Who pretans before cruising?

KAWS

Do you pretan before cruising?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pretan before cruising?

• Yes
    • No

Actually, that site you linked to had some very good articles. If you noticed, these doctors also say Vit D can be made from sun or tanning bed exposure. I just think the blanket statements regarding how tanning beds work are not correct. Anyone looking to use a tanning bed should research and ask questions before hopping into that bed.

Of course, it is also a blatant plug for one of their products....don't go in the sun (free)....buy our Vit D capsules (so I benefit, too);)

Let's not forget our high school biology--ADEK.....the fat-soluble vitamins, are the ones you have be careful with. They are necessary for good health, but can be dangerous when taken orally in improper amounts. The amount of Vit D gained from UV is enormous, you can't acheive those rates form pills or diet. Mega dose regimens of Vit D are prescribed and monitored by a doctor. I would be just as afraid of someone taking too much Vit D on their own as I am afraid of some of the leathery skinned people who think that if a little sun is good....then a whole lot most be better.

Again....moderation. Sunburn is a bad and painful thing. I am more afraid of the yearly burns my fair skin suffered growing up. I lived in the age of the 'Coppertone tan' and was advised to 'turn it on with Johnson's':)

Sunburn was a rite of passage every summer. If I should end up with skin cancer (and I pray I don't) I don't think I will be able to point a finger at the moderate exposure I get now. I will realize what burning, then literally frying my skin with oil did to damage my skin cells.

Of course, Johnson's Baby Oil is no longer advertising to use their product in the sun. But isn't it interesting to see the complete turn around by the makers of Coppertone and the like. They spent years telling us to get brown in the sun. Now, they are the most outspoken advocates for sunscreen! Talk about genius marketing....way to save a company in the face of what would have put them out of business!

We've gone twice now for 5 minutes each time...a few days apart. We're slightly beige instead of dead white-blue. Just what we're going for. I'm certainly not looking to be brown....never have been, lol. Just hoping to be less of a total sun magnet and blister surface like I was as a kid. We might get really brave and up it to 6 minutes next time!

Actually I had been referring to the filters that they put on the bulbs. I believe tanning bulbs only give off UVA, and blocked B&C. Can't remember now. I think tanning bulbs do have a place in our lives. They do have beneficial uses, esp the stronger UV bulbs for sanitizing, dermatologic diseases etc.

I do remember the days of Baby Oil, only we topped it up with Iodine and shook well :)

No, I asked...no filters. Certain bulbs are made to be used in what they call the hig-pressure bed. These give off primarily UVA and are the ones that make you get brown by tanning at a deeper level and turning existing brown in your skin browner. Surprisingly, these types of tans do not give the base tan that people are hoping will protect them against burning.

Low-pressure beds are equipped with bulbs that are UVB emitting. These are the rays that will produce a burn. They told me to remember 'B = Burn'. This type of bed needs to be used gradually and produces what people call their 'base tan'.

Peolple should ask questions before starting a tanning program. If you can't find out what you need to know where you are trying to tan, find a place that can tell you about the beds they offer.

We put iodine in,too! How funny to think of that now! That iodine was like an early self-tanner. Some tanning bronzer lotions use iodine to help your skin look browner. I believe they are responsible for making some folks look orange when used. Not least to mention, there a fair amount of people that are allergic to iodine, so also read the ingredients to the lotions.

Archived