cameras and x-ray machines?

Most protable camera's only have 200 or 400 speed film in them. The security machines on the ship and airport check points won't be a problem. If you pack your camera's in your checked luggage, the more powerful x-ray machines will expose the film. So, unless you put your camera's in your checked luggage, you should be OK.

Future cruises

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Explorer OTS - Eastern Caribbean 11/04

Past cruises

Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03

Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iceman111:

My portable cameras say "protect from x-rays". How am I suppose to take on plane both ways and ship?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why are you using my custom made logo in your signature?????

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

If you are really concerned about your film you can request that your camera be "hand checked" when you go through security. They will ask you the speed of the film and if it's 800 or above they will check the camera and all film containers by hand. My daughter has this done all the time.

Brenda

Festivale 5/80

NCL Sunward 3/93

Disney Magic 3/01

RCCL Voyager 4/03

Island Princess 7/03

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bbyost:

If you are really concerned about your film you can request that your camera be "hand checked" when you go through security. They will ask you the speed of the film and if it's 800 or above they will check the camera and all film containers by hand. My daughter has this done all the time.

Brenda

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On our last several trips, especially at larger airports or during busy times, they've refused to handcheck any of our film unless is was faster than 800 speed.

To date we've never had a problem with our 800 speed film going through x-ray. We are careful not to repeatedly expose the film to the x-rays machines. Once a roll is completed, we either leave it in our room or have it developed. Since it's always fun to see the pictures, I often have it developed onboard. It's a little more expensive but it's fun to look at what came out and find out what didn't.

Future cruises

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Past cruises

Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03

Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

I just bought a new rebel ti so I had the same concern. I went to Ritz Camera and they told me that your film should be ok although it will probably reduce the quality and could possibly make it grainy or fuzzy (I have had my share of those). Regardless I bought a special bag for $15 that you can put up to 20 rolls of film in that will protect it from the xrays. Developing them on board is a great option but can be a little pricy depending on the ship. These are just other options you can do in addition to those mentioned above.

Grandeur of the Seas 05/31/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;31;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Grand Princess 2003

Grand Princess 2002

Katianna, the lead-lined film bag you mentioned prevents x-rays from giving images of items inside and underneath the bag. This event prompts security to physically (by hand) inspect your carry-on or checked luggage for prohibited items possibly concealed within or around the film bag. Under the assumption you are not carrying prohibited items (firearms, knives, incendiaries, explosives, etc), I would assume you would prefer that screeners not disturb your personal property. This is why I would not recommend using the film bags under any circumstance.

Film up to and including 800 speed film is safe at passenger x-rays. A physical inspection in lieu of x-ray screening may be requested and must be granted.

Film in any checked baggage WILL get damaged. The x-ray machines are different from the passenger checkpoint, and are not compatible with film. You're going to have bad unused film, or ruined memories. Plain as that. Good luck!

Serenade of the Seas 5/30/04

Vision of the Seas 12/03

Rhapsody of the Seas 6/97

Majesty of the Seas 6/94

I always try to post this link on these threads, as it's "straight from the horse's mouth" so to speak.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1035.xml

As I often say, if the government goes out of their way to tell you that they will damage your film, it is probably a good idea to believe them.

As I understand the rules, as paw323 stated, they are obligated to give your film a hand inspection. However, my personal experience is that if they really want to, they know all too well how to get around that. They once told me that they would be happy to do that, but it would require a supervisor to be summoned and it would take over an hour. Not a viable option for airplane travel, especially now that some airports won't even let you go through the security gates until a set time before your flight is scheduled.

If you are refused a hand inspection in a reasonable amount of time, I would hope that a complaint would be filed. The powers that be need to know when this kind of thing happens.

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paw323:

Katianna, the lead-lined film bag you mentioned prevents x-rays from giving images of items inside and underneath the bag. This event prompts security to physically (by hand) inspect your carry-on or checked luggage for prohibited items possibly concealed within or around the film bag. Under the assumption you are not carrying prohibited items (firearms, knives, incendiaries, explosives, etc), I would assume you would prefer that screeners not disturb your personal property. This is why I would not recommend using the film bags under any circumstance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>On the contrary, on many of my trips my undeveloped film will go through over a dozen X-ray machines before it gets home. I always put as much as I can inside a film bag. It doesn't always result in a hand search. Usually, this happens only when the denser image from the film bag is combining with and interfering with the image from some other object inside my backpack.

Even when it does result in a hand search, I would still much rather have them hand search everything in my backpack than run unprotected film through the X-ray machine. It's not going to matter if the film only goes through two or three times in a trip. But X-ray damage is cumulative.

But obviously, this is a matter of personal preference. I personally can't see the problem with screeners looking through everything I've got. They do it thousands of times a day and must see everything there is to see, so it's not as if they've got the slightest interest in what I have actually got with me!

I love this forum. I've put that page in my favorites and will print it out when traveling by air. I'm getting sick and tired of the TSA agents making it up as they go along.

Of course, the option of the lead lined bag might not be such a bad deal. If they refuse to hand check the film, then they're going to have to hand check the entire item.

We haven't had problems with our 800 speed film yet so if they pulled the, "supervisor has to do it and it will take over an hour" trick, I guess I could just take down names, let them x-ray the film, then file a complaint and send them a receipt for the new, unexposed to x-ray film along with their own page of suggestions and ask to be reimbursed. Knowing how fast the government works, that could take the rest of my life and I'm not that old. icon_wink.gif

Future cruises

Past cruises

Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03

Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

We've had a few security people that seemed reluctant to hand check the bag. My daughter (who takes after me icon_smile.gif) stood firm about wanting it hand checked and they gave in. Since 9/11 she has flown at least 15 times, during Easter & Christmas, to Europe and has always managed to have her film hand checked. She is a minoring in photography in college and landscapes are her favorites. She just won't take a chance on her film being ruined. Most of the security people are great about it and talk to her about her photography. It's a different experience at every airport.

Brenda

Festivale 5/80

NCL Sunward 3/93

Disney Magic 3/01

RCCL Voyager 4/03

Island Princess 7/03

I ahve 4 disposable cameras with 800 speed film, do they have bags big enough for disposables?

If I want to take the chance and run it thru the x-ray , which x-ray is less- carry-on x-ray or checked bag x-ray?

Anyone know how much it costs to develop film on the ship approx?

Navigator of the Seas Honeymoon Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL 2/99

CARNIVAL ECSTASY 3/02

NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS 6/04

Carry on is safer. There are big signs at check in warning you not to send any film through with your checked baggage.

I don't know how much it costs to develop film on the ship, but I'm sure someone on this board will know.

Brenda

Festivale 5/80

NCL Sunward 3/93

Disney Magic 3/01

RCCL Voyager 4/03

Island Princess 7/03

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iceman111:

If I want to take the chance and run it thru the x-ray , which x-ray is less- carry-on x-ray or checked bag x-ray?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I was tempted to answer this until I saw superjerryw's post.

its gone now, did not know custom, my intials are sj and I like superman, you could have been a little nicer.

Navigator of the Seas Honeymoon Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL 2/99

CARNIVAL ECSTASY 3/02

NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS 6/04

Just a general comment... it really helps the goal of having meaningful conversation if you actually read the messages in the thread before you reply.

The question was answered twice explicitly, and if you count the link I posted earlier, three times already in this thread. Then it was answered once again after it was asked, and presumably would have been answered a fourth time "until I saw superjerryw's post".

Anyway... if you think about it, if this happened in a verbal conversation, you'd kind of start to wonder if the person was paying attention! icon_smile.gif

JMHO.

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

From the TSA directive posted earlier:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If the same role of film is exposed to X-ray inspections more than 5 times before it is developed, however, damage may occur. Protect your film by requesting a hand-inspection for your film if it has already passed through the carry-on baggage screening equipment (X-ray) more than 5 times. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is frequently overlooked.

If, say, you pass through xrays on each leg of a connection, and if, say, your bag is run through twice (a normal event), you have just about run out of the 5 times limit.

Answer. Just get the lead lined bag at your camera store and put it in your carryon bag, let them search it each time you pass through xray. It's worth the hassle.

Also, as suggested earlier, print out the TSA rules so you have a basis to insist that they treat you right.

Walt Tuthill

Cruise Board Moderator

Contact at Shiptender@aol.com

Iceman: Put your film in your CARRY-ON baggage. Carryon x-ray machines are only x-rays. Checked baggage x-ray machines also use CAT scan technology, which is what ruins your film. White lines will appear on your pictures if your film gets ruined.

I screen baggage for a living. I know what I'm talking about.

Film=Carry-on baggage. Enough said.

You have every right to use a lead-lined film bag, it's just that many passengers don't like being held up by a screener who needs to search a bag that contains one. And don't even think about using a lead-lined film bag to put film into checked baggage. That will almost GUARANTEE your checked baggage will be searched. I say almost because not every airport uses the same technology, and since I do not work at every airport, and for security reasons, I can't tell you where that can happen. Just assume that the film bag will raise red flags.

We don't want to hassle passengers, we just want to make sure nothing prohibited gets through to the plane (although yes, sometimes things get through, but we're don't forget we're humans, and we try our best.), and as for me, I make sure your airplane does not explode.

Thanks for listening, cruise on! Oh yeah, if you're concerned about film... go digital!

Serenade of the Seas 5/30/04

Vision of the Seas 12/03

Rhapsody of the Seas 6/97

Majesty of the Seas 6/94

Archived