Take the day off in G.C.?

newcruiser30

We are sailing our first-ever cruise on RCI this March 15 to the Western Caribbean. We currently have an excurision booked (mostly with private companies) at every port. I am wondering if we should 'take the day off' in Grand Cayman and just wonder/taxi around on our own, or go with the Island and Sea Turtle excursion we have booked with RCI.

Is Grand Cayman a good place to just bum around in and enoy yourself, or is it a place with many "must sees"? We are not keen on the idea of the Sting Rays and were not planning on doing that anyway.

Thank you for your advice! :)

best shopping island there is, if you want high end ... a good place to wander ... also the safest island you'll visit.... or just find a chunk of sand on 7 Mile Beach .... or snorkel at Eden Rock

or my choice....head 1 mile south of town to Sunset House and snorkel...hang out by the pool (ask nice at the bar and they usually say OK) then enjoy the best bar on the island. Depending on your ship departure time you can watch for the green flash ... but do NOT challenge the locals to a game of dominos....just watch (listen) to them play !!!!

sunsethouse.com .......... I do NOT work for them, but first visited over 20 years ago....

Good advice from Capt_BJ.

But reconsider your thoughts about the sting rays. We just did the Turtle Farm, Hell, and Sting Ray City excursion. Turtle Farm was very interesting. Hell, OK we can say we went to Hell and back. Not much to see. Sting Ray City was a treat. Nice relaxing boat ride to the sandbar -- less than 30 minutes.

Once there the crew anchors and you get in the water. The rays are very gentle and all handling is done by the crew. Probably our best experience on a ship excursion in 5 cruises. We were treated to fresh conch on the trip back to shore.

Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/waltm2/GrandCaymanHellTurtleFarmStingrayCity#

you can make a day of it just around the pier if you just want to

take the day off from excursion s..lots, lots of high end shops..

there was a shop the wife and i walked into..a jewelry store..with

REAL select Movatos on sale 2 for 1..of course the wife said NO..:mad:

and there s Margaritaville across the street from the RCCL and CCL

tender piers..

GC is a great spot to Bum the day away. Sting Ray city is fun, also a glass bottom boat tour of the shipwrecks and fish is a great way to kill an hour. You can catch tours right after you exit the boat, and to your right (if you are facing the shops) there is the glass bottom boat tour company, I think it's called Atlantis.

I remember one year the highlight of our trip was in GC, I was getting tired of Cruise food, and ended up paying $5 for a mountain dew and a bag of taco doritos, I'm silly like that:cool:

Archived