How's the sushi?

warmwinds

I've sort of tried it (bites of other people's), but I figure not having to pay for it would be a good opportunity to try some new things. I'm really interested in sashimi (I think), the real raw fish - not stuff like California rolls. Is the quality on board good?

Is it on the lunch buffet or where can I find it? Will be on the Summit.

I've sort of tried it (bites of other people's), but I figure not having to pay for it would be a good opportunity to try some new things. I'm really interested in sashimi (I think), the real raw fish - not stuff like California rolls. Is the quality on board good?

Is it on the lunch buffet or where can I find it? Will be on the Summit.

The quality is fair/good, the selection is somewhat small. You will find a sushi bar set up each evening (open from 6-10pm only) portside aft. Just go into the buffet area, and you will find the sushi and pasta stations open each evening. There are usually 3 or 4 sushi selections (always salmon and shrimp), a few roll selections, but I do not recall sashimi. It could have been there, but I prefer sushi pieces, so I could have missed it. It is a very underused area, so you will have lots of space and service.

For lunch, I strongly recommend you do not waste your appetite on the buffet, head straight for the fresh pasta station, which is open daily at noon. The lunch buffet tends to be the poorest quality food on the ship.

Also, check poolside for what days they will be having ribs or other special selections, other than the daily burgers and dogs.

The quality is fair/good, the selection is somewhat small. You will find a sushi bar set up each evening (open from 6-10pm only) portside aft. Just go into the buffet area, and you will find the sushi and pasta stations open each evening. There are usually 3 or 4 sushi selections (always salmon and shrimp), a few roll selections, but I do not recall sashimi. It could have been there, but I prefer sushi pieces, so I could have missed it. It is a very underused area, so you will have lots of space and service.

For lunch, I strongly recommend you do not waste your appetite on the buffet, head straight for the fresh pasta station, which is open daily at noon. The lunch buffet tends to be the poorest quality food on the ship.

I would agree that the sushi is only fair, being made from frozen seafood. In the past, I would have agreed with you on the buffets, but the one on Solstice has totally changed the game. The buffet there is now some of the best food on the ship!

I would agree that the sushi is only fair, being made from frozen seafood. In the past, I would have agreed with you on the buffets, but the one on Solstice has totally changed the game. The buffet there is now some of the best food on the ship!

Hi Caliber !

I agree on both points. I feel the sushi is good enough, and a welcome snack late in the early evening, especially if you have late seating for Dinner.

As for the buffet, in the past, it was often a sore point for me. However, On Solstice, I felt that Celebrity did a fantastic job upgrading the buffet. and it's now an excellent meal. I hope Celebrity plans to expand the S-Class buffet food selections to all of their ships.

My boys just returned home from their Solstice cruise this evening. They found the sushi at the Oceanview Cafe to be a complete disappointment from previous cruises. The only sushi available was yellowfin tuna that appeared to be decidedly less than fresh, and some California rolls. When they asked if there was any sashimi, the server offered to remove the rice from the past-due tuna.

They were also underwhelmed by the sushi offered at Silk Harvest. They felt it was mediocre. They enjoyed the rolls and the hot items.

I agree with all the above posters. On Infinity last August I found the sushi to be fair at best. At the time sushi was my favorite meal and I only had it once and didn't bother having it again the whole week.

I don't think a week long cruise is something that lends itself to fresh sushi.

Ron

I've never had a problem with the sushi or the lunch buffet. The sushi has always been nicely presented and always fresh, as mentioned above frozen fresh can be, and the lunch buffet always has a variety of nicely prepared food. I guess some just expect gourmet everywhere just because they are on a ship! You definitely will not starv. I will recommend the sandwich counter that's aft deck 10 in the afternoon's. Same place as where the sushi is in the evenings. Very fresh and you can have them make you any sandwich any way you want it. Very nice, especially sitting out back in the open watching the waves go by! ;)

Archived