Great news - I'm cruising! But...

QTMichele

...I'll be taking three kids (ages 9, 6 and 14 months at the time of the cruise). My DH most likely will not be going with us due to his work schedule - we won't know for sure until December. :( On a positive note, my parents, siblings, niece and nephew will be going so I won't be without adult companionship. (Thank goodness!) We'll be sailing on the Freedom of the Seas, January 2010. :D

I'm very, VERY excited; however, I am a little nervous/anxious about the baby. I've read several posts here and know to take along a small inflatable pool, but I'm pretty clueless as to what else I need to prepare for... please help! :p

Here are a few things I've thought of...

• I will bring a stroller - will a Peg Perego P3 be okay? It folds up somewhat compactly and has the ameneties of a full size stroller, but is not as compact as the Combi. I'd prefer the Peg because it's nicer (better for napping and shade), but I'd like your advice.
  • What items should I bring to keep my baby occupied? I don't want to pack the kitchen sink, but I want to have enough to survive the week.
  • Speaking of "surviving," what is it like cruising with a 1 year old?
  • I plan on getting a babysitter for at least a few days/nights. For those who have used this service, were you comfortable AND was it a problem securing a babysitter?
  • Will I be able to find baby friendly foods easily? It would be great if I didn't have to worry about this, with the exceptions of some baby snacks.
  • What other tips/suggestions/comments do you have?

THANKS so much for any advice you have to share with me. :)

I just posted this to someone else traveling with a baby....sorry if I'm repeating too often.....

But for storage with 3 kids I'd pick up an over the door shoe organizer...the plastic or netted type. We bought the clear plastic ones for single shoes...think it has like 24 pockets for shoes....hangs over the back of a door......we stored EVERYTHING in this thing....cameras, room keys, sunglasses, lotion, toys, shoes, hats, bathing suits, pj's, papers, - each of us used 2 rows for our stuff (stuff that normally would have cluttered up the rest of the room). It was neat and organized and we could quickly find what we were looking for with the clear plastic pockets.

Highly recommended with a room full of kids! Judy

See, I've never understood how to fill or EMPTY an inflatable pool---where in the world and how in the world do you do that???

Bring for everyone exactly what you'd bring on a land-based vacation-it's really not that different! Except for the baby--bring whatever "personal" type items you'll need!

We started sailing with our DD at 7months. It was so great we sailed again at 12mo, 19mo, 2yrs, 2.5yrs and 3 yrs. Lets see, we bring the inflatable pool and use it in the cabin shower as a "bathtub" and on deck in an out of the way place as a pool. Fill it using pool water or water from the outdoor showers, ask the bartender for an empty beer bucket. Drain it in the drains next to the pool. We have always brought our peg aria stroller, fits perfect everywhere. Food wise, there will be plenty your child can eat..cheerios, bananas, oatmeal, mac n cheese, rice, soft meats. They will be eating mostly soft table food by then. You may want to bring a few favorite snacks (gerber type snacks) and some portable milk (it comes in a juice box type container but doesnt have to be refrigerated). We use that to take into ports. You can always get milk onboard in the restaurants or buffet for onboard. Bring a colapsible softside cooler and tell your room steward to keep it filled with ice. Bring lots of disposable bibs (pampers bibsters), sippy cups, a small trial size dishsoap to wash them in cabin sink. At that age for toys my DD loved stacking cups and little squeezy water toys. You can also bring a blow up beach ball and bubbles. They will provide a pack in play but bring your own sheets and favorite sleeping items (pacifier, blankies, stuffed animals). As soon as you get onboard go to the pursers desk and reserve the babysitter, they put a request into a computer and its sent to the staff, its on a first come first serve basis. Cruising with a one yr old is more challenging than an infant since they are mobile, but really they are enthralled by everything going on around them. It wont be any more difficult than it is at home actually its easier since you have access to food already prepared and youy have someone cleaning up after you 24/7. At that age, they love the people and music and ship itself with all the lights and colors. RCCL also has the aquababies play groups where you go with them and play with age appropriate toys and sing songs.

I just posted this to someone else traveling with a baby....sorry if I'm repeating too often.....

But for storage with 3 kids I'd pick up an over the door shoe organizer...the plastic or netted type.

Judy - With a 3 month old, it's hard to catch all the posts. I appreciate you posting again (I missed your other post). It's difficult making time to read many of the posts here.

I do have a great travel organizer that I will bring - can't live without it!!! Thanks for the tip. :)

See, I've never understood how to fill or EMPTY an inflatable pool---where in the world and how in the world do you do that???

Bring for everyone exactly what you'd bring on a land-based vacation-it's really not that different! Except for the baby--bring whatever "personal" type items you'll need!

Thanks, CB. :) I think I'll bring a very small pool because, unlike land vacations, my baby will only be able to *swim* in the baby area. I'm terrified that it could close down, then we would have no water options.

They will provide a pack in play...

Thanks so much for the great ideas! Also, I had no idea they ship provided a pack-n-play. Are they new'ish/clean?

Let me just say that there were no inflatable pools on my most recent cruise and there were plenty of babies.

We were on Independence of the Seas and there isn't a place for an inflatable pool. There isn't enough room on the deck and I don't think other passengers would be happy with this. There is a baby H20 area where they can cool off in the sprinklers. So I wouldn't bother with the pool.

There is no room in the shower for an inflatable pool- it is round with round doors and is very small.

There were lots of babies on this sailing and they all looked like they were having alot of fun. I must say though that the parents of an adorable 14 month old girl were very worn out and they had their extended family with them. As long as you know that you will be on the go most of the time- then you will be happy on your cruise.

We took our then 15m son on a cruise and didnt bring an inflatable pool and he was fine. There was a small kids splash area for him to play in.

He showered with us.

He was happiest being able to just crawl up stairs anywhere he could find them (and where he was out of the way of other travelers).

We brought him to dinner with us every night and only once on our week long cruise did my husband have to leave dinner a bit early with him as he would not settle down and started crying.

I'd skip the baby pool since you'll be on a ship with a baby splash area. You can create about an inch of "bathwater" by putting a washcloth over the drain in the shower and turning the water on. If your stateroom is a JS or higher, you get a tub/shower combo.

My big "don't forgets" were: a couple of sippy cups and dishsoap to wash them with, enough diapers (swim and regular) for the journey (don't forget beach days in port), bibs (if your child still tolerates them), sunscreen, watershoes or crocs, a hat, and a t-shirt reserved for using while swimming (or rashguard). I'd tell you to bring some toys for the stateroom, but RCCL has a new "lending library" of toys which sounds even better.

There is a baby H20 area where they can cool off in the sprinklers. So I wouldn't bother with the pool.

There were lots of babies on this sailing and they all looked like they were having alot of fun. I must say though that the parents of an adorable 14 month old girl were very worn out and they had their extended family with them. As long as you know that you will be on the go most of the time- then you will be happy on your cruise.

I'm sure Jackson will wear me out, but I'm also going with the expectation of having no expectations (hey, it worked on our Disney trip when I took my 6 month old DD! lol). Personally, vacationing with babies and toddlers has never felt like a true "vacation" to me, but I'm still excited about going on them! :)

We took our then 15m son on a cruise and didnt bring an inflatable pool and he was fine. There was a small kids splash area for him to play in.

He showered with us.

He was happiest being able to just crawl up stairs anywhere he could find them (and where he was out of the way of other travelers).

We brought him to dinner with us every night and only once on our week long cruise did my husband have to leave dinner a bit early with him as he would not settle down and started crying.

I'm so happy to hear your positive experience! My fingers are crossed that our experience is just as nice. :)

I'd skip the baby pool since you'll be on a ship with a baby splash area. You can create about an inch of "bathwater" by putting a washcloth over the drain in the shower and turning the water on. If your stateroom is a JS or higher, you get a tub/shower combo.

My big "don't forgets" were: a couple of sippy cups and dishsoap to wash them with, enough diapers (swim and regular) for the journey (don't forget beach days in port), bibs (if your child still tolerates them), sunscreen, watershoes or crocs, a hat, and a t-shirt reserved for using while swimming (or rashguard). I'd tell you to bring some toys for the stateroom, but RCCL has a new "lending library" of toys which sounds even better.

Thanks so much for your advice and tips. Can you tell me more about the "lending library"? I haven't seen anything on their website (go figure).

Thanks for the thoughts about the baby pool. My only concern about not bringing one is if the baby area is closed (as I read in another post). I can't imagine being on the pool deck and not allowing my baby to get wet (just seems like cruel and unusual punishment - for both of us! lol), especially since I wouldn't allow him to go into the regular pools/water zone (I know the rules and why they exist.). The "pool" I would order is VERY small and takes up minimal room (it's just a tad bigger than a toddler). Of course, I would not intrude on other passenger's space. :)

Archived