Main Dining Dress

melgray13

Hello!

I'm going to be going on X for the 1st time in a few weeks. I would like information on what typically is worn in the MDR. My question is not "what can we get away with". Rather, I am interested in what most wear. For example, from my experience, Carnival is more casual than RCCL and Princess is dressier than RCCL.

For formal - long gowns, short dresses?? for the men - tux? dark suit?

Non formal - capri/skirts or nicer dresses? for men - polos or dress shirts?

We're comfortable with any dress code - just trying to get a sense of the "norm"

:)

You'll see a lot of variation. Given that you understand the concept of a "dress code", you'll certainly be doing better than some :p

I always wore long gowns for formal night, but I did feel a little overdressed - cocktail dresses seemed more popular, and some women just went for nice pants and a sparkly top. DH wore a tux, and there were definitely plenty of guys in tuxes, although there were also lots in dark suits - and even some in sports coat, shirt & slacks.

Informal and smart casual seemed to be treated the same, even though we sailed before they were officially united. Capris/skirts were normal, even jeans (nice ones, but still jeans) weren't that unusual. For the guys, many wore shirts & slacks (no tie), but DH opted for a polo shirt on smart casual, and didn't seem at all underdressed.

My advice? Go for what you're comfortable with. If you want to wear a gown, go for it! Everyone will admire it, and you'll get some nice photos :) If you're happier in a cocktail dress, go that way :) You won't look out of place either way.

Hello!

I'm going to be going on X for the 1st time in a few weeks. I would like information on what typically is worn in the MDR. My question is not "what can we get away with". Rather, I am interested in what most wear. For example, from my experience, Carnival is more casual than RCCL and Princess is dressier than RCCL.

We're comfortable with any dress code - just trying to get a sense of the "norm"

We always dress up for formal nights. My wife likes long gowns and I finally bought a tux rather than my dark suit. Lots of folks on board wear the same. But many ladies wear short dressy sparkly stuff as well, even though the men are in tuxes (or suits).

From our last cruise, your non-formal ( now called "smart casual") description was fairly accurate for the most part. You cannot go by us in this regard, as we stick to the old "informal" code which is shirt, tie and jacket for men and dressy outfit for women.

You'll see a variety of long dress, short cocktail dresses, dressy slacks with formal tops or jackets on women and a mixture of tuxes and suits on men. The majority of the passengers will dress somewhere in this category.

On smart casual, you'll see a wider array of styles but casual dresses, skirts, slacks and nice tops seem to be common for women and slacks with a polo or Hawaiian type shirt are commen for men. On occasion, you may see someone in jeans, but it's not the norm in the main dining room and on our Solstice cruise in November, I don't recall seeing any.

Have a wonderful first cruise on X. Bon Voyage!

Hello!

You seem to be prepared. FWIW, I will be wearing a gown both formal nights, husband will be in Tux. I think due to baggage and weight I am going to opt for dresses rather than top and pants combinations in order to save space for smart casual nights. (I think a dress takes less space ditto since I bring it all on my own hangers too) DH will have his dress slacks, shirts and a jacket. On the first and last night I probably will have dressier capris with I don't know what yet on top. Also on that front and back end hubby will have the dockers and sports shirt.

Have a great cruise!:)

On Solstice-

Formal-I wore dark suit, wife wore knee length evening dress. Tuxes were present but a minority.

Smart Casual-I wore polo or dress shirt & slacks, wife wore skirt & blouse. Men's jackets were present but a minority.

We did not feel out of place. Enjoy your cruise!

I think which ship you are going on makes a bit of a difference. We were just on a short 4 day on Century, and there were very few tuxes, so your DH might feel uncomfortable were he to wear one. The women on the other hand were all over the place, as stated above.

I personally do not generally wear dresses on casual nights, but many were. I bring a few pairs of slacks with different tops to wear with each so that it does not take up any room. I find no problem wearing the same slacks, but wouldn't wear the same dress twice, but that's just me. Also, the only ship I have ever seen men in any recognizable number wear Hawaiian shirts is when were were on Pride of America in Hawaii. But that does not mean it would not be acceptable, but I think you are more asking what others wear. Men usually wear variations of slacks or dockers, and whatever they feel comfortable in, golf shirts, long sleeve or short sleeve button down sport shirts and the most common.

Hi.

We are going on our first 7 day RCCL cruise soon.

I am comfortable in a sport jacket, dressy pants, shirt and tie every night, but I don't feel like packing a suit or tux just for 2 dinners. I will not rent a tux. (Party pooper, I know!) :p

What happens if a guy doesn't were a full suit or tux on formal night?

I know this is probably a silly question, but has anyone ever been barred entry to the dining room on "formal night" for not wearing a matching suit or tux?? :o I don't want to cause my wife any embarrassment.

Thanks for your advice.

Archived