Who pretans before cruising?

KAWS

Do you pretan before cruising?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pretan before cruising?

• Yes
    • No

Do you pretan before you go on a winter vacation?

We always have but are thinking that we might take a pass this year.

Wondering what the rest of you do and if you do pretan, how long before you go away do you do it and how often?

I don't pre-tan, and I wear sunscreen year-round to prevent most tanning.

The additional wrinkles, mottled skin and risk of skin cancer aren't worth it, especially when there are such great self-tanners and bronzers available.

If you don't want to have those white Canadian legs, then use a self tanner, and good sunscreen while you are away!

I don't pre-tan, because indoor tanning actually does not help "tan" you like the sun does. Instead it just causes age spots and damages the outer layer of your skin. I use a daily tanning lotion, and then I use sunscreen everyday on the cruise. I usually get a decent tan, and when I am 40 and have fewer wrinkles, it will be worth it!

I start about a month before my cruise and tan 3-4 times a week. Unfortunately, I LOVE tanning - the heat, white noise, relaxation, etc. that goes along with it. But, I limit my tanning to only before a cruise.

Same here! We don't get alot of intense sun here in Upstate NY. After one Florida vacation and a nasty sunburn (on a cloudy day go figure) I learned my lesson. That was one painful sunburn. Since I'm fair skinned without a base tan I burn easily. Once I have a base then the sunscreen does it's job and I don't burn :)

I don't go on vacation often..so I do base tan before I go. Last time I was in a tanning booth was back in 05'. We are leaving on a cruise in a little less than 6 weeks and I just started tanning.

I did the spray tan before a wedding last year and within 3-4 days it was rubbing off. I exfoliated before I went, then made sure to mosturize real well after the spray and it just didn't stick. I was real disappointed considering it was 30.00 a pop.

Me too! I know it's not good for you but if I don't do it, I will burn in the sun even with 45spf on. If I have a light base tan, I do not burn although I still use lots of sunscreen. Even my Dr agrees that it is better than burning although she does not condone it at all.

We can't wear long pants, long sleeves and a hat at all times on vacation even though we probably should!;)

I hear what some of you are saying about the dangers of tanning. I see that you also use self tanners. How ON EARTH do you get that stuff on evenly so you don't have white marks, orange streaks, etc?

I think we've decided we're going to definitely "tone down" our tanning and keep it to about 6 sessions (3xweek for 2 weeks prior) just to set the base so we don't burn. I think I'd rather take my chances with that much pretanning rather than a nasty burn that I know I would get otherwise.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1127175/Top-cancer-doctor-says-SHOULD-sunbed-session.html#

This article is thought provoking. New research is showing the benefits of UV exposure. It makes sense when you think about it. Sun or UV from a tanning bed should be in moderation. It makes sense that burning is dangerous, it does the damage to your skin. I also think tanning till your skin resembles shoe leather is not so smart either.

The links to low levels of Vitamin D and many diseases that plague us today, not to mention the return of ricketts in kids are something to consider. And have you looked at the list of ingredients that make up high SPF products? I'm not so sure I want to slather that on my skin daily!

I think preparing your skin for exposure to the intense sun on a Carribean cruise makes sense. You will still need to protect yourself from burning, but not to the degree if you have not spent any time in the sun at all.

Just my opinion.....

I would guess that in Arizona the chance of getting skin cancer is many 1000's times more than having a vitamin D deficiency that leads to illness. One of those calcium chews like Viactiv has 125% of the daily value of vitamin D for adult women.

This argument reminds me of how it is "safer" to not wear a seat belt because of the occasional time that someone's life is saved by being thrown out of the car.

I do not believe pre-tanning will prevent any kind of sunburn, your skin will still burn even with a "base" tan. All tanning is destructive to your skin, unfortunately most people don't realize it until it is too late and the damage is done.

I don't have a problem with people being white and I'm not impressed with tanned bodies. That we can use the vitamin D from the sun is true, but you don't need to scorch your body to obtain it. Taking a vitamin supplement will do the trick, or drink milk or eat some fish.

I've never been a sun lover, but because of my job I'm in the sun more frequently than most people. I've always protected my face and body with sunscreen, but my hands are constantly washed. I try to remember to reapply sunscreen but many times forget because we are busy. My hands are a testament to why you want to use sunscreen and avoid the sun. They aren't horribly wrinkled (yet) but I have sun spots that my two sisters do not have, they are both older than me.

Enjoy the sun or tanning beds now and you will pay for it later..... later happens sooner than you think.

Not the point of the article at all.

Vitamin D produced by sun/tanning bed exposure is much higher than any levels you can acheive by taking a supplement or eating foods high in Vit.D. You can not OD on Vit D produced by the sun, oral supplements have their limits.

I think the article is suggesting the same thing I have heard Dr. Oz talk about on Oprah.....some sun every day is necessary for good health.

A base tan will not protect you from burning. But it will acclimate your skin to the powerful sun south of the border. After that, use common sense....hats, sunglasses, cover-ups and finding a little shade make sense.

I do not believe pre-tanning will prevent any kind of sunburn, your skin will still burn even with a "base" tan. All tanning is destructive to your skin, unfortunately most people don't realize it until it is too late and the damage is done.

I don't have a problem with people being white and I'm not impressed with tanned bodies. That we can use the vitamin D from the sun is true, but you don't need to scorch your body to obtain it. Taking a vitamin supplement will do the trick, or drink milk or eat some fish.

I've never been a sun lover, but because of my job I'm in the sun more frequently than most people. I've always protected my face and body with sunscreen, but my hands are constantly washed. I try to remember to reapply sunscreen but many times forget because we are busy. My hands are a testament to why you want to use sunscreen and avoid the sun. They aren't horribly wrinkled (yet) but I have sun spots that my two sisters do not have, they are both older than me.

Enjoy the sun or tanning beds now and you will pay for it later..... later happens sooner than you think.

Believe what you want, but for ME, I do not burn if I do a little pre-tanning. I will burn in just 30 minutes even with sunscreen on if I don't. I am not saying it is good for you, I am saying that for me, it is better than burning.

Believe what you want, but for ME, I do not burn if I do a little pre-tanning. I will burn in just 30 minutes even with sunscreen on if I don't. I am not saying it is good for you, I am saying that for me, it is better than burning.

Okie Dokie...just be careful, it's the only skin you've got :)

My hubby and I have just started our pre-tan - we live in ND and we never get to see the sun especially right now so we need it or we will fry the moment we get to FL:( (My husbands nick name during the summer is casper) so ya we are pretty white so a base tan always helps our skin adjust.

I believe you because I do not burn on a cruise either......due to my base tan........

Actually I have not had a sunburn in ages.......due to tanning in a salon first.......

Archived