Has anyone cruised on the Costa Fortuna...

Alde

My husband and I are going on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Costa Fortuna ship leaving Fort Lauderdale on Feb 22/09. This is our very first cruise ever.

Has anyone cruised on this ship before....

We would like to hear what you have to say about this ship.... good or bad...

Do you have any tips for us....

How many pieces of luggage are you allowed to bring....Do you have to check your bags as soon as you board.... Do you have to pay to check your bags.... Can you bring all your bags yourself toyour stateroom...

Thanks in advance.

Alde

First of all, you should post this on the Costa board and you'll get many more responses.

But as a general rule, there's no limit to a reasonable amount of luggage, but remember you need to have to store your bags in your cabin, so don't bring too many. Most get by with one large bag and one carry on for a 7 day cruise.

No, you cannot carry on your bags as every bag has to be xrayed for security purposes. So unless all your bags are the size of a carry on, in other words small enough to fit in one of those small scanners at the airport security check, you have to give them to the dock workers who take them on the ship where the large scanners are located. You tip the porters $1 to $2 per bag.

Also, you don't check your bags when you board, but when you arrive outside the cruise terminal. Make sure your luggage tags are on all your bags. You hand them over to the dock workers and then you head inside the terminal for check in.

The number/weight of your luggage is only limited by any airlines---if you're driving to port, the sky's the limit!

Do tip the porters. Cross-pack, if you're flying---(both of your stuff in every bag!) just in case something gets "re-routed"--at least, you'll both have something!

Anything of value, Rx's, cameras, cash, jewelry, etc....keep in a carry-on and keep it with you until you can access your cabin safe (or safe deposit box on the ship), if your cabin doesn't have a safe.

My husband and I are going on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Costa Fortuna ship leaving Fort Lauderdale on Feb 22/09. This is our very first cruise ever.

Has anyone cruised on this ship before....

We would like to hear what you have to say about this ship.... good or bad...

Do you have any tips for us....

How many pieces of luggage are you allowed to bring....Do you have to check your bags as soon as you board.... Do you have to pay to check your bags.... Can you bring all your bags yourself toyour stateroom...

Thanks in advance.

Alde

First of all, welcome to cruise critic!

I've not sailed on Costa but friends of mine have and love it and only sail on Costa. In fact they are on a Costa cruise this week.

Here is the link to your roll call. Go over and introduce yourself. The other roll call memebers can also give you the ins and outs of the ship and line.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=695524

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Hello,

I have not sailed on the Fortuna, but have been on two Costa Cruises. I've been on the Magica and the Meddetranea(sp?). We are avid Carnival cruisers, but took our first Costa cruise because of a mailer with a rediculously cheap price. The following year we decided to go on Costa agaian, because we had such a good time!! Costa is fun and you do have to keep an open mind, as they are a very European Cruise line. A lot of Americans, are not fond of Costa because of this. You will hear all the announcements in 4 languages, and it is often very hard to understand the crew, as most of them are fluent in Italian along with their homeland language. Since this is your first cruise you won't notice this as much as you would if you had cruise with the likes of Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean etc. The activities are not nearly as many as Carnival, but the shows are usually very good, and the last night is Toga night, and what a ball it is. Wear your Toga to dinner that night, go to the show and have a blast!! I'm sure you will love your cruise, and don't let any negative reviews about Costa scare you, it is a fun time!! Eat some Granna Padana cheese on the buffet for me...and some of their wonderful breads...I'm getting hungry thinking about it:D

Happy Sailing!

I cruised on Costa Magica two years ago. It was Western Caribbean. The only thing I didn't like was that I (as an American) felt like a minority. The majority of the other passengers were European and a bit snobby towards the Americans on board. We didn't meet many people on board because most of them didn't speak English. I'm not one of those people who take offense to things easily or get defensive.... this is the reality of it.

Archived