A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

we will be in St. Petersburg, and just wondering if we could arrange for box lunches, in order to save time so we can see as much as possible.

This is something I'm not familiar with, and I know here in US ports customs has huge issues with any food products coming off the ship.

Ship Services may be able to obtain more information for you on this

I also don't know if food is allowed off the ship in St Pete (because we only did HAL excursions there) but if you're using one of the private tour companies (DenRus, Red October, etc) I'm sure they will be able to arrange a nice restaurant where you can experience some Russian cuisine. Our HAL tour went to a nice place in Pushkin where we were entertained by a band and dancers throughout lunch. I include that very enjoyable meal as part of my "as much as possible", not precluding something.

I also don't know if food is allowed off the ship in St Pete (because we only did HAL excursions there) but if you're using one of the private tour companies (DenRus, Red October, etc) I'm sure they will be able to arrange a nice restaurant where you can experience some Russian cuisine. Our HAL tour went to a nice place in Pushkin where we were entertained by a band and dancers throughout lunch. I include that very enjoyable meal as part of my "as much as possible", not precluding something.

That's a great suggestion. Most tours lasting more than a couple hours will include a meal, and the descriptions of the type of restaurant and some food selections are usually in the description.

It would alleviate any concerns you have about making sure there's a meal during the tour.

Now on the other hand, if you are diabetic, this could be something that would work in conjunction WITH something off the ship, and you may even have to even contact a Russian consulate for that sort of info.

Appreciate the kind words yvr!

Looks like you're on the Statendam 5/5 5 day?

Yes, that's the one I am on. So far I have been on Disney, Carnival and NCL mostly for my 7 year old son to enjoy. I think HAL will definetly be more my style. I like peaceful and just have time to enjoy each day in different ports. I especially look forward to being on a relatively smaller ship.

I have been researching HAL's schedules for the rest of the year and 2010 and definetly will try more of the smaller ships.

The next one I am thinking of is to go on the Veendam soemtime this year since it's being refurbished and try the "Lanai" cabin.

I really think it's a great idea and can't wait to see it.

Hi DBA!

I had asked this question a few months back and you suggested I ask again when it is closer to our sail date. Is there any way I can find out who the entertainment will be on the 5/17 Westerdam sailing? Also, do you know who the Captain, Hotel Manager and CD will be on that sailing?

Thanks Much!

Diane

You are clearly knowlegable about all things HAL - I have a question about our med. cruise out of Barcelona this July - we would like to go to Spain early and explore but cant figure out how to do the luggage - we would like to send several bags to barcelona for the cruise but we will probably be flying into madrid early for exploration - when i spoke to HAL they were singularly unresponsive but i am sure many people experience this situation, The cruise is 24 days long so definitely need other clothes for it after knocking about spain for 2 weeks before the cruise. Any ideas

Hi Ghennessy, can I make a suggestion? At one point my husband and needed to go on a small side trip at the end of a longer trip and we didn't want to lug all of our luggage along. We stayed at the same hotel at the beginning and end of the smaller trip and made arrangements for the hotel to store our luggage for the intervening week. You might see if there is a hotel in Spain that would do the same for you.

I hope that you have a wonderful time! If you have any chance, I highly recommend going to the Alhambra and visiting Granada in general. It is beyond beautiful. :)

Corie

Hi DBA!

I had asked this question a few months back and you suggested I ask again when it is closer to our sail date. Is there any way I can find out who the entertainment will be on the 5/17 Westerdam sailing? Also, do you know who the Captain, Hotel Manager and CD will be on that sailing?

Thanks Much!

Diane

Entertainment I don't have info on. Might want to ask in the main HAL section for folks that have recently cruised on her.

As for the other staff:

Captain - Jonathan Harris

Hotel Manager - Ron Bontenbal

Cruise Director - Kerry Watkins

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Ghennessy, can I make a suggestion? At one point my husband and needed to go on a small side trip at the end of a longer trip and we didn't want to lug all of our luggage along. We stayed at the same hotel at the beginning and end of the smaller trip and made arrangements for the hotel to store our luggage for the intervening week. You might see if there is a hotel in Spain that would do the same for you.

I hope that you have a wonderful time! If you have any chance, I highly recommend going to the Alhambra and visiting Granada in general. It is beyond beautiful. :)

Corie

Great suggestion Corie!

Thanks so much DBA for the info. Will just be surprised when we arrive as to who the entertainers will be!

Diane

As for the shows on Westerdam, I believe it is currently:

Grand Tour

and one other, although I forget the name it involved costumes by (Bob?) Mackie and had sort of a Hollywood feel to it on stage. LOTS of costume changes and a huge variety of music

Latest posts on the blog:

• Portions of the entries from the contest runner-ups.
  • Contest answers
  • Conclusion of Cabanas 101 - This time showing various elements that are not cabanas
  • More in-depth look at the Veendam aft pool removal
  • What happens when it's sunny outside and my dog wants to roll around like a nerd
  • And a continuation of my Eurodam tour, special thanks to a dedicated DBA reader for all of the great pictures!

As for the shows on Westerdam, I believe it is currently:

Grand Tour

and one other, although I forget the name it involved costumes by (Bob?) Mackie and had sort of a Hollywood feel to it on stage. LOTS of costume changes and a huge variety of music

"The hits of Broadway, the designs of Mackie”?

Goede dag, Dutch! Hello, Dutch! I'm curious about the new Pier 91 check-in process for those passengers departing Seattle, who are also parking a vehicle at the terminal parking garage. According to Republic Parking, the folks in charge of the garage, they want extra passengers and their luggage dropped off at the terminal first, then the driver to go park the vehicle at the parking garage, and then return to the terminal via their shuttle. Here's the info at their website:

http://www.rpnw.com/seattle/cruise/pier91cruiseinfo.asp

What do the extra passengers do when they're dropped off? Wait for the designated driver? Does the driver need to keep his/her own documents for check-in? Is this going to make a mess of the check-in process? Am I making any sense?

Dank u wel!! Thank you very much!

Goede dag, Dutch! Hello, Dutch! I'm curious about the new Pier 91 check-in process for those passengers departing Seattle, who are also parking a vehicle at the terminal parking garage. According to Republic Parking, the folks in charge of the garage, they want extra passengers and their luggage dropped off at the terminal first, then the driver to go park the vehicle at the parking garage, and then return to the terminal via their shuttle. Here's the info at their website:

http://www.rpnw.com/seattle/cruise/pier91cruiseinfo.asp

What do the extra passengers do when they're dropped off? Wait for the designated driver? Does the driver need to keep his/her own documents for check-in? Is this going to make a mess of the check-in process? Am I making any sense?

Dank u wel!! Thank you very much!

I don't see it being a big hindrance.

This is the best I could find on that website that provides an answer for you:

Q.How early can I arrive to park for my Cruise?

A. Cruise parking and complimentary shuttle service is available after 11am on the day of your departure. Please remember to drop all luggage and extra passengers at the terminal prior to parking.

Q. What type of payment do you accept?

A. We accept Visa, MC, and Amex as well as cash/money orders. You can prepay online for the best rate and guaranteed parking. Click here to reserve your spot today.

Q. How far is the parking location from the terminal?

A. The Pier 91 parking location is a short distance from the terminal. Customers must take a shuttle to the cruise terminal. Shuttle space is limited so please drop all luggage and extra passengers at the terminal prior to parking.

Q. What is your cancellation policy?

A. Prepaid parking reservations must be canceled 72 hours prior to your departure.

Q. Do you have handicap accessible parking?

A. Yes, multiple handicap stalls are available.

Q. What are your hours of operation?

A. Pier 91 parking is open 7am - 5pm all cruise days.

Q. What is your address? Can you provide directions to your parking facility?

A. The Pier 91 parking facility is located at 2420 21st Ave W, Seattle, WA 98119. Please click here for directions.

Q. Do you have baggage tags? Can I leave my luggage with you?

A. No, all luggage must be dropped off at the terminal before parking. The cruise lines will have extra tags at the terminal building.

Q. What time does your shuttle stop running?

A. Shuttles to and from the ships run from 7am - 4pm.

Dutch,

So very glad you're here and available to us.

Just want to direct you to my recent posting on Jim's HAL wish list thread referencing some very easy I.T. upgrades that I have heard requested even before this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=18979681&posted=1#post18979681

This link seems to point to the next post I did, so please scroll.

Again, Thanks,

r.

Hi DBA!

Thanks Much!

Diane

We just returned home from the Westerdam on Sunday 4/5. For entertainment we had:

Joel Mason - Tribute to Elton John (Fantastic)

Max Elliott - Comedian (Very Funny)

Leo Ward - Illusionist (Amazing)

I'm not sure if these gentlemen will still be on the ship in May, but the shows were top notch!

Kerry Watkins was also our cruise director. He is absolutely the best cruise director we've ever had on our 4 HAL cruises. Enjoy your cruise! You will love the Westerdam!

Can you tell me for sure what is the latest time to be on board when leaving from Rome/Civitavecchia. I have two different people from HAL tell me two different times. I have been told both 3:30PM and 4:00PM for a 5:00PM departure sailing.

Brewster

Archived