Check-in lugguge to destination

We, from Vancouver, Canada, will take the RCCL cruise at Barcelona in mid-May. We plan to use our British Airways (Oneworld alliance) mileage point for the YVR to BCN around-trip flights. Before the cruise, we'd like to tour Seville first. So I plan to book the connecting flight from BCN to SVQ then. The options are either by Iberia (Oneworld alliance) or Clickair (Iberia's subsidary but not Oneworld alliance). Could my luggage be ckecked-in from YVR all the way to SVQ even I booked the flights seperately with two sets of reservation numbers? Or I must pick-up mine at BCN and check-in again there to SVQ? Thanks for your insight to this in advance.

I think that since you have two tickets, you will have to claim your luggage in BCN & recheck it on to SVQ, but you can ask when you are checking in. Be sure to check carefoully the baggage claims to see where your baggage is going.

If I understand your plan correctly, you may have a problem with luggage allowance, unless you are a light packer. With two separate tickets, you would have the international allowance across the pond, and the "within Spain" allowance for the flight to Seville.

Here is the chart of Iberia's luggage allowances.

With separate tickets I doubt very much your luggage will get forwarded. Shorex is correct you might have a problem with your luggage allowance on your domestic flight. This depends of course on how you pack. If you can't make the domestic luggage allowance you might consider packing in such a way that you keep a bag or two at the BCN luggage storage while you are off to Seville and then claim it on the return.

We plan to use our British Airways (Oneworld alliance) mileage point for the YVR to BCN around-trip flights. Before the cruise, we'd like to tour Seville first. So I plan to book the connecting flight from BCN to SVQ then. The options are either by Iberia (Oneworld alliance) or Clickair (Iberia's subsidary but not Oneworld alliance). Could my luggage be ckecked-in from YVR all the way to SVQ even I booked the flights seperately with two sets of reservation numbers?
As far as British Airways is concerned, they will through-check your bags all the way to SVQ if your BCN-SVQ flight is on Iberia, and the connection time at BCN is at least the published Minimum Connection Time for that transfer. This applies even if travel is on two separate tickets. But they will not do so to a non-oneworld airline, so this would not work for Clickair. This policy is clearly stated on the British Airways website.

I don't know whether customs requirements mean that you would have to collect your baggage in Barcelona anyway to clear customs there. Normally, the position in the EU is that you don't, and you clear customs at your final destination (ie SVQ) but I know that there are some exceptions and somewhere in the back of my mind is that Spain contains some of them.

There is theoretically a problem with baggage allowances, but with through-checked baggage you stand a reasonable chance of getting away with it.

Thanks for all your inputs. This couple will check-in one, 22kg luggage each in YVR for sure. I also find that our Iberia 5662/5663 flights to SVQ are actually by ClickAir (XG2511/2510). We've 1 hr. and 15 min. in BCN that night to connect from BA7075 (by Iberia Airlines) to IB 5662 (by ClickAir 2511). Is it OK? And how challenge are the BCN terminals, both international and domestic for these non-Spanish tourists??

With Northwest, we can actually check the bags all the way to the final destination, even if on two separate tickets, if there is an agreement with the two airlines and the passenger holds proof that he has a ticket. There is a 6-12 hour (I think) hold time for international bags though (depending on airport and airline). If the flights are more than x number of hours apart (six is standing out in my head for some reason), the bags usually will have to be claimed and then rechecked.

When flying out, I would recommend bringing the print-out of the itinerary from BCN-SVQ (showing a confirmation number and preferably a ticket number) and ask the person at the counter if the last segment can be added to your bag itenerary. Show up at a time when there won't be very many people checking in and you can have the agent work on this without being distracted because it can take a while to figure out how to do it. This is strictly from memory of NWA's policy, which a lot of others have similar, but BA may be different. Never hurts to call the airline or the counter at the airport either.

I also find that our Iberia 5662/5663 flights to SVQ are actually by ClickAir (XG2511/2510). We've 1 hr. and 15 min. in BCN that night to connect from BA7075 (by Iberia Airlines) to IB 5662 (by ClickAir 2511). Is it OK?
I have to say that I'm not sure about this one. Although you have bought the BCN-SVQ flight from a oneworld airline, the technical description of that flight is that it is a non-oneworld (ie Clickair) flight marketed by a oneworld airline (ie Iberia).

This page is the official BA policy on this. It says:-

Baggage transfer onto another British Airways flight

Question

If I am connecting onwards with another British Airways or oneworld flight, can I check my bag in for the whole journey?

Answer

If you have a same day connection on a British Airways or oneworld flight you will be checked through to your final destination. You can also be checked through if you are changing terminals at Heathrow.

This means that your baggage will be labelled through to your onward destination and you will have a boarding card for your next flight. You will not have to check in again or collect your baggage, simply follow the Flight Connections signs and make your way to your departure terminal.

You will need to:

• produce proof or documentation of your onward travel
  • have a connection within the minimum airport connection time
  • travel on the same day
  • meet local country restrictions

Strictly speaking, the Clickair flight could be said to be a non-oneworld flight, even though it has been sold by a oneworld airline, and thus BA's policy would be to say no. I think that you would probably be well advised to get some positive confirmation from BA, in writing, that it will through-check to SVQ if you want to try it; you should then take this with you to check-in at YVR in case there are problems.

The OAG published minimum connection time at BCN is 45 minutes, so at least the 1:15 will be enough to satisfy that criterion. However, if you have to collect at BCN and re-check, then I don't think you have enough time.

I called BA's reservation toll-free number here about this and the replies are affirmative by one supervisor and "not possible" by another supervisor. I may just go to the YVR's BA check-in counter one day to find out myself.

The local travel agent here says if we let her books/issues all the said flight tickets in one (1) booking number, then our check-in luggage will be to the final distination (SVQ) all the way even though if we're flying on the completely different alliance airlines.

How true is this?

If it's one ticket - BA will check your bags all the way, no matter what airline you are connecting to.

If it's seperate tickets, BA will check your bags only on to another BA flight or another Oneworld flight.

This is what the local travel agent said. But is still waiting for BA to comfirm this before commit to the Clickair's BCN/SVQ booking.

On the subject of onward travel with Clickair but on a One World ticket I booked a flight from Venice to Barcelona last night. The Clickair flight leaves at exactly the same time as the Iberia flight but it appeared that Iberia was the cheaper but by an insignificant amount once you had added on all the low cost carrier extras like luggage, seat, air to breath, and use of the toilet (probably cheaper if you pre-book). I greatly suspect that there is a consolidation of flights here. Clickair is a point to point carrier so normally you would not expect a luggage transfer. We are flying with Iberia to Cairo on Friday I will see if I can garner some information at the Iberia desk on this Clickair/Iberia operational relationship. In the meantime plan on well stocked carryons! Iberia do not enjoy a good reputation for luggage delivery:eek:

The Clickair flight leaves at exactly the same time as the Iberia flight ... I greatly suspect that there is a consolidation of flights here.
Just like for Barcelona-Seville, it looks to me like it's the same flight. It's just a standard codeshare arrangement, with Iberia placing its code on the Clickair flight.

• 3 weeks later...

I find the said Iberia's IB5662 from Barcelona to Seville on May 14 is out.... meaning it is now booked as ClickAir XG2511.

We shall fly-in to Barcelona at 7:30pm by IB7075 (from Heathrow) to catch this ClickAir 8:45pm flight. Will 1hr. 15min. be just enough to get our check-in luggage there to check-in again through customs & immigration normally!!

AFAIK, all of Iberia's domestic flights out of BCN (except to Madrid) are now operated by Clickair.

I think 1h 15m is way too tight to go through immigration (and possibly customs but not sure) at BCN, then get to the gate.

May I inquire why you don't just get an open-jaw award ticket, Vancouver - Seville, Barcelona - Vancouver, and (a) save the money on the BCN-SVQ portion, and (b) route yourselves more conveniently through Madrid rather than BCN on the outbound portion?

Gardyloo,

We got our said BA tickets on its Executive Club 50% off promo. And one of the restrictions is no open-jaw route.

If all fail, our back-up plan is to stay overnight at the BCN hotel to catch the morning direct flight to Seville.

It seems travel by rail around Europe is better this day. Except I don't seem to find a train ride to Seville leaving at the Barcelona airport.

• 2 weeks later...

An update.... BA now book us and our check-in luggage all the way to Seville through Heathrow and Madrid on Iberia Airlines with 1hr.55mim. & 1hr. 15min. connection time respectively.

We'll get the front row plane seats to get out quick, particularly in Madrid.

Cheers.

Archived