Weather question-mexican riveria cruise?

BABYJOSIE98

Ok,

We have cruised Florida so many times and just a week ago out of New Orleans which was a hoot!! Anyway we are considering cruising out of San Diego next year and was wondering which month is best to go? See something new and Disneyland.....

Would March be warm enough to swim and would we be able to do whale watching? Easter in 2010 is in April, but DD school will be out the 3rd week of March. Would that be a crazy Spring break time????

How about October or January???? I could pull her out of school 3 days during both of those months.

I am trying too avoid the BIG spring break crowds around Easter? Would March be better?

We have never been out too the West coast. Want to visit Ensenada and Los Cabos.

Thanks for any advice!

Michelle

The best month here (IMHO) is Sept & early Oct. The weather is beautiful & most of the tourists have gone home, hotel rates also go down a bit. By the end of Oct, the weather is hit & miss, some Halloweens we are in shorts, others we are bundled up. Spring is much the same (hit or miss)... January is generally chilly (our wettest month as well) unless you are cruising south of Cabo. Really - any time of year will be warm past Cabo, with the summer months May/June - Sept being hottest. It's really difficult ot tell for certain - this year we were in shorts until Thanksgiving... then this week we had a few days in the 50s then several days in the high 70s, with nights being in the 40s!

A 7 day or longer cruise wouldn't be too crazy, even in March... but the ports could be. I wouldn't recomend Ensenada as a place to visit unless it just happened to be on the itinerary.

I've seen whales on every cruise I have taken off the west coast... not really 'whale watching' like we have in Jan - March, but there are always whales between Ensenada & Cabo.

Hope that helps!

It seems to me that the water up here in the Los Angeles beaches are too cold to swim in until July or so. I would guess it's the same in San Diego.

I'm not up on the cruises out of SD, but I know the ones from San Pedro and Long Beach that go down to the MR don't include Ensenada (just the Carnival Baja 3 and 4-day cruises at this time). No big loss. I've been to Ensenada off cruise ships 4 times or so, and haven't enjoyed that town once. In fact, on our last cruise (the Hawaii RT that's forced to stop in Ens. the last day), we got off the ship only long enough to go to the marketplace at the pier so hubby can get a trinket for his mother, then we took a few photos, and got back on the ship. I can tell that most passengers stayed on the ship (so many Southern Californians who've done the Baja cruise one too many times).

You could run into lots of college students out on spring break in March. Nowadays, the colleges try to stagger their breaks so that not all of them are out at the same time. Los Angeles Unified School District (which has some 700,000 students, I think) always takes the week leading up to Easter off.

I think whales and other sea life isn't guaranteed. On our Hawaiian cruise, we were on a snorkeling excursion off Maui, and suddenly the boat was stopped and the guide pointed out the whales nearby. They were male whales fighting for the attention of a girl whale. Very interesting. Not expected. I have heard some people go on MR whale watching excursions and be disappointed and others luck out. But I think it's earlier in the year when you have better luck.

We are leaning toward early to mid October..... Flying in on Oct 10th. I think if we do the 4 day cruise we are going to do the ATV/Winery tour in Ensenada. I have read fun things about it on these boards.

Just looking for something different..We have sailed out of Florida so many times. Plus we want to visit Disney Land for a few days...

March is much more expensive and I don't really want to wait that long.

Michelle

We have done the 4 night MR two times and the 7 night MR three times. In my opinion there is no comparison. With the 7 night you will get down farther in Mexico. We have had great excursions in both Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. We have enjoyed Puerto Vallarta so much that we have taken a couple of land vacations there.:)

We have done the 7 night in November and January and always had good weather past Cabo. Both times in January Cabo was in the 70's and a little cool.

I would do the 7 night MR again in a heartbeat, but will not do the 4 night again.

Archived