are cab fares regulated in Cozumel?

punkmuse

we booked a reef snorkel excursion in cozumel and we need to take a cab to the marina or wherever the boat is. the company we booked through says it should cost about $7-$9 (US)

are cab fares regulated in Cozumel or am i gonna have to bargain?

i am NOT a good bargainer.

i assume there will be loads of cabs available at the cruise pier?

we booked a reef snorkel excursion in cozumel and we need to take a cab to the marina or wherever the boat is. the company we booked through says it should cost about $7-$9 (US)

are cab fares regulated in Cozumel or am i gonna have to bargain?

i am NOT a good bargainer.

i assume there will be loads of cabs available at the cruise pier?

The cab fares are not regulated. We were in the same position as you, and our tour operated said it should be $7-8. There were tons of cabs, so at the first one we asked how much it would cost to the marina and were told $12. We said it was too much and started walking to the next cab so he knocked it down to $9. We probably could've talked him lower but we didn't feel like arguing over a price all day so we just paid it.

The fact that you were given a range of prices has more to do with the fact that it depends on where you ship docks as to how much you'll pay. The pier(s) closer to the marina should result in a lower cab fare. There is a sandwich board at the taxi boarding area of each pier with prices to the most popular destinations, as set by the taxi union.

But beware. All drivers do not adhere to these prices. Confirm before you enter the cab.

taxi_rates.jpg

I love Coz & havebeen theremany times.

Be sure & check the board & agree on the price before getting ithe cab.

Coz has a great bunch of people but there are dishonest people everywhere in the world.

I've always gotten a taxi where the fares are posted (except PB and the taxi fare is always reasonable and has remained the same for 3 years). I feel that the fares are so reasonable, I won't "bargain" to save $2. AND, I always tip, some don't. The fares have always been what was posted and I do confirm before we get in. Never had anything but exemplary taxi service though the rides are often scary!;)

Just like any other service, if it was good, I'll tip. 10-20% of the fare on average depending on how good the service was.

Our best taxi driver in Cozumel got a 100 peso tip on the 50 peso fare when he stopped and waited while we went and shopped at the store by the airport on our way from the ferry.

• 5 years later...
So does one tip the taxi driver on top of the specified fare? And if so, about how much on average?

We tip if we pay in pesos, but not in dollars. The unfavorable (but easy) exchange rate serves as a tip (A 90 peso fare is about $6.50, but they exchange 10:1 so it costs $9.). I'll tip if I get extra service.

Edited by skittl1321

Good luck if you think your going to pay the regulated prices. We have had many different experiences with cabs

The best way to handle that, is to ask the cab how much it costs to go to where ever your looking to go. .

I have always found the cab drivers in Coz to be well regulated and the price quoted before I got into the cab has matched the current posted fares. I cannot say the same thing about cabs in Philadelphia! :mad: