Transport from Anchorage to Fairbanks

cruiserdru

We are currently booked on an RCCL cruisetour leaving from Fairbanks on 8/31 and going southbound on 9/4. We are considering adding a northbound Princess cruise that would arrive in Whittier/Anchorage on 8/29 or 8/31. I am assuming that I could get a Princess transfer at least to the Anchorage airport. What is the best way to then get to Fairbanks? Are there trains that make the run? I know you can do Alaska airlines from Anchorage to Fairbanks. If this is too difficult, we may just can the add-on but the Princess is very tempting.

Thanks for any help.

Why not book this in the other direction??? With a northbound cruise, your cruisetour, then a southbound cruise??? Far better air options available.

Otherwise there is the Alaska RR which takes 12 hours, leaving once per day at 8am or flying between Anchorage/Fairbanks, a bus would be about 8 hours. finally you can rent a one way car.

Yes, Princess has bus transfers to the airport.

I'm confused - you're in Fairbanks on your cruisetour, so why do you want to go back (rather than just arriving for your cruisetour a day or so early if there's more you want to see)? Anyway, you can do it by rail, air or independent bus.

The RCCL cruisetour with a southbound cruise (tour then cruise) is a done deal with a group of friends. It starts in Fairbanks and ends in Vancouver, requiring an open jaw flight.

I was thinking of taking a Princess northbound cruise from Vancouver to Whittier prior to the RCCL cruisetour, thus flying into Vancouver and taking Princess to Whittier, finding a way to Fairbanks for the tour portion of the RCCL cruisetour and getting on RCCL in Seward to cruise back to Vancouver. That is only worthwhile if there is a good way to get from the end of the Princess cruise in Whittier to the beginning of the RCCL cruisetour in Fairbanks.

Just took a look at the Alaska Air flights from Anchorage to Fairbanks and they seem like a good option, especially given the time you have mentioned for rail. Guess I am used to using Amtrak on the East coast and thought there might be something similarly convenient in Alaska.

Thanks for the help.

There are also the Parks Connection buses, but they may leave too early so you would have to spend the night in Anchorage. I would check the AK Airlines website frequently for specials to Fairbanks. They often come up as weekly web specials or on sales for around $100 one way.

There are also the Parks Connection buses, but they may leave too early so you would have to spend the night in Anchorage. I would check the AK Airlines website frequently for specials to Fairbanks. They often come up as weekly web specials or on sales for around $100 one way.

Hello, are these web specials for last minute sale? Do you know when the weekly web specials usually come out? Thanks!

If you are on the RCCL cruisetour with friends southbound, I'd do the quick flight from ANC. That way everything will be fresh and exciting for you as you travel south on Royal Caribbean's train. If you did the Park Connection or the Alaska Railroad, you'd be doubling back over the same area with your cruisetour.

Archived