last cruise for Galaxy

ohiogrammy

Has anyone ever been on a ship's last cruise with a company?

I understand I booked on Galaxy's last cruise with Celebrity.

Should I expect a decline of service?

Hi,:) I know there are quite a few people from these

boards who sailed Horizon and Zenith on their final

voyages. Hopefully some of them will give you a reply.

I just sailed Galaxy last month and I would love to go

with you on that last cruise!

Much of the crew will be the same as I had and I cannot

imagine they will give you anything less than I received:)

The crew and staff were outstanding!

I do think it will probably be a little meloncholoy for much

of them though...alot of them have worked on Galaxy

for many, many contracts.

We were so concerned about the same things, we booked Mercury's final voyage.

All these employees still need go reviews if they want to keep their jobs with X and move onto a new ship. Any cut back or lack of attention to detail could cost them their job with X. Since many are supporting a family back home, that's the last thing they want. You will have a great time.

you just put in for vacation and come with us!!! It won't be the same without you. :D I am sure this last sailing for Galaxy will be as wonderful as every other sailing she has made.

OhioGrammy if you go to the roll call forums and sign up you will be invited to a get together party probably on the first sea day. We have quite a group of really nice people gathered already.

Rick did I miss read Mercury's final sailing? I was told this was the case onboard Galaxy in January but has it been officially announced?

Ellen

Hey there:)

I can never sail at the very end of the month (or the very

beginning):eek: due to that 4 letter word.......

March 2nd? Wish I could.

I know you will have a wonderful time (again:D)

They have not announced Mercury's final sailing (yet) but lots

of new itineraries for 2010/11 are coming out soon........so

we shall find out soon enough.

If I have them hold the ship for one day could you leave on the 3rd???:D

The way things are going I may be cruising alone. One of my DH's projects just got pushed from 2/15 to guess when ... 3/1 and he has requested they move it to 3/15 but not sure what is going to happen. I will just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Maybe I will see you on Mercury before they kick her out of the fleet!

Ellen

The way things are going I may be cruising alone. One of my DH's projects just got pushed from 2/15 to guess when ... 3/1 and he has requested they move it to 3/15 but not sure what is going to happen. I will just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Ellen

Ellen

Rick did I miss read Mercury's final sailing? I was told this was the case onboard Galaxy in January but has it been officially announced?

Ellen

No you haven't missed anything. I'm reading signs of what X is doing with the older ships with the new ones coming out.

On the Solstice last month in talking with the crew, they seem to believe she is gone at the end of the Caribbean season next year. Matched up with what I feel and rumors I've heard. I full expect when the new itienraries come out in April, Mercury will be left off. With RCCL pulling a ship from Alaska, what are the odds X will have just two ships there in 2010 instead of 3 is pretty good.

Think about summer 2010, Sosltice, Equinox, Eclipse, Constellation all in Europe. Summit sailing from Bayonne. Infinity and Millie doing Alaska. What would X do with Century and Mercury. Century will likely do Alaska, Europe or stay in the Caribbean.

Will the economy be better by then to support the additional ship? I don't think X can count on that. But it will really depend on what RCI thinks and how the new French and German lines do. It looks as if the French line will be built from old RCCL ships and the German line from X ships. They could even retire some of the older Pullmantur ships and tranfers X ships there.

The news will be interesting as to what they plan and it should be out by the time they release their schedules.

I fully expect the April 9 2010 sailing of Mercury to be her last. Even so, they could cancel that cruise and transfer her to another line early. Then I will switch to the new final sailing. She is my second favorite ship, it's just sad her itineraries haven't match my preferences for cruising.

We were on the final Zenith cruise. What a wonderful time we had! Sad, but wonderful! She was our favorite ship. Her final cruise was our 10th time to sail on her. But, to your question;

1. The crew was as up to snuff as ever

2. There was NO decline in service

3. In fact, in some instances, service was better, i.e.

.Chief Housekeeper left us surprises (champagne, X champagne glasses,

candy, X towels, etc.on several days

.Martini Bar server gave us our "special" glasses to take home

.Wine from the Chief Engineer

4. The shops sold out stock at VERY good prices

5. CD staff were very generous with prizes (until they ran out). (We have a stack of t-shirts!)

There was an overall "last sail" pall but that did not effect the service, entertainment or fun of the cruise. Zenith was a very special ship with a specail crew. We always felt like we were coming home and seeing old friends when we sailed her. I hope to see some of her crew on Mercury---you never can tell.

Anyway, you will find the last cruise on Galaxy to be as fine as any other one would be. Have a wonderful time!

Ohiogrammy,

If you are booked on the March 2nd Galaxy cruise sailing from San Juan, then you are on the last Galaxy cruise with Celebrity. We are on this last sailing, which will be our 8th time on the Galaxy. The last couple days will be sad for us as we lots & lots of good memories, including our very first cruise, our only transatlantic cruise, and our favorite (Eastern Mediterranean) cruise.

Anyway, here is the link to our rollcall. Like Ellen (Eleris) said, we have a group of very nice people on the rollcall. They will be happy to welcome you and answer any questions you may have (if they know the answers).

Galaxy March 2nd rollcall:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=545323

BTW: My DH and I were born and grew up in Ohio.

Kathy & Jack

We were on the final Zenith cruise with Ships R Great. It was magnificent.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D:DBob and Phyl

Such a sign of cotentment comes over me whenever that cruise is mentioned. Didn't we have a great time? Wooeee, going on a sea cruise! Do you know if any of her crew is on Mercury now? I am thinking of Yannis, Anna and Roland in particular.

We were on the final Zenith cruise with Ships R Great. It was magnificent.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D:DBob and Phyl

We were also on the final Zenith cruise with Ships R Great and wvufan. (hello again!!)

As mentioned, everything was wonderful........and we both enjoyed the experience. Would we go on a final sailing again? Probably not. We did not experience any of the "little extras or give-aways" that Ships R Great received--couldn't even find a Zenith t-shirt! Other than our memories, we have nothing to indicate that we were on a final sailing.

We found it very sad to see the Zenith's contents being removed from the Ship before passengers disembarked. I thought it rather interesting seeing kitchen pots and pans and deck chairs being off-loaded while we were out on deck!!!

The crew was marvelous as always. It was sad to witness the crew saying good-bye to their friends, and passengers saying good-bye to the crew--lots of tears. We did enjoy the experience--there were many highlights and we have many new sailing friends. We are glad we were part of the journey and the experiences--we're just not sure we'd do it again.

Sandy

Archived