Formal Nights on Holland America

VaTraveler

Hi momofmeg, I wasn't the least bit offended and I do appreciate the help. You've given me new ideas for planning the "cruisewear".....thanks, Liz

Oh, I did not think you were. You told me you prefered coral, so you "got" what I was saying, and I was replying to you.

Hoyaheal though felt my post was more "general" and I suppose she is right in a way, as I have no idea what your coloring is. Someone whose complexion has more of a pink undertone, may would look more sun burnt and not more youthful. When I was younger, my skin had more of a pink undertone, but as I have aged, my coloring, although the same degree of fairness, has sallowed. I need that pink! I believe that is true of many women in their fifities.

I doubt this trick would work for a gal around 40 who would like to look thirty-LOL! so Hoyaheel has a good point, my advice is not going to help everyone. However, I was really only explaining why I said fuchsia, simply MY OWN personal preferance-not advice really-LOL!

That is one thing about these little tricks I have learned for making myself look better. I have found as I have aged, colors I used to not care for much, and would not dream of wearing, I will now, if that color makes me look younger! LOL! that is my definition of what looks good on me now-anything that makes me look younger, and also anything that makes me look slimmer! Not a worry for me so much, just 10 years ago!

Oh me too. I used to be an easy size 4....but no more! The lines of experience are everywhere...but I am so much wiser now, LOL. Thanks for the help. Nice to have gals to chat with, have a good one. Liz

Oh me too. I used to be an easy size 4....but no more! The lines of experience are everywhere...but I am so much wiser now, LOL. Thanks for the help. Nice to have gals to chat with, have a good one. Liz

I remembered that I have put coral and black together on a cruise. LOL! We did a 12 day cruise in 07 a TA from Europe to the US. We also spent a few days pre cruise in England. So, like you, I had to watch my packing. (16 days total)I also took mostly black, although I did take a brown skirt. I brought bronze dress shoes that looked good with both colors to keep down the shoes! I had black shoes with me, but they were walking shoes,not dress shoes. LOL!

I brought several silky/satin camis/tanks that I wore with a black bolero/ shrug with sparkly sequins on it along with black slacks on informal night. There were 3 informal nights, so I wore a fuchsia cami, a coral cami and a teal cami to "switch up" the outfit. The second informal night though, to "mix things up" a bit more, I skipped the shrug, as that tank (the teal) had more substance to it, and I simply wore it with a black shawl.

I envy you going for a whole month! Next year we are planning a 10 day HAL cruise partial transit, but my dream is to do a full transit to California, spend a few days there and then I would like to do a two week to Hawaii before flying home, all together that would be a month total and almost back to back. Now this is just in the dream stages-LOL! I imagine I will have to settle for one or the other but tha tis what I would liek to do when my hubby and I celebrate our thirtieth anniversary.

Hi. sounds like a nice plan, maybe it is possible with all the deals floating out there. We planned this trip as I am not a fan of flying, esp. at night and this allowed us to skip that miserable flight to Europe, filled with jetlag. DH has always wanted to do a TA and we used to talk about doing it on our own boat, but then we found out how seasick I can be.....so this seemed like a good alternative. then we wanted to get as much value out of that one trip as we could so we are doing the B2B. We are traveling now as we are both cancer survivors and you just never know, do you? But I think 30 years together is an even better reason to do a great trip.

Again. thanks for the help......I am sure that you and i will both look gorgeous! Liz:)

Hi. sounds like a nice plan, maybe it is possible with all the deals floating out there. We planned this trip as I am not a fan of flying, esp. at night and this allowed us to skip that miserable flight to Europe, filled with jetlag. DH has always wanted to do a TA and we used to talk about doing it on our own boat, but then we found out how seasick I can be.....so this seemed like a good alternative. then we wanted to get as much value out of that one trip as we could so we are doing the B2B. We are traveling now as we are both cancer survivors and you just never know, do you? But I think 30 years together is an even better reason to do a great trip.

Again. thanks for the help......I am sure that you and i will both look gorgeous! Liz:)

Oh then you are doing the round trip from US one? Esther E did that on HAL Prinsedam. In July 2007 I think. She will post here sometimes. I also saw another poster who is doing that on Princess this summer. However, if you are not flying, then you do not have to worry so much about the luggage limit.

You know another thing I thought of-if I did two full Panama Canal transits, one over to CA and one back, I could skip the flying. But hubby really wants see Hawaii. Now if we could stay away 2 months AND had the funds, I suppose we could do three, LOL! You know, over to CA- then a 2 week Hawaii, week or so in CA, and then back to FL.

Hi. Your plans are sounding better all the time. We did Hawaii with -X- several years ago. We flew to San Diego, caught the ship and flew home from Honolulu on Thanksgiving Day. What a long day that was. We flew into BWI and drove home from there. Somewhere in Maryland, we were stopped at a traffic lite and heard horns, realized that we had both fallen asleep while waiting for the light to change. :oDecided it was time to take a break at the nearest restaurant. If we ever do that again we will cruise at least both ways from California to Hawaii.But your idea of through the canal sounds even better!Oh for unlimited funds and no jobs...or flexible jobs!

I think I gave the wrong impression, sorry, we are only doing the TA to Europe, then the 10 day through the med, then are flying home from Rome. 26 days total.. I don't seem to have the problem flying during the day and west and I do at night and east. Can't figure it. I must have a foolish biological clock. I still am not crazy about it but it is okay. As for the luggage,the tightest restrictions are those from VA to FLL tho. So I have to restrain myself!Good to talk to you......Liz

Hi. Your plans are sounding better all the time. We did Hawaii with -X- several years ago. We flew to San Diego, caught the ship and flew home from Honolulu on Thanksgiving Day. What a long day that was. We flew into BWI and drove home from there. Somewhere in Maryland, we were stopped at a traffic lite and heard horns, realized that we had both fallen asleep while waiting for the light to change. :oDecided it was time to take a break at the nearest restaurant. If we ever do that again we will cruise at least both ways from California to Hawaii.But your idea of through the canal sounds even better!Oh for unlimited funds and no jobs...or flexible jobs!

I think I gave the wrong impression, sorry, we are only doing the TA to Europe, then the 10 day through the med, then are flying home from Rome. 26 days total.. I don't seem to have the problem flying during the day and west and I do at night and east. Can't figure it. I must have a foolish biological clock. I still am not crazy about it but it is okay. As for the luggage,the tightest restrictions are those from VA to FLL tho. So I have to restrain myself!Good to talk to you......Liz

Okay, so just one flight, sort've what we did, except we only did the TA. There was a couple on our roll call that had done the previous 2 week cruise-so they were 26 days on ship. It made sense to me, if you could take the time from work, flights are expensive.

We also had a few people on our roll call that cruised over on Cunard Queen Mary 2, spent 5 days in England and then cruised back on Celebrity Constellation. One couple lived in Atlanta, like us and we had met them for lunch along with a few others from Atlanta. They actually took Amtrak up to NY and returned on Amtrak from NJ.

As you are doing two cruises-no worry about repeating outfits-very few will have been on both cruises.

We will be on the same ship in April. Yes, twenty-six and the three days in Rome afterwards are a packing nightmare.

My suitcase looks just like what you discribed. So, you will not be alone

in cocktail length skirt or dress and wraps. I love to see the fancy's, but

comfort is my style!

We will be on the same ship in April. Yes, twenty-six and the three days in Rome afterwards are a packing nightmare.

My suitcase looks just like what you discribed. So, you will not be alone

in cocktail length skirt or dress and wraps. I love to see the fancy's, but

comfort is my style!

Hi, are you on our cruise or another one on the Noordam? We leave the 3rd of April as you can see, and will fly home the 29th. We probably should have planned a few days in Rome, but thought by then we'd be ready to get on home. If you are on our cruise, why don't you check on our rollcall. They are a chatty and informative group.....As for fashion, my goal is to look well put together but be comfortable as well. Went shopping today, lots of deals out there. Now to find a truly comfy pair of walking shoes.......have a great one:)

Since I started this thread, I thought I would get back on and report on my experience on the Veendam regarding formal wear. It was a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise. I've been on several 7-day Caribbean cruises before on different cruise lines, and I can say this was the LEAST formal of any cruise I've ever been on. I wore my short cocktail dress the first night--red sheath with a small amount of beading. I was among the most dressed of anyone I saw. The second night I had a long, black formal, and I was much more formal than anyone else I saw. It was really crazy how casual the majority of the people were. I did see quite a few men in tuxes, although I also saw a large number in suits and even sport coats. It was the women who were dressed more for church than for a formal night. Of the few who did have on something I would consider close to formal wear in many cases had shoes that were flat sandals of the EasySpirit or Naturalizer variety.

So, that was my experience. I guess all cruises are getting less formal. This Holland America was less formal than any others I've been on.

Hi, I'm over here across the York River.......thanks for reporting back. Isn't that something about less formal wear.... Do you think it's because of the luggage restrictions, the Caribbean, the 7 days, or just the luck of the draw?

I also wonder if we will have more Europeans on our cruise and if that will make a difference. I had thought maybe i would leave the long dress home. I have a short dress,just above the knee, fitted with V neck, kind of a flesh satin with a black lace overlay. It's almost a 50's look. I thought I'd take that instead of a long black dress. I'd wear it with black sparkly jewelry and probably a black wrap as I am always cold on the ship. then i have a berry red silk sheath. My long black dress is very simple, fitted with slightly gathered skirt. usually wear with pearls or sparklies. May I ask what thoughts do you have given what you just saw?? thanks, L

VaTraveler, I beleive cruises have gotten more causal. it seems every time I go they are a little more causal than the year before. My HAL cruise last April was more formal than my NCL cruise in November. However, I bleieve that is the difference in the 2 lines somewhat. It seemed to me cocktail or "after 5" is more appropriate than black tie on HAL nowadays for formal night. ON NCL though, you can wear resort causal and be fine. Of course they call their "formal night", "dress up or not night."

Dibbitz, I have no idea about how dressy your European cruse will be, but my TA was dressier than the Caribbean. My cruise on Celebrity Constellation in Sept. 07, was more dressy than my HAL Westerdam western Caribbean in April 08.

Dibbitz, I think any of the dresses you describe would not be in the least bit out of place. We took a European (Greek Isles) cruise in October of 2007, twelve day, with Princess, and again I saw lots of all types of dresses. It was certainly more formal than this one was, but the short dresses and pants with dressy tops were still in the majority. Trust me, you will not feel out of place in any of them.

I kind of hate to see the true formal night disappear. As I'm sure you know, we don't have many formal occasions in this area, so I enjoy the opportunity to dress up on the ships.

The formal nights were pretty formal when we sailed with HAL. I wore a more formal dress for the first night (Captain's Gala) and a cocktail dress for the second event. Even though we were in the Caribbean, it seemed to be a more formal crowd when it came time for dinner.

The formal nights were pretty formal when we sailed with HAL. I wore a more formal dress for the first night (Captain's Gala) and a cocktail dress for the second event. Even though we were in the Caribbean, it seemed to be a more formal crowd when it came time for dinner.

Boardwalk babe, both VAtraveler, the OP, and myself found that HAL in the Caribbean, is not as dressy as it used to be, compared to NCL, Carnival, and those type lines, yes. But we both saw more cocktail/after 5 than black tie.

I did see this one couple, looked to be around 60 who were gorgeous! I saw them in one of the lounges dancing before dinner. She had on a halter style red satin evening gown with a few sparklies, but just a few, just enough to enhance the gown, not overwhelm it. She also had a great marabou shurg/wrap; her man was in a tux of course! They were something else!

Unfortunately, all though most looked nice at dinner, many dressed down. At 10 pm when we left dinner, many from early dinner were in shorts, and not even nice shorts, but cut offs and gym shorts. It certainly ruined the "mood."

Well Va Traveler, I agree that it is fun to really dress, like the old movies I used to watch when I was a kid. I would see the old stars like Clark Gable all dressed to the nines, and I can remember thinking when I grow up I want to go out and dance, all dressed up just like that. I thought it would be so easy to do. but you are right, we don't have many chances around here. And when you can , it costs a fortune, like at thecharity events....not something I frequent. But thanks for the advice. My DH and I will probably dress, if we can fit it in the suitcases ;) thanks for all your help everyone, i will report back.....L

Well Va Traveler, I agree that it is fun to really dress, like the old movies I used to watch when I was a kid. I would see the old stars like Clark Gable all dressed to the nines, and I can remember thinking when I grow up I want to go out and dance, all dressed up just like that. I thought it would be so easy to do. but you are right, we don't have many chances around here. And when you can , it costs a fortune, like at thecharity events....not something I frequent. But thanks for the advice. My DH and I will probably dress, if we can fit it in the suitcases ;) thanks for all your help everyone, i will report back.....L

That is why I would like to do Cunard one day. I suppose we will have to wait until retirement for my hubby to have the time-but I would love to "cross the pond" on Cunard and then return on a repositioning ship.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are taking our first cruise on Holland America in two weeks. It's a Western Caribbean, 7-night cruise. We've previously been on several with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Princess. I have always done the long formal on formal nights, but I have recently begun to feel I was dressed more formally than the majority of passengers. Does anyone have experience with Holland America? Do most wear long dresses or cocktail?

Formal night is getting too relax as far as we are concern. Mattox is correct, this is a very hot tropic. My wife and I love dressing up for these nights as do 99% of the people, but you alway have the ones who do not care or refuse to dress up.

Formal night is getting too relax as far as we are concern. Mattox is correct, this is a very hot tropic. My wife and I love dressing up for these nights as do 99% of the people, but you alway have the ones who do not care or refuse to dress up.

Jammen, that is just it; for the Caribbean it more like 70/30 our last HAL cruise as far as liking to dress up for dinner. Alaska was different. I am going back though to January 2010 when we did the one lock Panama canal 10 day. We haven't cruised HAL since then; mainly becasue of the smoking issues which I understand they also are going stricter so hopefully we will cruise HAL again.

You know I am okay if some women wear cocktail dresses and their men in dark suits, I will even accept women is sparkly tops and black dress slacks with their partners in sport coats and ties on formal night. What I hate is those who do not even make that much of an effort. It spoils the ambiance for me.

I have read that RCI's newest monster ship will have one formal dress restaurant (no pay extra). They will have several several no pay extra restaurants and several pay extra and no traditional dining. You pick the restaurant by what you want for that night. I think this is an excellent idea and I think all the lines should go to this. Hey, those of us who like formal could go several nights if the cruise line did not limit how often for us! I would choose 3 nights out of 7 if it was allowed!

We are taking our first cruise on Holland America in two weeks. It's a Western Caribbean, 7-night cruise. We've previously been on several with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Princess. I have always done the long formal on formal nights, but I have recently begun to feel I was dressed more formally than the majority of passengers. Does anyone have experience with Holland America? Do most wear long dresses or cocktail?

Look the Best you can. No problem on Holland.

OP went on her HAL cruise in 2009.

Yep dibbitz brought it up but I found his info incorrect for my 2019 HAL cruise on formal night so I posted.

Maybe I should start a new thread; becasue I would love all lines to do what the newest RCI ship will do, no traditional dining and one no pay extra restaurant is formal every night. the others are casual both pay extra and no pay extra.

I may would actually get excited about what I wore on cruises again. As it is, when so many do not participate, it sort've spoils the ambiance for me. I feel why dress to the 9's when a good percentage dress casually? I dress up but I do not want to stick out, even if it is in a good way. I never buy anything new for formal night now, I just wear what I already have as I no longer find it "fun." if we had one restaurant that was always formal and enforced I would get excited again as we would have the ambiance at least in the diningroom.