Tipping Question - Who Gets to Keep What?

ExDean

We've read alot about tipping from a number of CCers all quite helpful. We did read, somewhere on these threads, that the CASH tips to your room steward, waiter, etc. above and beyond the normal daily amount added to your cruise account goes to Princess??? Does receiver get to keep all you tip in cash? Sounds like "yes" but we've heard otherwise. All you CCers who are up on this we would appreciate your input so when we crise in march we can take proper care of the staff. Please bring us up to date and keep on crusin'. Thanks much

This topic can tend to be a "hot" subject so I would suggest to go to Search this forum by the page number and just put in tipping. There are alot of threads on this very subject.

Marilyn

If you leave the auto tip in place then any extra you give to your room steward, waiter, etc they get to keep. If you have removed the auto tip then they have to give whatever you give them in cash to the "pool" to be split. We always leave the auto tip on and then can reward those that go the extra mile.

If I was the steward and a passenger gave me a cash tip, Princess nor anyone else would ever even hear about it, much less take it from me!

My sentiments entirely - I've been trying to get this point over for weeks!:)

Glenda

If you leave the auto-tip in place and tip extra in cash, the person gets to keep the amount. However, they must first turn it in and it's checked whether the giver has removed the auto-tip and if they haven't, it's returned.

The crew is on an honor system with regards to the tip and if they are caught keeping a tip without turning it in, they can and will be put off the ship and have to find their own way home. This is a pretty powerful incentive. While I'm sure it's tempting to keep the tip, the honor system is just that -- a matter of honor. From some of the responses so far, there isn't much left.

If I was the steward and a passenger gave me a cash tip, Princess nor anyone else would ever even hear about it, much less take it from me!

My sentiments entirely - I've been trying to get this point over for weeks!:)

Glenda

When I give my room steward extra $$$, he is in my cabin, not out in the corridor. There is no way for anyone to observe this extra tip.

Incorrect..When they leave your room they put the money into an envelope, mark it with your name and cabin number, seal it and hand it to their supervisor. At the end of the cruise, if you have NOT removed the auto-tip, they will get the envelope back. If they get caught not doing this, the can be demoted or lose their job. Also, Princess has been known to have corporate personnel traveling on the ship tip in excess of the autotip to check that room stewards and waiters are turning in the money.

From what an employee reported, the stewards are aware of who removed the auto tip, the front desk list is posted. They are then are on alert who's personal tips are to be turned-in. As one cabin steward said, they are afraid not to turn them in for fear it is a test. Loss of job can result if discovered. He said they have no idea if a passenger is actually "testing" for the cruise line and reporting what they left versus what the steward reported. He said they are too concerned about their jobs to take a chance. Just one person's report.

Thanks all you CCers. We knew we could get a variety of answers to this question - and we did. Took Mii's advice and went to the search and put in "Tipping." Another set of a variety of answers. Seems like a lot of folks may not always be right, but never in doubt. Anyhow, we appreciate all the input and will keep the autotip, as we always do, and tip with cash our room steward, waiter, etc. in cash for above and beyond as we always do - just wanted to make sure it went to them.

Thanks again

Incorrect..When they leave your room they put the money into an envelope, mark it with your name and cabin number, seal it and hand it to their supervisor. At the end of the cruise, if you have NOT removed the auto-tip, they will get the envelope back. If they get caught not doing this, the can be demoted or lose their job. Also, Princess has been known to have corporate personnel traveling on the ship tip in excess of the autotip to check that room stewards and waiters are turning in the money.

Yes, that was exactly our experience on a recent cruise on the Coral and I confess it was the first time I had seen it. We tiped our waiter and his assistant an amount over the auto-tip and I witnessed the waiter take the envelope from the asst. and write our name and cabin number on both. I was impressed to see them playing it by the book...I have no idea how our cabin steward handled his extra tip.

I wonder how this works in the anytime dining rooms. My wife and I always sign up for anytime dining and usually sit in the same section each night so we have the same waiters. Now, the anytime waiters have no idea what cabin you are in (unless you order drinks that are charged to your room). We have given our waiters cash tips before at the end of the trip and none of them have asked for our name or cabin number. Anyone have any ideas?

If you leave the auto-tip in place and tip extra in cash, the person gets to keep the amount. However, they must first turn it in and it's checked whether the giver has removed the auto-tip and if they haven't, it's returned.

The crew is on an honor system with regards to the tip and if they are caught keeping a tip without turning it in, they can and will be put off the ship and have to find their own way home. This is a pretty powerful incentive. While I'm sure it's tempting to keep the tip, the honor system is just that -- a matter of honor. From some of the responses so far, there isn't much left.

Not to mention the retaliation of their coworkers when caught.

Same as in any venue sharing tips, and they are many.

I wonder how this works in the anytime dining rooms. My wife and I always sign up for anytime dining and usually sit in the same section each night so we have the same waiters. Now, the anytime waiters have no idea what cabin you are in (unless you order drinks that are charged to your room). We have given our waiters cash tips before at the end of the trip and none of them have asked for our name or cabin number. Anyone have any ideas?

If you have ordered one drink, bottle of wine, etc., they will know. If you have not they will ask.. If they did not ask, the "cash" goes into the tip pool. We always put extra tips in an envelope with our name and cabin number written in the lower corner to pass out. That way there is no misunderstanding and they get to keep all of it...

We've read alot about tipping from a number of CCers all quite helpful. We did read, somewhere on these threads, that the CASH tips to your room steward, waiter, etc. above and beyond the normal daily amount added to your cruise account goes to Princess??? Does receiver get to keep all you tip in cash? Sounds like "yes" but we've heard otherwise. All you CCers who are up on this we would appreciate your input so when we crise in march we can take proper care of the staff. Please bring us up to date and keep on crusin'. Thanks much

this seems to be a question many are asking on all threads. We too, have heard, from reliable sourses, if you add the tip to your on board account it will go into the pool. Whether this is true or not, I don't know but to be on the safe side, we now try to tip above and beyond in cash.. Do they get to keep the cash or do they keep it? Who knows and I bet most crew members won't tell us either..LOL

Nita

Those that think the tips given in cash could be "hidden" to others are sadly mistaken. When you live in such close proximity to each other and people know your habits, they can guess what is happening. Since a person keeping cash tips is not "fair" they would be turned in as it is to the benefit of the others to do so. Also, senior staff when they go over cash tips would have records of past cash tips to compare against. There is always the bell curve to compare against. And why would one set of cabins give a certain amount of cash tips and the set of cabins next to it not give any cash tips? No cash tips would also mean is the individual doing such a poor job that they do not get extra tips? or are they keeping the cash and not turning it in? Over a period of time it would be difficult to keep hidden the fact you were not turning in the cash.

Archived