British Isles Information

archos

I will taking the July 19th cruise to the British Isles in July....I will staying two night pre cruise and l night post at Heathrow airport. I am traveling with 7 other people. Everyone would like to see stonehenge, Bath and Salisbury. Should be do the sights when we leave London to catch our cruise in Southhamptonor should we dedicate one of days in London to due the 8 to 10 hour tours they offer? I heard that Stonehenge,Bath and Salisbury is on the way to Southhampton.

Archos

A quick geography lesson might help - although the UK is small by US standards, it isn't that small :)!

Southampton is 80 miles south west of London, about 1h 10 on the train from Waterloo. Salisbury is about the same distance from London, but west south west, i.e not on the way to Southampton. Trains also go from Waterloo, take about 1h 15. Stonehenge is about 10 miles north of Salisbury and Bath is about 35 miles north west of Stonehenge. Bath is due west of London, about 95 miles takes about 1h 30 into Paddington station.

You will have difficulty seeing Bath, Stonehenge and Salisbury on your way to the ship in Southampton so plan to spend a day on a circular tour from London. It's a well trodden route with plenty of tours on offer, either combining train and tour bus, or on a tour bus all the way. As a tip - getting in and out of London by road is never quick, so if you can find a tour that starts and ends by train you'll get much more out of the day.

Hope this helps

Vortigern

Last August we shared a ride with other CC folk on our way from London to Southampton to embark. We took in Stonehenge and Salisbury though had very little time in Salisbury. It would have been nice to spend longer there as it is very quaint. We left London about 0830/0900ish and arrived at the port about 2-3pm. We did hit some traffic which slowed us down.

It's too bad you can't do your second pre-cruise night in one of your favoured destinations, and then just continue touring on to Southampton and the ship. That way you could add in Winchester on the way. Try not to be disappointed by Stonehenge, many people are. Bath is a very nice place to spend a night.

Archived