Crane Beach Resort

LIMPIT

On Sea Princess at Barbados in April, and plan to visit Crane Beach.

Crane Beach Resort (which looks really nice) have confirmed that a day pass which allows access to the beach incl lounger and towel is $25 BDS per person, which is redeemable in the restaurant.

Crane Beach has advised that the approx cost of a taxi from the Ship dock is $35 USD in each direction, however I have previously read that you can get to Crane Beach by local bus (no 12a) from Fairchild Street Station for the cost of less than $1 in each direction.

Has any other CC members any previous experience of visiting Crane Beach Resort, and did they get taxi or bus, is the bus safe to travel independently, how long to get there ?

Appreciate any help.:cool:

Hi, and thank for the response.

Any idea of the cost for chair hire, is it possible to use the pool at the hotel, is there a bar on the beach or do you need to go to the hotel, what are the drink/food prices like at the Hotel and is it worth the hike to visit for the day.

Any further info would be appreciated.

Lee

We did ride the bus to Crane Beach several years ago. I found the instructions here on the boards and we followed them with no issues. We did have to be directed to the bus stop as it was quite a walk from the port. The bus ride to the beach was probably about 45 minutes or so. We didn't go to the resort, but went to the beach. A local directed us how to get to Crane beach down an alley way and then over a rocky path. The bus ride was fine, but the hike over this "rock path" to the beach was quite treacherous.

On the return trip, we ended up on a small van rather than one of the larger busses. Myself and my boyfriend each took a different bus seat so we could look out the window. None of the locals would sit with us?! It got to be really amusing...most would prefer to stand than to sit with us. We finally paired back up...never could figure out why no one wanted to sit with us. We were the only Americans on the bus until we nearly got back to the port area when finally some other cruisers around the Boatyard area got on...then the van got jam-packed.

We didn't go to the resort, but went to the beach.

A local directed us how to get to Crane beach down an alley way and then over a rocky path.

The bus ride was fine, but the hike over this "rock path" to the beach was quite treacherous.

The path over the rocks is not too bad.

It's been improved upon somewhat

by the addition of stepping stones etc. as per this recent photo

It looks to be at least 50 yards of it, from what I can make out in this shot..

CraneBeach-94.jpg

still...it's no place for those walking with a cane, or wheelchairs,

or wobbly elderly no longer firm on their feet

The rocky area the path navigates over...is this(taken from the point, looking back)

NEapproach-98.jpg

Just be careful!

Those stepping stones were there when we last visited. Personally, I still had trouble making it to from one stepping stone to the next as they were unevenly spaced and some had quite a drop off. I'm not very athletic, but do have reasonably good balance...am in my mid-40s.

After going over and back on this path, I thought accessing via the resort would have been worth the $25. We watched several other much younger folks go over this path and they had just as much trouble. Seems like the men had less issues, by and large, than the females. I don't like to generalize, but I think the ladies might be less "risk-takers."

There were several stops where you would have to jump from one stone to the next and the rocks between these stones are very jagged. I was very nervous the whole time thinking I was going to fall. On the trip back, the tide had risen and we had to wade through water just to get to the stepping stone walkway. IMHO the resort access would be worth the cost.

No pool use. Crane doesn't have a "day-pass" offer. They have beach access pass only, which is basically just being allowed to pass through the hotel property to the beach, but the fee is redeemable for food/beverages. So you can use the restroom at the restaurant, but that's about it. There is an outdoor shower on the old stairway you could use, but no chairs and no pool unless you're a resort guest. (I've seen the staff asking non-guests to leave the pool area)

The other option is to use the public access. It's not that challenging.. just walk onto the concrete foot path to the beach. Did you know that most cruise lines will pack a lunch for you to take to the beach if you just ask for it?

I think the vendor's chair rentals are $15?

Personally, I still had trouble making it to from one stepping stone to the next

as they were unevenly spaced and some had quite a drop off.

After going over and back on this path,

I thought accessing via the resort would have been worth the $25. ===> Barbados currency at that!

There were several stops where you would have to jump from one stone to the next

and the rocks between these stones are very jagged.

I was very nervous the whole time thinking I was going to fall.

On the trip back, the tide had risen

and we had to wade through water just to get to the stepping stone walkway.

IMHO the resort access would be worth the cost.

Nice to see some realism! ;)

This is what I've been trying to get across

to those who somehow think they should avoid the resort's 'astronomical' access charge

of Bds.$25 = US$ 12.50 = about 8 G.B.Pounds per person

to not slip and fall.

AND you get it back at the bar or restaurant??

What the heck is to lose??? :eek:

Why anyone would consider negotiating tacky Boxills Road

and then those dodgy stepping stones is beyond me..

but it is a free world and if you need it, we have FMH Emergency Medical Services

to patch you up, should you slip and skin your shin! :(

It's only about 45 mins. away(back in Bridgetown) from where U slip and fall

-they'll patch you up before you get back on board.

Their two numbers, here on the island are... 228-6120 and 228-6121

Make a note of those. Might be handy.

aplmac - I totally agree. You need to eat anyway, or at least get something to drink, not to mention that there are no public restrooms at the beach.

$12.50 US is nothing. I've paid $70us for a hotel day pass in Acapulco & $50 in Cozumel. $12.50 is like paying nothing since you get it back at the restaurant anyway. And you have to understand that the Crane's primary business is as a resort & to sell the residences. They are not trying to make a killing on cruise passengers visiting the beach. The fee is just to slow down traffic going through their hotel, so it's guests and restaurant customers only. There are plans in place to build a better public entrance and remove the breaker....

http://www.coastal.gov.bb/pageselect.cfm?page=82

so maybe someday this will be a non-issue?

Really...the crusie ship will pack a lunch?? I did not know this. Did yor experience with this happen to be with Royal by chance...thats who we are cruising with.

Is it safe to rent a car and drive to Crane?? Or even cost effective?? There are 4 couples.....what would our taxi fare be???

Is it even worth the ride over or is Malibu or Lobster ALive a better choice for a day trip....we are in port 8-530.

Thanks

Really...the crusie ship will pack a lunch?? I did not know this. Did yor experience with this happen to be with Royal by chance...thats who we are cruising with.

Is it safe to rent a car and drive to Crane?? Or even cost effective?? There are 4 couples.....what would our taxi fare be???

Is it even worth the ride over or is Malibu or Lobster ALive a better choice for a day trip....we are in port 8-530.

Thanks

I've always rented a car and driven to Crane Beach. The public entrance is a side street and a little hard to find, but it's very doable. Direction-wise, just aim for the airport. After that, it can get a little confusing, as you kind of end up in a residential area - just hug the coast.

Crane Beach is my favorite place in the Caribbean.

Thanks. Where do yo rent from and can you give me and idea of cost?? Is there anything along the way worth stopping to see that I should know about if we decide to do this????

Do you eat at the restaurant? Any idea what the cost is to eat there for lunch....view looks incredible!!!!!

Hubby is a truck driver so hopefully his good direction sense will help us! LOL

Thanks. Where do yo rent from and can you give me and idea of cost?? Is there anything along the way worth stopping to see that I should know about if we decide to do this????

Do you eat at the restaurant? Any idea what the cost is to eat there for lunch....view looks incredible!!!!!

Hubby is a truck driver so hopefully his good direction sense will help us! LOL

I just rent at the place outside the cruise terminal because it's convenient. There's a little booth just outside the doors near a snack cart. I think a little roofless car generally costs about $50. The cars are passable but nothing fancy. Others may have different suggestions, but I've done this about 6 times and never had a problem.

Clearing Bridgetown can be a little tricky, as it's congested and a bit circuitous. Leave time on the way back in case you get confused or stuck in traffic.

Harrison Caves are cool to see, but they are in a different direction than Crane's. Otherwise just the drive itself is interesting IMO.

Here's restaurant info: http://www.thecrane.com/crane_resort/aboutus/lazure.asp

I usually get a burger or a salad.

No pool use. Crane doesn't have a "day-pass" offer. They have beach access pass only, which is basically just being allowed to pass through the hotel property to the beach, but the fee is redeemable for food/beverages. So you can use the restroom at the restaurant, but that's about it. There is an outdoor shower on the old stairway you could use, but no chairs and no pool unless you're a resort guest. (I've seen the staff asking non-guests to leave the pool area)

The other option is to use the public access. It's not that challenging.. just walk onto the concrete foot path to the beach. Did you know that most cruise lines will pack a lunch for you to take to the beach if you just ask for it?

I think the vendor's chair rentals are $15?

I thought that many countries/ports had rather strict regulations in place

prohibiting the import of food of any kind? We would love to take a box lunch on shore with us...has anyone done it lately?

Thanks,

Kevin

I know I asked questions here b/c I was thinking about going here, but this is my conclusion. It is 45 min in a car to get there......so you either have to rent a car or spend buku bucks on a taxi. The water is not calm, but wave crashing water......dont get me wrong it looks BREATH_TAKING!!!!!! I htink if I was going to rent a car on the island and do some sight seeing and see other beaches I owuld make it a stop and have lunch in that nice looking restaurant that looks out over ht e beach, but fo rone day .....on in port a couple hours.....traffic etc.....I do not think I will get there this trip. Accra seems popular and so does either the Boatyard or Lobster Alive. It depends on what you want in a beach. My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that there are more things to do (watersport wise) at Lobster Alive and the Boatyard than Accra and the water is calmer on those beaches than at Accra, but Accra is supposed to be a beautiful, more leisure (local) beach.....a boardwalk walking trail, shops and restaurants to choose from and rent a chair/umbrella.....oh and no harrassing vendors there. Boatyard yo pay a fee to ge onto beach ($20/pp) and you get a chair, umbrella, a free drink, a ride back to the ship, and use of non-motorized water toys there...they have an iceburg, water trampoling, water sing etc. This is also more lively.......music, beach games etc.

Lobster Alive (next store) you pay I think $15.00 and get 2 chairs and umbrella and 3 drinks. Everything else is alacarte and there are not any non-motorized water toys...you can still rent jet skiis etc though!!! So it depends on what you are looking for.

I tink each person would have a different opinion as to whay each is their fav. Figure out what you want in a beach and choose accordly to that.

I am still unsure myself....we are going with a group and we are all in our 30's so I need totalk to everyone and see what the majority wants to do here.

I am alittle nervous about cost at Lobster Alive and the Boatyard for food. Can anyone add to this?????? At Accra its my understanding there are soooo many options and affordable places to eat nearby.

Is Crane Beach "THE" place to go? ===> Maybe not...

It does seem quite popular. ===> In most people's imagination of what 'exotic' is...;)

I'm cruising for the first time in a couple of weeks

- any help about what to do in Barbados gratefully recieved !

As a first-timer, your best bet would be to do an island tour of some sort

that'll likely get you over to the scenic East Coast to see some of this stuff..

Bathsheba-57.jpg

Tent_Bay_Barbados.jpg

Bathsheba-072.jpg

Save the Crane for another stop..

..but if you want to do a beach for the day, Accra's a good all-round bet

-unless you want to do the turtle thing, in which case it's West Coast for you.

Thinking about renting a car and Sunbury is on our list...isn't Crane close by? ===> Yes it is.

Is it realistic to do Sunbury, hang out at Crane, eat lunch,

and then head over to the wildlife reserve?

How much driving time is that? ===> I'd allow for an hour between Crane and W.Reserve

Not impossible to do what you propose.

The problematic bit is getting lost between Lunch at The Crane -and Wildlife Reserve up in the North. :)

If you're a good map-reader, you'll probably be okay

as you make your way along the scenic East Coast Road stopping for pics here and there

finally making your way to Belleplaine, and up GREENLAND Hill

with Farley Hill at the top of the steep incline

and Wildlife Reserve on the other side of the road, set in about 200 yards or so.

• 3 months later...

I just emailed today and answers were: The $13 day pass allows access to beach and restaurant only. "The monies are redeemable in drinks at the restaurant. On the beach, you would be able to have a chair + unbrella. As long as you have booked a day pass, the chair and umbrella would be free of cost." She also said "You can book the day pass the same day you arrive. Before you visit, please call me the morning time so that I can advise the security. This way when you do arrive, they would already be aware when you give them your name. This fee should be paid to the cashier in the restaurant. We are located approximately 45 minutes from the cruise dock."

We plan to do this Sept. 23 because the place looks beautiful. We do plan to try to take the bus here.

• 6 months later...

I am confused...some people say it is $12.50 to get access through the resort, others say it is $25. Which one is it?

Also, to clarify, is the $35 taxi fare the total amount or per person?

I would love to visit this beach and get some good photo ops but I am trying to justify the $70+ in taxi fares!

We will be cruising next week. I was all set to head to Crane Beach. I didn't realize it's a 45 minute ride away. I too may consider Lobster Alive or Boatyard. If we hire a taxi to give us an island tour would they stop at Crane Beach? Anyone have more info on an Island Tour?

Archived