Grand Princess

mjlafarr

Oh no! I am going on my first Princess cruise in Feb. and I just read the Princess page about the Grand. It sounds awful. There are pages upon pages of how much people hated it. It sounds like this is the first sailing of the season from TX. Should I cancel the trip now and take my losses? Is this typical of the first sailing of the season?

I'm not sure where you're seeing bad reports on the Grand. For the best and most recent feedback about this (or any) ship, you should post on the Princess board here.

My wife and I sailed on the Golden Princess 3 years ago (sister to the Grand) and absolutely loved the ship.

That being said, it's usually much easier (and cheaper) to get from here in Boston (hi!) to Fort Lauderdale for cruises, so if you can change, you might want to switch to a Florida itinerary.

There is some scary stuff there! Some of it may be related to it being the first sailing of the season, some seems to be related to the ship itself.

I'd suggest you wait a couple of weeks to see some more reviews, but if you're really worried, you should start ASAP to look into alternatives. Like I said before, unless you have a good reason to go out of Galveston, Florida is much easier to sail out of -- easier to get to, and they send out tens of thousands of passengers every week.

I scanned through the thread, and I saw lots more positives than negatives!

Sure there are problems. It is completely unavoidable for everyone on a ship to have NO problems. Inaguaral (sp?) cruises seem to have a few more glitches.

But I saw lots of compliments!

We just got back from 10/24 Star Princess, first time in Caribbean in 18 mos. (was in Europe). I was stunned at the negative comments that first came out. Now, it was our first cruise, so nothing to compare it to, but we felt the experience was AMAZING! Perfect, no. Would we go on the same ship/itinerary again--definitely! (Although I'd like to add some variety...)

Just my 2 cents...

Kristin

Hi to All...

We have sailed half of our Princess cruises on the Grand. We have tried different cabins and we enjoy the ship. As this will be your first time on Princess, you will enjoy this ship. Armed with the tips from this board, you will have a great time. I am not sure on how many cruises you have been on or what lines, but, IMHO, it will be better then RCI or Carnival. My TIP: enjoy the pool by the spa. Many think that it is part of the spa and avoid that area, but it is open to all.........Dennis

When researching your trip here it is important to determine what kind of cruiser you are in order to appropriately digest all the comments (good and bad about the ships/excursions/etc...). I personally am not one who gets upset by the quality of napkins in the main dining rooms or the color scheme of the ship. I also noticed a considerable number of negative posts about the Grand, but I also noted that the biggest complaint was disembarkation -- the very last thing the posters expereinced. What I look for are comments that seem really general -- like bad food or inattentative staff. You will see when you cruise that there will be a handful of people who always find the negative. I suggest that you take it all in, but try not to focus too much on the negatives (I know this is hard to do). As a first time cruise you will think everything is fabulous -- the real trick is holding that attitude over into your future cruises.

Have a great time!

Thanks for your words of encouragment. We are less concerned about new paint and napkins, so I do agree I think if we were worried about those kinds of things we might be more concerned.

It did seem a lot of the comments on that particular link were about bad attitudes of staff, and disorganization. I am sure even some of these things are subjective. I am sure with a positive attitude will go a long way.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Oh no! I am going on my first Princess cruise in Feb. and I just read the Princess page about the Grand. It sounds awful. There are pages upon pages of how much people hated it. It sounds like this is the first sailing of the season from TX. Should I cancel the trip now and take my losses? Is this typical of the first sailing of the season?
Keep in mind that this was not just the first sailing of the season, it was Princess' first sailing EVER from Galveston. Things are bound to be hairy the first time sailing out of a port!

It is not the Grand's 1st cruise from Galveston as we did it last summer. They spent the whole summer running out of Galveston after they cancelled their summer in Europe. It was a great ship and we really enjoyed it.

The first day or so we thought we would not like it after comparing to our RCCL cruises, but then got used to the ebb and flow of the ship and it was great.:)

It is not the Grand's 1st cruise from Galveston as we did it last summer. They spent the whole summer running out of Galveston after they cancelled their summer in Europe. It was a great ship and we really enjoyed it.

Wow, really? I did not know that (obviously ;) ). Thanks for the info!

I read similar things about the Caribbean Princess. She was a completely new ship earlier this year. I sailed her on 11/06. I would sail her again tomorrow (Does she sail tomorrow).... First cruise couldn't have been nicer.

I think the Grand will be my next one! I know the disembarkation sounds terrible, but who wants to get off a great ship in the first place.

Enjoy your cruise, and let us know how it goes...

Hi Bill.

OK..You have really piqued my curiosity.Now..I am not saying I don't believe you..cuz obviously if ya got on the ship,ya know where ya got on it at:D

But what was the deal with the Grand in Galveston In June o3??

I have absolutly no recollection of this.Which,of course doesn't mean a thing:rolleyes:

Was it a one or 2 week deal?? I spent two weeks in Galveston in June of 03,and can't believe I missed her.I do have some memory of the Europe thing being changed...

The reason this intriques me so is I have a friend who INSISTS they sailed on a Princess ship from Galveston...But she can never remember the name of the ship...or where they went..or when...Long story...But I would love to get the mystery resolved...

Thanks

Cat

Same here. When they made the decision to cancel the Med cruises they were sailing from Ft Lauderdale at the time. Princess' own website news release states this is their "first ever Galveston cruising." the message below is from their website under NEWS found in the small print at the bottom of the page or you can use this link and read for yourselves the whole story: http://www.princess.com/news/index.jsp It's the news release dated 11/08/04

11/8/2004

Princess Launches First-Ever Galveston Cruising

Award-Winning Grand Princess Becomes Largest, Newest Ship Based in Texas Port; Features Unique "Movies Under the Stars" Poolside Screen, New Premium Steakhouse

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (November 8, 2004) - When Grand Princess sets sail on its first cruise from Galveston today, the 109,000-ton ship will become the largest, newest and most amenity-filled ship to sail from the Texas port. TV's own "Captain Stubing," actor Gavin MacLeod of "The Love Boat," will be on hand to welcome the award-winning vessel to Texas for the first time as the ship begins a season featuring the only week-long, four-port itinerary from Galveston.

Further if you go look at the NEWS ARCHIVES and see the release dated 02/13/03 it talks about the change from the Med but doesn't say they will be moving the home port to Galveston. I just would have thought this would have been big news for us in the Houston/Galveston area and I would have remembered it also.

At any rate you sailed her and hopefully enjoyed your vacation.

I read some of the same releases,and an interesting article on the History of the Port.One bit of wording I noticed used in more than one article was something along the lines of...the only cruise lines (refering to Carnival & RCI ) that have sailed from Galveston....on a "regular" basis...and other than "seasonal" or a "limited" stop.

Anyway...where are ya Bill :D

Here I am. I have been offshore on a cruise (actually a barge for work lately). I am sure we went out of Galveston and remember GC, Cozumel and Costa Maya among the stops. It may have been out of FLL but I think it was Galveston. It was for about 4 months from like May or June thru the summer. :)

Archived