Roll Call Spirit May23-not even a tie!

SusanNJ

Received my Voyage information program and was really surprised. Not only is there no formal night, but ties are not required the entire cruise. As we will be traveling prior, I was delighted to learn that I would not have to pack the extra stuff for the formal evenings. I will not tell my husband about that tie option though.

Looking forward to a spectacular itinerary and, of course, the Seabourn service and cuisine.

Hi Susan,

Our cruise on the Seabourn Spirit ( 23 may venice-venice ) is coming closer

and that's a good thing :-)

we were last december on the Legend doing the panama canal and we've the best memories of this cruise: the staff was truely exceptional and the passengers were all very friendly and nice to talk to !

so we're looking forward to be on seabourn again !

we didn't yet recieve the programm here in Belgium, but honestly I don't mind that there won't be any formal nights ( more place in the suitcases ! )

kind regards,

ralf & johan

Belgium

Well I think it is a great shame. We get so few occasions to dress up these days. I like to see all the men well dressed in nice shirts and ties.

I must be getting old - it just seems another example of "dumbing down"!

You're not getting old,it's the standards that we like that are getting old I'm afraid.I am sure that we can still maintain them when we are aboard.

Doesnt sound like "dumbing down" to me....just plain common sense...we dont travel these days with huge steamer trunks with all but the kitchen sink packed.....we are very strictly limited as to what we can travel with. Now if we were to do a cruise from and back to Oz, we would also be happy to carry lots more "stuff" (there are a few on the horizon that suit)

Hi Marja,

nice hearing of you !

I don't know if you know :-)

but in Belgium one can buy a Belgian magazine " Cruise & style " ( it appears once a year ) and in number 2 ( which is just out ), there is also an article on Seabourn when in Antwerp last year,

and yes :-) in the same article there is a picture of you and René, sitting with some friends at the sky bar.

We thought you liked to know this !

kind regards,

en veel groetjes aan jou en René ,

ralf & johan

Hi Marja,

nice hearing of you !

I don't know if you know :-)

but in Belgium one can buy a Belgian magazine " Cruise & style " ( it appears once a year ) and in number 2 ( which is just out ), there is also an article on Seabourn when in Antwerp last year,

and yes :-) in the same article there is a picture of you and René, sitting with some friends at the sky bar.

We thought you liked to know this !

kind regards,

en veel groetjes aan jou en René ,

ralf & johan

Hi friends!

Thanks for letting me know. The editor of this magazine promised me a copy, but he has not sent it yet.

But now I received one from our agent and read the article (I was interviewed at the time, but what was quoted sounds a lot that only "free drinks" on Seabourn interest me! I was rather disappointed.) And yes I saw the photo.

Have a nice day!

Marja

Doesnt sound like "dumbing down" to me....just plain common sense...we dont travel these days with huge steamer trunks with all but the kitchen sink packed.....we are very strictly limited as to what we can travel with. Now if we were to do a cruise from and back to Oz, we would also be happy to carry lots more "stuff" (there are a few on the horizon that suit)

The trouble is once you "lower" the dress code you have some people lowering it even more and you wind up with somebody in the dining room at night in shorts which is what happened in the Caribbean last year!! That is what I mean by "dumbing down" !!

HI Granny! tried to e-mail you but have lost your new address. We returned from a long trip on the Spirit followed by a shorter one on the Paul Gauguin. Really enjoyed the Spirit!

Please contact me!

Glad to see you are still sailing off into sunsets most of the year while we are still sitting here....doing nothing!! ;) have to wait till August for our next trip.......I am "recovering" (very well) at the moment.......will send an email......

I remember being denied access to Royal Viking Sun's dining room for lunch, as I had shorts on. Embarassed me, sheepishly went back to the suite to put on slacks..

Times have changed.. :(

Host Dan

shefinch

The Maitre 'd should have ask him to either go and dress properly for the dining room or dine in his suite! I find this unacceptable.

Also during Tea Time I have seen ladies come in wearing bathing suits and strapless coverups ~~one was even barefooted. I know the only public room where the staff can enforce the dress code is the dining room. But one would think out of respect for the other guests and the white gloved serving staff they would refrain from coming into the Constellation. A Sky Bar waiter would be more than happy to bring them a plate from Tea Time.

I'm afraid Seabourn's dress code is vanishing ~~a real shame!

Martita B.

Back to the roll call....

Susan, we'll see you on the Spirit on May 23rd; we're taking her for two weeks to Rome. Beargal and her husband will be traveling with us. Does that make four couples/groups now?

We noticed many misspellings and grammatical errors in the Dalamtion Gems voyage information booklet. One in particular stood out - did you see the shore excursion on page 23 for the "Dogs" Palace in Venice (instead of the Doge's Palace)?

I, too, was very surprised with the excursion spelling. Even "excellent" was improperly spelled. What I had assumed was that it was written by the local tour company and that Seabourn did not use spell check which really isn't an excuse.

We will be arriving a few days early in Venice and will be staying at the Hilton Mulino Stuckey. We are really excited as this itinerary for this cruise was different than the usual.

We look forward to meeting you and your friends, as well as Ralf.

We'll be arriving on Thursday, just after noon; Beargal and hubby are getting there a day ahead of us, IIRC.

We received our Italian Idyll voyage information booklet a few days ago - found it to be much, much better. We have only one formal night that week - so only one formal night in the 14 days we'll be on the Spirit. One night in two weeks is just not worth taking all the formal wear. Sad - we enjoy dressing up on cruises.

See you on the Spirit!

I, too, was very surprised with the excursion spelling. Even "excellent" was improperly spelled. What I had assumed was that it was written by the local tour company and that Seabourn did not use spell check which really isn't an excuse.

We will be arriving a few days early in Venice and will be staying at the Hilton Mulino Stuckey. We are really excited as this itinerary for this cruise was different than the usual.

We look forward to meeting you and your friends, as well as Ralf.

Hi Susan,

I LOVE the Hilton. I stayed there last June before my Spirit VCE-Rome cruise. They have a rooftop pool that is great and even better is the rooftop bar that looks towards St. Marks.

I am a Diamond member with Hilton so I was upgraded to the Club level and had all my meals there. Word of warning....the water taxi from the hotel across the lagoon to the ship was 30 Euros for a 2 minute ride.

Bon voyage

I heard that the water taxi from the airport was 100 Euros. As I am also a Hilton member ,I am getting the room for free and at least the dollar has recovered. I guess you have to look the other way.

I actually took the bus from VCE to Piazza Roma. IT was 3 Euros. Then I took the vaporetto for 6.50 euros. It drops you off on the island that the hotel is on but you do have to walk to the hotel and over a bridge.

Alternativly you can take the vaporetto from VCE to Saint Marks and then connect to the free Hilton water taxi to the hotel. The vaporetto to the city from the airport is 12 euros and takes about an hour.

You can also take a water taxi from Piazza Roma to the hotel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Susan, We join the Spirit on the 30th May and our Itinerary states there will be one

formal night. Having sailed with Seabourn many times, last one was Christmas we have found on the Elegant Casual nights quite a few do wear ties. We also sail on the 30th March again on the Spirit and we have been told there will be four formal nights that is

on a 16 day cruise.

I wonder why your itinerary is different to mine?

Archived