transportation question Christchurch

suzy5555

We are doing Christchurch on our own. I have been reading on here about transportation into Christchurch. This is my understanding. Since Lyttleton is a working industrial port, we aren't allowed to walk away from port area. There is a free shuttle run by the port authorities that take you to Lyttlelton Harbor where you walk about 2 blocks to the metro bus stop and catch bus #28 to the city centre. We are on Celebrity Millennium and arrive at 7:00am. What time do the free shuttles begin? I read somewhere on here it is 9:00am but I don't think that is correct. Does anyone know?

We were on the Volendam in October and found that the port shuttle started as soon as passengers were allowed to disembark. I was expecting to take the 28 bus into the city, but a free shuttle into the center of Christchurch was provided for us. I don't know if it was provided by the cruise line or the city of Christchurch, but it ran all day and was very convenient.

In the middle of the day, we took the 28 bus back toward the port in order to take a gondola ride to the top of the mountain, and the bus was easy to catch and ran frequently. Christchurch is a great city to visit. Our favorite activity was punting through the botanical gardens. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Thanks ConnMom

Free shuttle would be great to the city. I hope that is available for us. We go in 35 days. Coming back from the gondola ride - did you catch the 28 bus to Lyttelton Harbor and then free port shuttle. How do we find the free port shuttle?

The bus stops at the Gondola Station on its way back to Lyttleton. It is on the City side before you go through the tunnel to the port. You then catch the bus again for the short ride back to the port ,and the port shuttles run from the Visitors Centre in the town. Lyttleton only has one main street so its easy to find.The Grocery store/supermarket does a roaring trade that day with folk stocking up on snack foods,sodas and wine.:D

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Christchurch recently on Diamond Princess. The Lyttleton port shuttle started as soon as disembarkation was permitted. If you take the shuttle from the ship the driver will tell you where the return pickup point is. The port shuttle was free but the ship's shuttle to the city cost us $NZ15 return each.

On Rhapsody of the Seas you had to pay for the shuttle to Christchurch. We got the free shuttle to Littleton then the 28 bus. The ticket lasts one hour so you can get off at the gondola and back on to go to Christchurch and not have to pay again. Cost was $2.80NZ. Great when compared to the $9US RCI were charging

Archived