Heat wave snorkle tour????

hockeypapa

We have scheduled a day with Heatwave in March. I asked them what is served and they responded with a detailed menu. It sounds better than your typical excursion food and they have a nice bar selection.:D Wine is served with lunch. Send them an email with your questions. - Sue

• 4 weeks later...

I just posted this on another thread but I'm copying/pasting it here for you.

I was on the Heatwave on 2/26. Damien and the guys are great and so much fun! I think there were 12-14 people on my sailing so there was plenty of room for everyone. We visited the turtles and the shipwreck site. At least one of the guys would get in the water with you to make sure you saw the turtles and different fish up close. You certainly won't go hungry or thirsty on this cruise either! I would highly recommend this excursion and would do it again in a heartbeat. I wish I could go back tomorrow!

One thing I will add though - if you are coming from a cruise ship (as most of us are), the email they send you after booking will direct you to leave the main terminal building, walk out the main gates to the roundabout. Once you get to this point, you WILL NOT see anyone with a sign for the boatyard or heatwave cruises. You will have to ask around but it is really unclear and very unsettling to not be able to find the group you've given your credit card number to. They will send a taxi driver to pick you up and he will know how many people he is looking for but other than that, it's a little hit or miss. I would almost recommend making your own sign that says 'Heatwave cruises' and hold it up as you approach the roundabout. You'll probably find the right people faster! :p

After the unsettling start to the tour with the taxi debacle though, I had a blast on the Heatwave and would highly recommend it. There were fewer people on my sailing (on a bigger catamaran) than on the other highly recommended tour company on this site (ahem - no names mentioned).

Please feel free to ask any questions. I really enjoyed my day with Heatwave and would definitely recommend these guys - they will really make your day fun!

progress.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I just posted this on another thread but I'm copying/pasting it here for you.

I was on the Heatwave on 2/26. Damien and the guys are great and so much fun! I think there were 12-14 people on my sailing so there was plenty of room for everyone. We visited the turtles and the shipwreck site. At least one of the guys would get in the water with you to make sure you saw the turtles and different fish up close. You certainly won't go hungry or thirsty on this cruise either! I would highly recommend this excursion and would do it again in a heartbeat. I wish I could go back tomorrow!

One thing I will add though - if you are coming from a cruise ship (as most of us are), the email they send you after booking will direct you to leave the main terminal building, walk out the main gates to the roundabout. Once you get to this point, you WILL NOT see anyone with a sign for the boatyard or heatwave cruises. You will have to ask around but it is really unclear and very unsettling to not be able to find the group you've given your credit card number to. They will send a taxi driver to pick you up and he will know how many people he is looking for but other than that, it's a little hit or miss. I would almost recommend making your own sign that says 'Heatwave cruises' and hold it up as you approach the roundabout. You'll probably find the right people faster! :p

After the unsettling start to the tour with the taxi debacle though, I had a blast on the Heatwave and would highly recommend it. There were fewer people on my sailing (on a bigger catamaran) than on the other highly recommended tour company on this site (ahem - no names mentioned).

Please feel free to ask any questions. I really enjoyed my day with Heatwave and would definitely recommend these guys - they will really make your day fun!

progress.gif

Ashley-

Thanks for the great advice...we are in the process of booking...did you go back to The Boatyard after? If so what was that like and were you able to spend some time before having to head on back to the ship?

Thanks-

Teresa

ps: we will have 4 teens with us--do you think they will like it?

Teresa - I'm glad you're booking. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

We didn't end up staying at the boatyard after we returned from the sail - only because it was already 3:30 and all aboard was at 5pm. We just decided not to take the chance. They do have shuttles that run to the cruise pier every 15 minutes so we probably could have stayed a little longer. It will take you some time to taxi back over (there was traffic) and then navigate back through the terminal building. I would allow at least 30 min prior to all-aboard.

I would have loved to stay at the boatyard though. It wasn't crowded, the music was blaring up at the bar, and there were bikini-clad girls dancing on the bar. Granted this may not be everyone's cup of tea but I thought it looked like fun (I'm 29 by the way). I think your teenagers will love the music and atmosphere. It's definitely a young crowd.

Please keep in mind the issues that I had with transportation to the Boatyard. I believe they explained it as just a fluke since it wasn't their normal taxi driver that day but you WILL NOT see anyone with a sign. Allow a little extra time to get off the ship and walk out to the roundabout (maybe 15 - 20 minutes) before the meeting time. It will take you at least that long to figure out where you're supposed to be. The taxi driver will be compensated by the Boatyard on both trips (to and from) the cruise ship. You do NOT need to pay the driver.

Hope you have a great time!

• 1 month later...
Teresa - I'm glad you're booking. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

We didn't end up staying at the boatyard after we returned from the sail - only because it was already 3:30 and all aboard was at 5pm. We just decided not to take the chance. They do have shuttles that run to the cruise pier every 15 minutes so we probably could have stayed a little longer. It will take you some time to taxi back over (there was traffic) and then navigate back through the terminal building. I would allow at least 30 min prior to all-aboard.

I would have loved to stay at the boatyard though. It wasn't crowded, the music was blaring up at the bar, and there were bikini-clad girls dancing on the bar. Granted this may not be everyone's cup of tea but I thought it looked like fun (I'm 29 by the way). I think your teenagers will love the music and atmosphere. It's definitely a young crowd.

Please keep in mind the issues that I had with transportation to the Boatyard. I believe they explained it as just a fluke since it wasn't their normal taxi driver that day but you WILL NOT see anyone with a sign. Allow a little extra time to get off the ship and walk out to the roundabout (maybe 15 - 20 minutes) before the meeting time. It will take you at least that long to figure out where you're supposed to be. The taxi driver will be compensated by the Boatyard on both trips (to and from) the cruise ship. You do NOT need to pay the driver.

Hope you have a great time!

I am booked on this tour in two weeks and was wondering about the timing. My tour starts at 9am and lasts 4.5 hours.. What made it that you didn't get back until 3:30? I too was hoping to hit up the boatyard afterwards. Thanks!

There were only a few people on my sailing from the cruise ships. The rest of the group were staying at nearby hotels/resorts and were a bit late arriving. I think we got a really late start and probably didn't pull out until around 10:30am. Hopefully that was just a rare occurrence - the crew was already loaded and ready to go at 9am so it was just the passengers that held up the process.

We've done Heatwave twice and love it! We rank it as one of the best cruise ship excursions we've done. The first time there were only about 10 couples on the catamaran (6 of us from the ship and 4 from a resort). The second time we got a group together before we left on the cruise on the Roll Call board. There were about 20 of us from the ship. We had a blast!! The food is yummy and the drinks are cold (and plentiful). If we ever go back to Barbados we'll be sure to book Heatwave again.

I was just on the heatwave tour back in march and have to say it was by far the best excursion i've ever been on! it was so much fun and everything was perfect. the bar was open the second we set sail right until we got back. for lunch they served chicken, rice, pork, and salad, which was all really good. the snorkeling was the best i've ever done, there were hundreds of fish all around us. I really enjoy catamaran sailing and I am currently looking for another excursion like this one for my next cruise, but i know it will probably not live up to this one. the next time i'm back in barbados i am definitely doing this again! The boatyard beach is breathtaking!

I was just on the heatwave tour back in march and have to say it was by far the best excursion i've ever been on! it was so much fun and everything was perfect. the bar was open the second we set sail right until we got back. for lunch they served chicken, rice, pork, and salad, which was all really good. the snorkeling was the best i've ever done, there were hundreds of fish all around us. I really enjoy catamaran sailing and I am currently looking for another excursion like this one for my next cruise, but i know it will probably not live up to this one. the next time i'm back in barbados i am definitely doing this again! The boatyard beach is breathtaking!

Did you get dropped off at the boatyard at the end or did you make your way over there yourself? What time did you arrive back? We are trying to decide is we should stay at the boatyard or head to Accra Beach? I have read otehr reviews that said the boatyard was not great....

You'll be at the Boatyard Beach when you get on and off the catamaran. The dock is located right in the middle of the beach so you should be able to determine whether you like the area or not prior to getting on the catamaran. I'm not sure about getting to another beach after the sail - it all depends on what time you get back and what time your cruise ship sails. You'll have to gauge that when you get back off the catamaran.

If it were me, I would probably just stay at Boatyard. The shuttles run every 15 minutes from Boatyard back to the cruise pier and they're free, which is nice. The beach itself is actually nice - some people just don't like the atmosphere. Really though, it's no more young and rowdy than any normal bar next to the beach.

I think it will just have to be a game-time decision based on the timing of the day.

Archived