MV Athena

des smith

Hi all,

We are doing a 3 nighter on the above ship out of fremantle Labour day L/wkend. I havnt really found anything positive about this ship so now am worried:confused:.

Can anybody that has done a short trip on this ship please give me some advise tips and info.

P.S travelling with 11yr old girl.will there be activities for her to do?

DW and I were on Athena with another 200, mainly West Aussies,in 2006 on a 9 night cruise, Fremantle to Mauritius.We joined over 300 French passengers who were doing a Marseille to Marseille world cruise.

We had a great time, food good,entertainment good, drinks expensive ( because we were paying in Euros),cabins comfortable and staff attentive and friendly.

Didn't hear of any complaints, other than a few French passengers, who thought we were enjoying ourselves too much.

To be fair we do like to cruise on smaller cruise ships, just our preference!

A workmate recently went on the three day New Years Holiday weekend cruise and had a great time.

Your daughter will have things to do, but will enjoy it better if there are more young people her age on board.

Don't worry I'm sure you will both enjoy the experience.:)

Thankyou rosc and everybody...starting to get excited now..:D

I will definately post a review when i return. :)

If somebody has done the short cruise on this ship and would like to share experience would really appreciate that to.

Now i really am worried that nobody has any answers for me:eek:

Guess i just have to go on board with an open mind and see what happens hey!

Hello there,

My mum did a 10 night cruise to Bali on The Athena from Fremantle on 9th January.

Mum enjoyed the cruise but as she went on her first cruise last year on the Pacific Dawn she compared it to that and said it was not as good but still enjoyable.

There are no kids clubs on the Athena but she said some staff did play some games with the kids.

As it is only a very short cruise you are going on I am sure it will all be fine for you.

Please email me at newyorktrish@bigpond dot com dot au if you have any further questions as I don't come on this site much anymore.

Regards,

Trish

Hi ya,

the Athena was cruising in our local waters this past week.

We thought of having a cruise on her, but unfortunately we had other committments-exchange student..so that kept us away, but there was a lot of media about her doing the Kangaroo Island cruise around Gulf St Vincent.

She sure looked a lovely sight on the news.

The only problem was at Kingscote the tenders hit sand bars and most of the passengers were stranded until private boats came out to resuce them...hmm! .....quiet exciting really, but most embarrasing. LOL!

http://www.independentweekly.com.au/news/local/news/general/passengers-stranded-as-cruise-ship-tenders-run-aground/1423697.aspx

Bubbs & Blues who has chosen to have their first cruise on the Dawn Princess travelling Australia in November.

cheers ;)

Hi there

MV Athena is still with us today but she is destined for the scrapheap in 2010 as it is feared she will not pass the new SOLAS regs that come into effect at that time. Take the cruise and enjoy what life in her the old girl (60 yrs, ex Stockholm, Italia Prima) has left as in another year she'll be gone.

Ciao for now!!!

• 3 months later...

Archived