Pacific Dawn Versus Pacic Sun

kiwichill

The two ships are very different!

The Pacific Dawn is much newer, larger, and perhaps 'grander' than the Pacific Sun. The Pacific Sun has been described in many ways (someone once said she had the atmospher of a 'beer garden' - more relaxed and laid back than the Pacific Dawn... we've sailed on her and love her (but I've never sailed on the Dawn!) .. You may get some very differing and interesting comparisions kiwichill! There are some on the boards that have strong feelings about both of the ships!

It really depends what you are after! Have a look at the virtual tours, etc on the P&O site, it will give you some idea of the interior views.

I'm sure someone who's sailed on both with offer an opinion for you!:)

Hi Kiwichill,

In my opinion The Pacific Dawn is the more luxourious ship.

I know that a lot of cc'ers love the Pacific Sun, but both ships carry approx the same amount of passengers (only about 100 different), and the Dawn is 70,000 tons and the Sun is 47,000 tons and that is a lot of extra space for passangers to relax and have fun. There are more bars on the Dawn and a lot of nooks and crannies to sit and have a quiet drink, there is a outside deck on the Promanade Deck which is fantastic to watch the ocean go by, much bigger area around the Lido pool (and lots more lounges). There is a fridge in every cabin, lots of balcony cabins (no balcony cabins on the Sun). The food is pretty much the same (supurb), as is the entertainment. Drink prices are the same, and the Staff on both ships are fantastic. The atmosphere is great on both ships.

I have to admit I havn't been on the Sun since her refurb, and I believe it has been improved greatly, but just the sheer size of the Dawn makes her a winner in my mind.:D

Hey Kiwichill

Have travelled on both the Pac Sun (Before the refurb) and the Pac Dawn. Each ship has its own unique qualities but i would have to say that the Pac Dawn is a step up in terms of the space (never felt crowded with a full load of passengers), the treatments rooms in the Lotus Spa are bigger, The showlounge looks bigger and the Dome is a plus anytime of the day. Also the feature of the Plaza atrium works as its own destination and works in well (except found the baked alaska parade better in the Pac Sun dining rooms than the Plaza on the Pac Dawn).

Either way it is a personal choice and would be happy to travel on either ship anyday.

Enjoy your next cruise :)

Hey Kiwichill

Have travelled on both the Pac Sun (Before the refurb) and the Pac Dawn. Each ship has its own unique qualities but i would have to say that the Pac Dawn is a step up in terms of the space (never felt crowded with a full load of passengers), the treatments rooms in the Lotus Spa are bigger, The showlounge looks bigger and the Dome is a plus anytime of the day. Also the feature of the Plaza atrium works as its own destination and works in well (except found the baked alaska parade better in the Pac Sun dining rooms than the Plaza on the Pac Dawn).

Either way it is a personal choice and would be happy to travel on either ship anyday.

Enjoy your next cruise :)

Just like Vicguy we have also sailed on both (before Pac Sun's makeover)..both are great in different ways.

The Sun had a certain atmosphere that we didn't get on the Dawn ( keeping in mind it was our first ever cruise & our excitement was over the top)...the description of her being like a beer garden is probably spot on.

The Dawn is more elegant & there was much more room especially around the pool area.

Whichever you choose to cruise on I think both are winners:D

Which is the more luxourious ship and why, Thanks

I think Pacific Dawn is more luxurious ,if that what you are looking for.

You can check out a tour of it on Barts Ship Parade. Click on "Ships Alphabet" and both Pacific Dawn and Pacific Sun are there.

http://www.shipparade.com/

Dont forget we also have the choice of the 2 Princess ships if its luxury you are after and if you follow the specials they are sometimes cheaper, or better value than the older P&O ships.

Hi Kiwichill,

In my opinion The Pacific Dawn is the more luxourious ship.

I know that a lot of cc'ers love the Pacific Sun, but both ships carry approx the same amount of passengers (only about 100 different), and the Dawn is 70,000 tons and the Sun is 47,000 tons and that is a lot of extra space for passangers to relax and have fun. There are more bars on the Dawn and a lot of nooks and crannies to sit and have a quiet drink, there is a outside deck on the Promanade Deck which is fantastic to watch the ocean go by, much bigger area around the Lido pool (and lots more lounges). There is a fridge in every cabin, lots of balcony cabins (no balcony cabins on the Sun). The food is pretty much the same (supurb), as is the entertainment. Drink prices are the same, and the Staff on both ships are fantastic. The atmosphere is great on both ships.

I have to admit I havn't been on the Sun since her refurb, and I believe it has been improved greatly, but just the sheer size of the Dawn makes her a winner in my mind.:D

Marg, the refurb was mostly cosmetic (apart from The Oasis and moving the gym to the aft of the ship) so the overall feel of the ship is much the same as it's always been.

If given the choice of the same (or similar) itineraries I would choose Pacific Dawn over Pacific Sun any day. But that said, I wouldn't turn down a cruise on Pacific Sun if it was doing an intinerary that I wanted to do.

As has been said, the passenger capacity of the ships is about the same, but Pacific Dawn is much bigger - so you notice the crowds more, particularly in the areas around the Lido Pool and outside the restauants; oh how we longed for that large open area outside the Palm Court on Pacific Dawn, while we were queing in the narrow passage way between Churchills Library/Steakhouse and the Speakesy outside the Burgundy restaruant on Pacific Sun!

And don't get me started on the show lounge again!! Not one night on Pacific Sun did we have an unobstructed view of the stage. No matter where you sit in the Atlantis show lounge you have a metal pole or a rotating couch or a balcony blocking your view. And then you have to sit and look at the hideous Sea Horses.

Archived