Iberia or another option Madrid to Venice

rhsjr

In September we cruise from Venice to Barcelonia. Getting there we are using American points flying American to Madrid and since Iberia is a partner, Iberia Madrid to Venice (2 1/2 hrs). I have read so many bad reviews about Iberia I am very very concerned. Should we look for another option Madrid to Venice or fly Iberia for the 2.5 hrs?:eek:

I don't see a need for you to do that. I have traveled many times on Iberia for intra Europe flights and they have been fine. Iberia is not better or worse than American, Continental, or any other large carrier. One advantage of continuing your flight on Iberia is that you can check your lugagge through to Venice. Also, American Airlines flights arrive at Terminal 4 , which is the same terminal Iberia uses.

If you want another option, Vueling flies that route. Remember that you will be limited in luggage. They fly nonstop once a day, currently set for 12H45. For September they are currently selling for anywhere from €70 to €110 each way. The luggage limit is 20 kg per person with a €10 fee, if prepaid on the Internet, but €20 if done in person. They charge €8 per kilo of excess luggage. One piece of carry-one at 10 kg.

Vueling is a copy of Jet Blue, which is a copy of SouthWest. They fly all Airbus A320-214s. Jet Blue owns 7% of the airline.

Like Ephraim points out, you have to pay for checking lugagge at Vueling . The other problem is that you will not be able to check your lugagge through to Venice . You will have to claim your lugagge in Madrid and re-check it at the Vueling counter. This to me is a hassle.

And, of course, you will be spending money you wouldn't spend if you kept the Iberia connection.

Any airline has issues. Iberia's issues are no different.

Vueling has been my favorite intra-Europe airline. However, they are being merged with Clinckair which is 80% owed by Iberia. I always worry about traveling soon after such a merger. Just a thought.

Iberia has 4 non-stop flights a day on this route. That is a good thing. If you -- or your luggage-- miss the flight, there would be a excellent chance of getting there without an extensive delay. While not an Iberia fan at all, if I were you, I would stick with the AA->Iberia routing.

We always fly AA from Miami to Madrid and Iberia to Málaga (don't have a choice). The last two times Iberia have lost some of our bags.

We arrived in Madrid from Miami at 8.30am last week. Our connecting flight with Iberia was cancelled:mad: We left 5 hours late and minus two pieces of baggage which arrived two days later. I would avoid Iberia if possible.

It´s a mediocre airline, but as most airlines in the sector. I wouldn´t be too concerned about it. In case of luggage damage, they are probably the most generous airline in Europe. The best thing is that in case something goes wrong, Oneworld network is so big, that you get to your destination more quickly than others.

Crews?. Well, depends. You might have really nice ones, and indolent indeed. Pilots tend not to tell anything to passengers at any time. Pretty safe and efficient as far as performance is concerned. Should you fly A319 they are quite packed. Some A320 has also been fitted with new reccaro seats. Leather, but not a nice pitch.

No free drinks on board. Quite extensive list of drinks and snacks, but a bit overprized. Sandwitches are just great. As Spanish we don´t really value our airline, but I would mind flying with them.

The main knock on Iberia is that if something goes wrong (lost baggage, missed connection, etc.) they are quite unhelpful.

I agree.

In December, our Iberia flight from Miami was late arriving in Madrid, so we missed our connecting Iberia flight to Venice.

We were surprised that no Iberia staff met the arriving plane to provide advice to transferring passengers on what to do.

Archived