TACA and/or Avianca

Elcruzer

TACA is a good airline. I'd be happy to fly with them. I haven't been on Avianca in years, so no comment (do NOT take that as a negative, merely that any comment I made would have been helpful 10 years ago <grin>... that was back in the days before Brazilians bought them).

http://www.airlinequality.com/ is a good place to start your due diligence.

I was on Avianca with my family over the holidays. I was happy with the service and comfort on board the aircraft relative to any US airline for coach and would fly on them again. With the exception of a few A330's, the long haul aircraft are B767's so don't look for the latest and greatest in IFE. They also fly B757's.

Making a connection at their hub in Bogota is a snap as the airport is pretty small. One thing that impressed me about Avianca was that their staff both on the ground and in the air was quite good and in sufficient numbers to provide a quality service. This kept lines down to a minimum and made the trip flying with them pleasant.

Good Luck!

Avianca is the oldest airline in the world and has been operating since 1919. They did go through bankruptcy a few years ago (who hasn't?) but were fine when I flew them.

Well, actually it's predecessor (SCADTA, famous to stamp collectors) was the second airline in the world. Sorry, I can't help it; I'm a geeky dweeby nerd. :)

Thanks for everyone's input. For better or worse, we booked on TACA because Avianca was sold out of the less expensive seats on the day we wanted to leave and the price jumped from $400+ to close to $1000. We booked TACA with their promotion. Wish us luck

Curses, I should have checked. It's in the oldest three. Who are the others? KLM? QANTAS?

Doug: Welcome to the geeky, dweeby nerd club.:)

Of airlines still flying, KLM is the oldest and QANTAS ins #2 if one does not include Avianca's predecessor -- and a few others that have been incorporating into existing airlines.

Archived