Calorie count

css

I'm wondering what you think the "average" daily calorie intake would be for a typical cruiser. Figuring 3 square meals, a couple of drinks, and snacks.

I started checking out the menus posted online and making my choices from each category.

I'm wondering what you think the "average" daily calorie intake would be for a typical cruiser. Figuring 3 square meals, a couple of drinks, and snacks.

I started checking out the menus posted online and making my choices from each category.

I would guess it's between 4000-5000 at leastfor most people who really like to eat. I'm in good shape, but mainly because I work out a lot, but I'll probably eat close to 5000 a day. Of course for peolpe who want to watch their weight they could probably get away with 2000-3000. And to be sure there are many that eat well over 7000. My guess is take what you eat when your not on a cruise and double it at least.

Just think about how much food goes to waste on a cruise. I would guess over 5000 calories of food per person per day. All the stuff people take and throw out. Don't forget all of the sodas that people take and don't drink with soda cards because they are free. Plus all the food that doesn't get eaten and just thrown out. There is a lot of waste on a cruise ship.

I would guess it's between 4000-5000 at leastfor most people who really like to eat. I'm in good shape, but mainly because I work out a lot, but I'll probably eat close to 5000 a day. Of course for peolpe who want to watch their weight they could probably get away with 2000-3000. And to be sure there are many that eat well over 7000. My guess is take what you eat when your not on a cruise and double it at least.

Since cruise vacation to some are nothing short of a gorge feast i would put it more like 5000 to 6000 a day. There are a lot of overweight people that take cruise vacations.After all where else can u make a pig of yourself and nobody cares , plus it cost u nothing to eat more!

This thread is kinda grossing me out, visualizing people stuffing their faces with food they certainly don't need. Don't get me wrong. I plan to indulge a little too, but 7000 calories?? Who eats that much? I guess I'm just a bit naive.

This thread is kinda grossing me out, visualizing people stuffing their faces with food they certainly don't need. Don't get me wrong. I plan to indulge a little too, but 7000 calories?? Who eats that much? I guess I'm just a bit naive.

I can buy 7000 a day. If you had 5 foo foo drinks in one day....that alone I would think would have to be at least 3000 calories. They say a Pina colada has more calories than a Big Mac. Now count your greasy fattening buffets and dinner with one or two chocolate cakes..............:rolleyes:

Michael Phelps eats 12000 a day so 7000 isn't out of the question at all. I'd say on any given cruise 100's of people have 6000 or more in one sitting.

I've heard stories of 500 lb. women grabbing 3 plates at the buffet which included two burgers, two hot dogs, and one plate devoted to just cheese fries and oinion rings.

Michael Phelps eats 12000 a day so 7000 isn't out of the question at all. I'd say on any given cruise 100's of people have 6000 or more in one sitting.

I've heard stories of 500 lb. women grabbing 3 plates at the buffet which included two burgers, two hot dogs, and one plate devoted to just cheese fries and oinion rings.

Yeah, but Michael Phelps burns 12000 calories a day. He can eat as much as he wants. I know it's within the realm of possibility to actually consume that much, but do people let themselves? No wonder people gain 15 pounds on a cruise. That's crazy. Oh, and ew about the 500 lb woman and her plates.:eek: I guess she was just trying to get her money's worth.

I can buy 7000 a day. If you had 5 foo foo drinks in one day....that alone I would think would have to be at least 3000 calories. They say a Pina colada has more calories than a Big Mac. Now count your greasy fattening buffets and dinner with one or two chocolate cakes..............:rolleyes:

Yeah, I forget about those kinds of drinks. I don't drink them. I stick with Miller Lite--96 calories a bottle. Gets me just as drunk as the other ones. Although, for the sake of novelty, I plan to drink at least 1 DOD, possibly out of a souvenir cup, and 1 drink out of a coconut on the beach. :D

Its probably not the hard to do on a cruise. Typically I eat about 1000 calories a day, thats dieting, that doesnt include going out to dinner or to a party. Before I started dieting, I would say, I ate about 2000 calories a day, not that I ate much more, I just ate foods higher in fat and calories. On a cruise, there are more choices of food and items I dont treat myself to normally therefore I dont watch what I eat when cruising. I diet all year so that when I go to a party or out to dinner or on a cruise or any vacation I can indulge on food higher in calories, richer in flavor and yes, I will eat more often on a cruise.

When you add 3 meals a day up plus mixed drinks, I can see how someone can consume 4000-5000 calories.

So if you are already planning and picking out your menu, more power to you, they do have healthy options on the menus. While sometimes I do when we go out to eat, I wont even be looking in that column when vacationing! I may however, hit the gym to get a jump start at losing the weight I always gain on a cruise. Once I am home and start back to healthy eating, the weight does come off quickly.

Sorry, I didn't want to gross anyone out. I was just checking out the menus and thinking to myself that the calories could sure add up fast.

Miller Lite is sounding like a good adult beverage of choice instead of my usual occasional "umbrella drink".

4000+ I would say.

Sorry if it grosses some people out, but it's a fact and probably less than 10% of people onboard eat the recommended amount of calories each day while on the cruise. Unless you only drink water or diet soda and eat salads or only lean meat, you are eating more calories just by the virtue of how food is prepared. I'd be surprised if anyone eats less than 3,000/day. I have never gained more than 4 pounds and that usually includes at least 5 days additional vacation time on top of the 7 day cruise. The meals served, while not large, usually have more than the recommended 4 oz of protein. There's a lot of rice, potatoes, pasta, and not a lot of green veggies served. Also, if you love the strawberry soup and think you're eating healthy, forget it. It's probably got 300-400 calories by itself. It all adds up. I'll bet there are kids and a few adults that eat 2500 calories in "free" ice cream every day. Not to mention, eating a full breakfast every morning is something few people do except on vacation. How many of you love eggs benedict? Now, that's quite a few calories and mostly from fat.

I'm guessing I probably eat 3000/day on a cruise. While at home I tend to eat less than 1600.

Now, it would truly be gross if everyone at that many calories every day.

My husband read somewhere that the avg. is about 6000 a day. So that means some are eating or drinking way more then six and some under. I guess it would be hard not to, its a floating refrigerator!

Some people think "its free" and some are saying "its not free, I paid for it I'm going to eat it"!

I have been working way to hard and plan on working out at bit on the cruise. Plus the excursions we are taking will burn some Cal. I just have this nighmare that I will have to wear my husbands clothes off the ship because I out grew mine .:eek:

I was so proud of myself this year on our cruise i didn't gain a single pound. whoohoo

I ate whatever i wanted...whenever i wanted...but I didn't overdo it.

Had chocolate melting cake twice, pizza once...a couple samples at t he mexican buffett plus regular meals. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet, but tried to eat with common sense (started with a bowl of fruit, instead of pancakes each day). Did the lido deck for lunch too...tried to do salad (which i love) and some healthy choices.

Made myself take the stairs 90 percent of the time...and enjoyed lots of walks around the decks.\

Now if i didn't have to fit in a fancy dress next month...might not have worried quite as much..would probably have ate a bit more ice cream...and a couple more pancakes...but I had a great time and didnt feel deprived at all.

I track my calories at home and I usually eat between 1500 - 2200 per day. I kept a "loose count" of calories on my Legend cruise over New Years... and it was bad. I just looked up equivalent foods of what I ate, and yeah... it was a lot.

I had between 4200 and 6500 calories per day on the Legend. And I didn't think I was eating that much. Fact is, you just do eat more on a cruise because the food is so accessible. That, combined with the drinking does not help at all.

Gross yes but YUM! I was very surprised that on a 5 day cruise where I really didn't worry about what I was eating I didn't put on any weight. And I usually put on weight just thinking about food. I think that some of the gross amounts that some people around me were eating (and there were some!) led me to eat less than I might have. I know I sure planned to eat myself silly. I'll try harder in March on the Conquest.

Yea...it seems like it is like eating out. They don't put the caloric information right there on the menu at Outback on purpose. Plus the portions are HUGE.

But, hey...that doesn't mean I am not going to indulge. My cruise is a short one and the diet will come afterwards...:)

I actually lose weight sometimes when I cruise because I tend to eat healthier and snack less, no chips to snack on. When I go for breakfast fresh fruit is readily available and I sometimes just get a plate of that. I am always incredulous when I sit on the Lido and see folks go past with HUGE plates of bacon and sausage. Just because it' a buffet and all inclusive doesn't mean one has to get so much. I am also amazed how much people will pile on their plates. It's like they don't realize they can make as many trips as they please and sometimes you can see food actually falling off because there's so much piled on.

Archived