Beware: suite guarantee on Carnival Liberty

Clarkk W Griswald

I'm taking my first Carnival cruise soon, and decided to upgrade from an 8C to a suite guarantee. This is the first time I've ever booked a guarantee and knew that I could be given any category 11, or if I was one of the lucky few, maybe even get a category 12. I thought that all category 11 suites were the same, so I didn't have a problem with whatever location I was given.

Boy, was I was wrong. Seems that 2 of the category 11 suites (9205 and 9206) have half the balcony that all the other 11's have. Well, by now I'm sure you can guess, I got assigned 9206. What a disappointment. It wouldn't matter to me if they all had the same size balcony. But, I can't help feeling a little upset, because I didn't know that 2 of them had smaller balconies.

So, let this be a warning if you book a guarantee. Look at every possible cabin in the category before booking a guarantee. You might find one or two cabins that you know they won't be able to sell, so they'll throw that into the guarantee pool and you may be stuck with it.

GO STEELERS!

I think with GTYs, the early bird typically will get the better cabins. In any event, whenever I have done GTYs, I have always ended up in a higher category. Sooner or later, I may end up with a clunker, but I have already saved a ton of money.

Go Cardinals!

I'm taking my first Carnival cruise soon, and decided to upgrade from an 8C to a suite guarantee. This is the first time I've ever booked a guarantee and knew that I could be given any category 11, or if I was one of the lucky few, maybe even get a category 12. I thought that all category 11 suites were the same, so I didn't have a problem with whatever location I was given.

Boy, was I was wrong. Seems that 2 of the category 11 suites (9205 and 9206) have half the balcony that all the other 11's have. Well, by now I'm sure you can guess, I got assigned 9206. What a disappointment. It wouldn't matter to me if they all had the same size balcony. But, I can't help feeling a little upset, because I didn't know that 2 of them had smaller balconies.

So, let this be a warning if you book a guarantee. Look at every possible cabin in the category before booking a guarantee. You might find one or two cabins that you know they won't be able to sell, so they'll throw that into the guarantee pool and you may be stuck with it.

GO STEELERS!

I am sorry it happened to you but that can happen. I do understand your post is a warning for others but some people always just like to bust chops and I'm not one of them . Sorry and thanks for the warning.

P.S. I know you weren't crying. That was uncalled for;)

Makes as much sense as thinking you're getting a raw deal when you get a cabin with 100 more suare feet and 25 square feet less of balcony.

LOL!!!

So maybe the thread should be "beware, you might end up with a LARGER suite with a suite gty on the Liberty"

I'm surprised that 2 cabins have smaller balconies....and yes....larger room as some pointed out...but for me, the suite would be larger enough and I would be disappointed too. Glad you posted this info - football scores I could have done without so obviously but I'll refrain from snide commments about those since each person feels different info is important, even on a cruise site.

I was just looking at booking a suite guarantee on the Freedom so this info is appreciated. Now I think I'll stick with just a balcony guarantee.

Thanks for the info!

Since we're in the topic of "Beware of Guarantees" there are some balconies all the way forward on the Empress deck which have a huge search light just hanging off the balcony which will block your view.

Also, the aft balconies, although larger, don't have a sofa in the cabin.

So even if you book a balcony guarantee, you could end up with something less than what you wanted.

-0-

Going back to the suite guarantee, normally when Carnival has this option available is because there are some less than desirable suites still available. In the Fantasy class, anytime that this option is available, you can almost guarantee that the suites that are available are the ones blocked by a lifeboat.

Live and learn...!

I'm surprised that 2 cabins have smaller balconies....and yes....larger room as some pointed out...but for me, the suite would be larger enough and I would be disappointed too. Glad you posted this info - football scores I could have done without so obviously but I'll refrain from snide commments about those since each person feels different info is important, even on a cruise site.

I was surprised as well, hence the point of this thread. I didn't know the room was larger. However, we spend alot of time on our balcony, so, to us, it is disappointing. Not a dealbreaker, though.

In the Fantasy class, anytime that this option is available, you can almost guarantee that the suites that are available are the ones blocked by a lifeboat.

Unless they let you book a suite GTY with 4 people, which they have done occasionally. The 11s on the Fantasy class only hold 3, so you're guaranteed a 12. ;)

Unless they let you book a suite GTY with 4 people, which they have done occasionally. The 11s on the Fantasy class only hold 3, so you're guaranteed a 12. ;)

Now, THAT's the way to work the system! :D

We had 9205 (Cat 11) on the Splendor this past New Years cruise and were very disappointed as well by the diminished balcony. We were unaware of that beforehand. Cabin itself was nice, albeit oddly shaped.

That said, 9205 was the last Cat 11 available on the ship so we figured there was probably a reason for that... Not recommended.

We had 9205 (Cat 11) on the Splendor this past New Years cruise and were very disappointed as well by the diminished balcony. We were unaware of that beforehand. Cabin itself was nice, albeit oddly shaped.

That said, 9205 was the last Cat 11 available on the ship so we figured there was probably a reason for that... Not recommended.

When I booked the suite guarantee, there were 10 cat 11's left. As of now, there is still 7 cat 11's left. 9205/9206 are both booked. Guess they need to get rid of them first.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about booking one of these smaller balcony suites on the triumph because I'd like to be on the lido deck... Does anyone have any pics? Also, I believe there are "secret doors" out to the forward deck and I'm wondering if any windows from these cabins look out onto a public deck area. I can deal with a smaller balcony, but worrying about keeping my drapes closed is a definite deal breaker.

Since we're in the topic of "Beware of Guarantees" there are some balconies all the way forward on the Empress deck which have a huge search light just hanging off the balcony which will block your view.

Also, the aft balconies, although larger, don't have a sofa in the cabin.

So even if you book a balcony guarantee, you could end up with something less than what you wanted.

-0-

Going back to the suite guarantee, normally when Carnival has this option available is because there are some less than desirable suites still available. In the Fantasy class, anytime that this option is available, you can almost guarantee that the suites that are available are the ones blocked by a lifeboat.

Live and learn...!

We booked a suite guarantee on the Ecstacy and had the pleasure of looking at the lifeboat. It was the last suite left, it was better than having no balcony, and I knew we were going to have an obstructed view before we sailed. However, I was not prepared for how totally obstructed it was. WOW! The location on the Veranda deck was awesome. We were close to it all. I would do it again.

Not to be mean, but I never have any sympathy for people that book a guarantee cabin, then they wind up unhappy with the cabin they are assigned. That is the nature of the guarantee, and that is why it is cheaper.

I spend a great deal of time in my cabin, so I am very interested in getting the best cabin possible. Therefore I never book guarantees, because I wouldn't want to spend my week displeased just becasue I was trying to save a few bucks. I say pay full price and get exactly what you want.:D

The ony people I would tell to get guarantees are:

1. People that can only afford to sail if they get the cheapest inside guarantee possible.

2. People who swear that they are only in their cabins when they sleep.

Cabins #9205 and 9206 are a few square feet smaller than a cat 12 cabin and just under 50% larger than all the other cat 11 cabins. So, while the OP is unhappy with this, others may enjoy the larger cabin and minisculey smaller balcony.

I booked 9206 on the Conquest once and you are correct the cabin was quite a bit larger than the Cat 11 on the Empress Deck (we have also stayed in one of those). I loved the cabin and the location. For me it wasn't so much that the balcony was smaller my problem with 9206 was it was so windy out on the balcony that it was almost impossible to sit out there and read a book or relax on sea days.

Since then we have gone back to the regular Cat 11 on Empress Deck on Conquest class.

GO STEELERS!

If I were to choose a cat 11 on Carnival Liberty, I would choose one of the two on deck nine that you got 'stuck' with. You'll have easier access to the pool decks than any other suite on the ship; just a walk down your hallway. You'll also have easy access to deck nine forward which is one of the most private decks on the ship. You'll also have a window facing forward which is also rare.

Personally I'd be thrilled to get one of those two on a guarantee. :)

I was thinking about booking one of these smaller balcony suites on the triumph because I'd like to be on the lido deck... Does anyone have any pics? Also, I believe there are "secret doors" out to the forward deck and I'm wondering if any windows from these cabins look out onto a public deck area. I can deal with a smaller balcony, but worrying about keeping my drapes closed is a definite deal breaker.

hi, we stayed in 9206 on the conquest and the windows did look out on a public deck, but they were mirrored and i tried and could not see in from the deck. Yes balcony was a bit smaller and the cabin larger.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm the dimensions on the 9205 and 9206 on the Splendor? According to the website the different in size is 30 square feet and that is due to the smaller balcony. I hear that they are larger inside, but how come it is not reflected in the dimensions?

Archived