Day trips from Anchorage

alaskagain

What about stores where you can stock up on soda and snacks? Like a 7/11 or Walgreens or something.

And do they stay open late? (after 10)

I hear they have a shuttle to go to the zoo, does it usually have seats available? If not, how much would it cost to take a taxi there? And then to the Botanical Gardens?

Thanks for all your help everyone.

What about stores where you can stock up on soda and snacks? Like a 7/11 or Walgreens or something.

And do they stay open late? (after 10)

I hear they have a shuttle to go to the zoo, does it usually have seats available? If not, how much would it cost to take a taxi there? And then to the Botanical Gardens?

Thanks for all your help everyone.

No 7/11 or Walgreen's downtown or down by the Comfort Inn.

The Alaska Zoo runs their shuttle from the Visitor's Log cabin at 4th and F. Not sure on the seat situation, it would be an unknown variable because of how many tourists we have in town different days.

Cab fare would be hard to judge. I live 5 miles from the airport and it usually runs $15 before tip. So from downtown you're probably looking at $30 to $40 before tip. Of course, that's just a guestimate off the top of my head.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I guess I'll have to make sure that I get to the shuttle stop early then, since that's a bit pricey for a taxi.

Can you walk from the zoo to the botanical gardens?

Are there any convenience stores in downtown Anchorage? or grocery stores?

tx

I guess I'll have to make sure that I get to the shuttle stop early then, since that's a bit pricey for a taxi.

Can you walk from the zoo to the botanical gardens?

Are there any convenience stores in downtown Anchorage? or grocery stores?

tx

No you can not walk from the zoo to the botanical gardens (well you could but we're talking miles between the two) and no there are no convenience or grocery stores in downtown Anchorage.

Closest grocery store I can think of is at 13th and Gambell which from the Comfort Inn and that would be up that hill and then 10 blocks south and 12 blocks east, so that would be a good hike to get to it.

Susan in Anchorage :)

• 5 months later...

Just refound this post! Thanks all for the ideas. We are renting a car, picking up at airport and returning to Avis in town on Sunday. We arrive on Friday night around 5:30 the 17th. So we have Sat and Sun till 6 pm to tour. We are taking the train to Whittier on Monday to board the Coral.

I am thinking we may do the Independence Mine/Palmer one day, or up to Matanuska Glacier. Then maybe down to Girdwood on Sunday.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites, they do have a shuttle to the railroad, so that works for Monday.

Can't believe it is only 2 weeks away.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Just refound this post! Thanks all for the ideas. We are renting a car, picking up at airport and returning to Avis in town on Sunday. We arrive on Friday night around 5:30 the 17th. So we have Sat and Sun till 6 pm to tour. We are taking the train to Whittier on Monday to board the Coral.

I am thinking we may do the Independence Mine/Palmer one day, or up to Matanuska Glacier. Then maybe down to Girdwood on Sunday.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites, they do have a shuttle to the railroad, so that works for Monday.

Can't believe it is only 2 weeks away.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Frankly, I would also look at overnighting in Seward. Fantastic touring options available there that may be of more interest?? Especially excellent for wildlife is Kenai Fjords boat tours- nothing comparable anywhere else for varied wildlife and close up glacier viewing. FAR superior to anything seen from your cruiseship.

Thanks Budget, we did the Columbia Glacier cruise out of Valdez in '04 and it was amazing. I know there is so much to see in Alaska, and hope to come back some day just DH and I and see much more. But for this trip, 3 nights in Anchorage with a car is fine with me.

Our kids are 16 and 20, so we figured this is probably the last 'family' vacation we will have with them. Trying to just enjoy and spend time with them.

I hear that the weather has been great, hope it is when we get up there in a week.

Thanks,

Archived