the previous poster who shows the actual meaning of the relevant words

Maybe twenty years ago. Styles and attitudes change. This is 2009. Besides the fact that there are many restrictions on luggage and people simply can't pack all the extra clothes. jmo

I clicked your link.

Interestingly enough, RC calls them "suggested guidelines" :rolleyes:

Im sorry but just to put my tuppenceworth in, you have to remember that its a formal night and out of respect for who is throwing the reception to dress accordingly. You have been selected out of the rest of the passengers to meet and talk to the various officers onboard the ship, therefore you should make a decent attempt at maintaining the dress code. You are meeting the Captain of the vessel so in a way of thanking him for the invite dress up, a jacket and tie job.

Its the least one can do !!!

Again, it's not a dress CODE, they are suggested guidelines per the oft-quoted link.

Also, this isn't the same situation as a fancy party. Pax paid their cruise fare, so they aren't being "invited" to dinner and thanking a host - they paid for it!

And before the flames start, I've always followed the suggested dress guidelines or made other dining arrangements.

Maybe twenty years ago. Styles and attitudes change. This is 2009. Besides the fact that there are many restrictions on luggage and people simply can't pack all the extra clothes. jmo

You are so right.

I also think it has to do with age which I guess shapes your style and attitude.

The really nice thing about all this is it's never a big deal to most folks onboard.

Most of the really hard core attitudes on both sides are just a Cruise Critc thing.:)

It IS a dress code. Read the very first line:

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

If it said What are the SUGGESTED guidelines?, then I'd agree with you.

The suggested part is merely examples, for people who don't know what is meant by Casual, Smart Casual and Formal.

You need to keep going :rolleyes:

"Q: What are the dress codes onboard?"

That's the question being asked, so that is what the asker called it.

"A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: ..."

This is RC's answer, and it obviously states SUGGESTED GUIDELINES.

Cruise compasses also list suggested dress guidelines.

Therefore, according to RC, they are suggested guidelines and NOT a dress code. :cool:

.... IMO. Celebrity is very formal, and a tux is almost the norm.
Interesting observation because that has not been our experience with Celebrity at all. I am not intending to be confrontational, but would only like to know which Celebrity ships and itineraries you took where "a tux is almost the norm" and whether or not it was recently.

On every Celebrity cruise we have taken in recent years (on Summit, Infinity and Millennium), there have been many more men wearing a suit than a tux on formal nights. As for the women's attire, it has pretty well covered the entire range (all kinds of dresses, pants outfits, bridesmaid gowns, business suits to glittery Vegas type getups).

On our latest Celebrity cruise on the Millennium last summer, less than 10 percent of the men wore a tux on the formal nights. It was an Alaska itinerary, but we have cruised to Alaska before and the tuxes on this cruise were fewer than we had seen previously.

Somebody has to try to correct the misinformation being thrown around here that RC has a mandatory dress code.

I think my point has been made, so if it's bothering you, I'm big enough to move on.

I hope the OP understands that there is no mandatory dress code on RCI. The word is suggested.

Archived