Who pretans before cruising?

KAWS

Do you pretan before cruising?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pretan before cruising?

• Yes
    • No

I believe you because I do not burn on a cruise either......due to my base tan........

Actually I have not had a sunburn in ages.......due to tanning in a salon first.......

What do you use for an SPF when you are on the cruise and how much time do you spend on deck or on the beach in the sun?

Just curious because I live at the beach June-August (literally). I use SPF 30 and do end up tanned but have still burned sitting in the football stands in September if I've forgotten to put on sunscreen.

What do you use for an SPF when you are on the cruise and how much time do you spend on deck or on the beach in the sun?

Just curious because I live at the beach June-August (literally). I use SPF 30 and do end up tanned but have still burned sitting in the football stands in September if I've forgotten to put on sunscreen.

I normally use the Coppertone Sport sunscreen SPF 15, but if I know I will be out in the sun all day I will use the Sport SPF 30. I always wear 30 on my face plus hat and glasses.......plus I never tan my face in the tanning beds.....

I tan really fast and can get really dark so I don't sit in the sun the whole time......

Funny thing though I get really white when I am not tanning:p........

kiraryker - wasn't going to chime into this thread but couldn't help but laugh when you mentioned your husbands nickname. That's what I'm called too!! I can't tan for nothing! I burn and the next day back to white again!

So, yes, I admit, I do pre-tan!! Like others if I don't I will burn! I don't care what anyone elses opinion is! That's what works for me. I can't even tell you how long it takes me to even start looking a little tan. It's so frustrating! Especially since my husband and son can be outside working and come back in tan! I hate that!

Just to clarify, I don't pre-tan for the color on my skin- i could care less about that. The reason I do it is because if I don't I will BURN even if I have a high spf on. I wear 50 on my face year round and at least 30 whenever I am on vacation because we are in the sun doing something all day long. I re-apply many times through-out the day. I ususally come home the same color as I started which is fine by me- as long as I don't burn. We are very active and are outside from morning until night usually doing some activity not laying in the sun. I just want to be able to swim or even take a walk in the sun without burning as I would without the pre-tan.

I have hair of red & skin a-freckled, so if you see me tanning you'll know my ship has sailed over the edge of the Earth.

Second-degree sunburn, anybody???

Steve

I am like you Steve, red haired (well ok its faded with age)

Being an Australian, i grew up swimming all summer and getting sunburnt. Frying in baby oil to get a tan as a teenager...anything to get brown!

As an adult who knows better and with less time for the beach, i rarely get burnt.

Lucky for me i have brown arms and shoulders...but my legs are a different matter! They stay lily white all year round!

I was considering a spray on tan for the legs for our cruise, but when i read that spraytan only last around 7 -10 days (and my cruise is 28days)...have decided to go with the white legs.

I have given strict intructions of no pics below the waist! I have an old photo of me that a comment was made of me wearing white stockings with my shorts!

Oh well...my fellow passengers will get sunburnt from the sun reflecting off my white legs!

cheers from Oz

Sharon

I'm pale and while this sounds weird, I tan in very early spring so I don't burn in summer. I tan once or twice a week for about 10 minutes. I don't want an actual tan, just to take the edge off my pasty white skin. Then when I get out in the strong Florida sun, I don't need to be quite as cautions with the sunscreen. The thing that still burns on vaction is my scalp where my hair parts, because the tanning bed doesn't get my scalp - but in the last 3 years I've been tanning in early spring, I have never burned anywhere else.

I do believe tanning beds damage skin, but they way I used them I believe they have actually helped my skin in the big picture by preventing those super dangerous burns.

Using a tanning bed is bad for you, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

That being said, I use them occasionally, but never on my face/chest. At least it's a 'controlled burn', rather than hitting the pool/beach on the first day of vacation, over-doing it, and then being miserable for the rest of your trip.

I've never been successful using tanning creams anywhere but my face/chest, which I use all the time. The upkeep with getting it applied evenly on other parts, especially my legs/ankles/feet is more than I'm willing to do. I've read on these boards that tanning towels work well, but I've never tried them.

I've heard good things about tinted moisturizers, so if somebody out there wants to just tone down their blindingly white skin, that might be an option. Of course, doing this doesn't prevent sun damage, so you'd still need to use a sunscreen, but at least nobody would mistake your legs for white socks!! ; )

I do, and using the tanning bed with a little commen sense can obtain you a base tan, And yes having a base tan can keep you from burning if as long as you again use commen sense.

No you cannot stay out in the sun all day with or without a base tan. But you can be out in the sun a little longer with out buring if you do have a base tan... I know because I do it and have been out in the sun for the same amount of time with out a base tan and have burned...

One can obtain a tan without burning as long as you start slow.

Yes, heavy tanning will probably age your skin...it MAY give you skin cancer (but not in all cases) and yes we can die of skin cancer but we can also die of second hand smoke, smoking, drinking to much, and etc.

So IMHO it is a choice we make just like indulging in all the other bad habits.

That may look good temporarily but it will not protect your skin against the sun.

Oh, I guess I should've added that I don't sunbathe and I wear a high SPF when out in the sun. I think tans look great and all, but I don't want premature wrinkles. So that is why I do the tan in the bottle thing, brown skin and no burn or sun damage. :D

Using a tanning bed is bad for you, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. <---I agree 100%.

That being said, I use them occasionally, but never on my face/chest. At least it's a 'controlled burn', rather than hitting the pool/beach on the first day of vacation, over-doing it, and then being miserable for the rest of your trip.

I've never been successful using tanning creams anywhere but my face/chest, which I use all the time. The upkeep with getting it applied evenly on other parts, especially my legs/ankles/feet is more than I'm willing to do. I've read on these boards that tanning towels work well, but I've never tried them. Have you ever tried Mystic Tan? I did this summer and I loved it!

I've heard good things about tinted moisturizers, so if somebody out there wants to just tone down their blindingly white skin, that might be an option. Of course, doing this doesn't prevent sun damage, so you'd still need to use a sunscreen, but at least nobody would mistake your legs for white socks!! ; )

I did the tanning bed thing for one month over 10 years ago...yea, it wasn't for me. Then I tried it again about 6 months later for a "base" before I got married...that was a horrible experience. I itched and itched forever! I convinced myself I was allergic, even though I think it was just a tanning bad burn (skin was still white though?)...

Again, I just think looking at the sun and/or tanning beds as some kind of guilty pleasure is not the right idea.

People tan because they feel better and for the most part, think they look better, too. If getting that color helps protect you burning -- the real danger -- than so much the better.

Our bodies were made to absorb Vit D from the sun, not pills. You can not come close to the amounts that are needed orally (pills). The old recommendation of 400iu, in most supplements, is not enough. You can not OD on what you get from the sun/tanning bed.

The connection is worth looking into. Getting some color --not leather skin --is probably not such a bad idea...the sun may not be such a villian after all.

There is a very neat website out there by the VitD Council....very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

My very pale daughter and I started our preemptive tanning yesterday. 5 minutes twice a week until we sail in 2 1/2 weeks. we'll use our 50 SPF when we get down there. The tanning is to try to ensure that we don't suffer a really serious burn, which we've both had.

Actually that's not completely true about receiving Vit D from tanning beds. The lamps are not set in that manner.

I think a tan looks fantastic, but when the skin starts to sag and the sun spots, age spots and wrinkles appear, you will regret all those fantastic looking tans when you look in the mirror. Use a good tanning towel if you must.

And for those hard core tanning bed folks, do not waste your money on buying one. Go to a good salon, at least you'll be less tempted to jump in the car vs jumping onto your bed.

Actually that's not completely true about receiving Vit D from tanning beds. The lamps are not set in that manner.

Actually, it is completely true. UV is UV....your body uses it the same way to make Vit D.

The question is how much do you need? Enough to justify getting a tan? Maybe not, but it would seem that this would be a benefit from being in the sun or possibly a tanning bed.

There are lots of studies out there now saying 15-20 minutes of unprotected sunshine a day is good for you. (Heard it from Dr. Oz on Oprah....so it must be true ;))

Also...not completely true.

If you go to a salon, ask what type of bed you are getting into.

Tanning beds come in different types--low pressure, that are composed of primarily UVB rays and high pressure, composed of mostly UVA rays. The sun gives of a combination of UVA and UVB.

I researched...the bulbs are not callibrated in any way. They are bulbs. They are either on or off. The intensity comes from the number and wattage of the bulb, just like a bulb that you would use in your home. The more bulbs, the more watts....the stronger the emission of rays. For the most part, the simplest beds in salons would do the trick for me.

When I researched this for my own use, I found that what would benefit would be moderate amount of UVB. The exposure from UVA alone would turn the skin brown, but also not protect against sunburn. UVB is responsible for our bodies production of Vit D.

Professor Tim Oliver, British oncologist has recently come out with a public statement about the use of tanning beds.

Tanning beds come in different types--low pressure, that are composed of primarily UVB rays and high pressure, composed of mostly UVA rays. The sun gives of a combination of UVA and UVB.

I researched...the bulbs are not callibrated in any way. They are bulbs. They are either on or off. The intensity comes from the number and wattage of the bulb, just like a bulb that you would use in your home. The more bulbs, the more watts....the stronger the emission of rays. For the most part, the simplest beds in salons would do the trick for me.

When I researched this for my own use, I found that what would benefit would be moderate amount of UVB. The exposure from UVA alone would turn the skin brown, but also not protect against sunburn. UVB is responsible for our bodies production of Vit D.

Professor Tim Oliver, British oncologist has recently come out with a public statement about the use of tanning beds.

Professor Tim Oliver, British oncologist has recently come out with a public statement about the use of tanning beds. In it, he states that sun exposure benefits out weigh the risks. In the winter months, he advocated the use of a tanning bed in place of sun exposure. He also states that dietary supplement alone is not enough.

To me, it is all about common sense...diet, exercise, time out side in the sun...all done in moderation.

Sorry about the previous posts...mis-clicked the mouse:o

Archived