Hey!! What happened??

Danno

Did I miss something?? The email addresses are gone from our profiles...what happened??

Dan

Century X1,Galaxy X2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith Oct/05 (hoping!!)

Century Feb/05

Danno, they have been gone for a couple of weeks, I believe someone was harvesting e-mail addresses from CC!

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

Harvesting...so what, if we make them available we understand that this could happen. I for one, am an adult and understand that my decision might have an adverse effect. That being the case I would remove my email address from my profile.

Shame, I have met some nice folks here, then on the ship and we still communicate today...I can't see that happening anymore.

I think we have become a bit less of a community by this move.

Dan

Zenith Oct/05 (hoping!!)

Century Feb/05

I have to agree - so what?

I opened a Cruise Critic and other open forum email account - I keep my regular one private. If I start corresponding with someone I want "into" my email life, I give them the regular email address.

I am not sure they removed the email addresses for our good - maybe they removed them because TA's were using email's to solicit business and CC didn't like it.

Danno,

Thank goodness for spam filters! I wouldn't have it any other way! I can't believe that those people have nothing better to do with themselves.

Anita

And now Infinity 2005!

Millennium 2003

Century 2002

Summit 2001

Century 2000

Zenith 1996

Horizon 1994

Horizon 1993

Sunward 1992

Star Princess 1990

Maxim Gorky 1974 & 1975

Maybe I should post a poll and see what others think here and let our hosts know...I may very well be wrong and this may be what the majority here want in that case, so be it.

Dan

Zenith Oct/05 (hoping!!)

Century Feb/05

I noticed it when I wanted to send someone an e-mail. Their post indicated that I could remove NO_SPAM to e-mail them, but lo and behold there was no e-mail address. Then I looked for mine and it was gone, too.

I e-mailed Laura Sterling and got a nice reply that it was removed because of security concerns but I was free to add it to my signature. Now just how is that more secure? Even if I did it xxx_no_spam@wherever.net to cut out automatic harvesting, it could still be taken easier than going to my profile and reading it manually. Someone else posted that the new version of infopop did not support it. Who knows?

One possibility is to use one of the other public profile fields such as OCCUPATION or INTERESTS.

A really computer savvy poster (I think it was C 2 C) came up with a way to put a link in your signature or message. That way, a single click from your post will call up an empty e-mail with the address filled in. The code is:

Xa href="mailto:xxx@wherever.net">display text</a hrefZ.

To make this work, replace the leading "X" with "<" [no quotes) and the trailing "Z" with ">" . Whatever you put in place of "display text" (again no quotes) will show up underlined and will insert the e-mail address into the TO field.

Hope this helps more than it confuses.

Bob

Bob, my DH helped me to set it up so I could receive emails. See how it looks below.

Garry

click <a href="mailto:gkm278@comcast.net">here</a href> to send me an email

• Administrators

quote:
Originally posted by Danno:

Harvesting...so what, if we make them available we understand that this could happen. I for one, am an adult and understand that my decision might have an adverse effect. That being the case I would remove my email address from my profile.

Shame, I have met some nice folks here, then on the ship and we still communicate today...I can't see that happening anymore.

I think we have become a bit less of a community by this move.

Dan

Please feel free to add your e-mail address to your SIGNATURE in your profile, so it appears on your posts.

Laura Sterling

Community Manager

Up4travel@aol.com

Cruise Critic

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent -Eleanor Roosevelt-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smudge's mom:

maybe they removed them because TA's were using email's to solicit business and CC didn't like it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO! Must be in the front row. Proceed to the head of the class. icon_biggrin.gif

What I and at least a few others have done is to "hijack" the IM field. Select "Other" as your IM type, then put your e-mail address in the name field.

Using the "mailto:" html link like gkm did works really well too! I hadn't thought of that one! icon_smile.gif

Theron

P.S. I cannot assume to know motive, but the evidence I've seen supports my strong suspicion that smudge's mom has come up with the closest to the actual reason for this yet.

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

I don't want to be a whiner, but how are any of these alternatives any more secure than having the address in a dedicated field in the profile?

Each one of them would allow a person who wanted to "capture" the address to get it with a series of clicks.

But, if losing the dedicated e-mail address field is the worst thing we can think of that is bothering us, then Laura and CC are doing a heck of a job. It's sure better than it has been for the last few weeks.

I, for one, would be devastated if this site weren't here. I spend WAAAAAYYYY too much time here. (I don't really think so, but that's what others tell me)

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bob278:

But, if losing the dedicated e-mail address field is the worst thing we can think of that is bothering us, then Laura and CC are doing a heck of a job.

Bob<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree whole heartedly...I was just curious as to why it changed. The fact that I prefered it as it was, was not a jab at our hosts.

Dan

Zenith Oct/05 (hoping!!)

Century Feb/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smudge's mom:

maybe they removed them because TA's were using email's to solicit business and CC didn't like it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That may be another reason, but not the one that I was aware of!

Don’t ask, I can’t say!

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

Danno,

I didn't take your post as a jab at the hosts. I guess I was sort of kissing up because I've been griping about this in a couple of places.

I can certainly live with the e-mail the way it is, but I also liked having it in my profile labeled as my e-mail address.

Bob

Has anyone noticed that not only is the email gone, but now you have to sign in to look at any of the boards. I used to read posts and then sign in to respond, but now I can't even do that.

Big Brother is watching.

cool1.gif

Yeah, that's a good idea, I am switching over to that as well!

Theron

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Think this was a grave mistake for several reasons.

We never have gotten an unsolicited email (spam) that could be attributed to this board.

Because the email address is embedded in the profile, harversters have a much more difficult time of accessing it.

There also was not requirement to post an email address in your profile.

Suggesting adding it to your signiture or a mailto url makes it more likely that your email address will be harvested.

Very, very bad decision.

George & MaryBeth

I agree in general with raudacruise that having the e-mail somewhere in the profile is more secure than just listing it in the signature with the link falling somewhere in between. It sure is convenient, though.

For those who are security conscious, you can still put NO_SPAM in your address, even in the link. People will just have to edit it in the TO window. If someone wants your e-mail and is willing to look, the only way to stop it is to refrain from publishing it. This way helps cut the automatic harvesting.

Bob

Archived