Memorize the deck plans?

cruzincurt

Do you study and memorize the deck plans before getting on the ship? We print out the deck plans or study the brochure weeks in advance of the cruise partly for the anticipation. When we finally get on the ship, we could get around blindfolded.

I've observed many on cruises that they seem as though they blindly booked a cabin and never even looked at a deck plan. "Oh look Marge, they have a pool".:rolleyes:

I love learning everything I can before we cruise including the layout of the ship. I am the same way with our ports of call; reading maps and trying to figure out where we will be and how far apart various sites are located. We derive 1/3 joy from our trips in planning, 1/3 on the actual trip and 1/3 in the lifelong memories.

Kathy:)

I certainly do not memorize the deck plan, but definately know what is near my stateroom when making that selection ! The adventure of exploring the cruise ship is part of the fun of a cruise and usually does not take me long to figure out where things are.

So for me... NO MEMORIZING ! :D

Yes, we study the deck plans before our cruise. All of our Princess cruises have been on the same class ships so it is not hard to find our way around anymore.

Still, we always tear out the deck plans for the ship that come in the glossy Princess brochures and use magnet clips to attach them to our stateroom wall.

Do you study and memorize the deck plans before getting on the ship? We print out the deck plans or study the brochure weeks in advance of the cruise partly for the anticipation. When we finally get on the ship, we could get around blindfolded.

I've observed many on cruises that they seem as though they blindly booked a cabin and never even looked at a deck plan. "Oh look Marge, they have a pool".:rolleyes:

I can believe that...some people are totally "out of it" in my opinion...I can tell you a story about checking into a hotel that offered shuttle rides to the airport terminals...the girl at the desk asked one couple what airline they were flying with so she could get them on the shuttle to the right terminal in the morning...they didn't have a clue...finally about 10 minutes later (and me getting frustrated with waiting on dumb and dumber) they figured it out...when I got to the desk, I said to the receptionist "I know what airline I'm flying on" .... she laughed...

I can believe that...some people are totally "out of it" in my opinion...I can tell you a story about checking into a hotel that offered shuttle rides to the airport terminals...the girl at the desk asked one couple what airline they were flying with so she could get them on the shuttle to the right terminal in the morning...they didn't have a clue...finally about 10 minutes later (and me getting frustrated with waiting on dumb and dumber) they figured it out...when I got to the desk, I said to the receptionist "I know what airline I'm flying on" .... she laughed...

Tooooooooo funny !!! Knowing what airline you are flying and memorizing a total deck plan on a cruise ship are two MAJOR different topics to remember ! :D

In the past I've tried, honestly, but I forget once I'm onboard.

Now I just don't bother, there's the little ship at each elevator bank which has the directions, so no need for memorization. After a while, I know where I need to go.

We do have one relative who probably couldn't find their way around inside their own cabin ;)

I know all I need to know before leaving home, the airline, the ship, the date, the cabin number.

I look at the deck plans and have a general idea of where things are, plus I do know where my cabin is and what is near it, but I don't memorize the plans and I really don't want to. Part of the fun, to me, is exploring the ship, finding all the lounges, surprises, nooks and crannies, etc.

I don't find ships all that hard to find my way around on, though once in a while I get mixed up as to forward and aft. The diagrams on each floor plus the different colored carpets for port and starboard help too.

I do know the name of my airline though! Gosh, one of those 'I can't believe I'm hearing that' things.

Do you study and memorize the deck plans before getting on the ship?

No... not really. I do check it out to see what is available prior to booking and try to orient myself in general...... buffet in top front, dining room lower rear, cabin midships 8th deck........ then I figure I can wing it from there.

I don't think I'll get lost.

A ship is not like a forest where you can keep walking in until you get half way..... then you're walking out. :D

I normally study the decks before just to see the different rooms but normally forget once I board the ship. I need to use the little map the first day then another day of just walking around then I have the ship down.

Now when I signed onto a ship as a crew member I got the passenger areas down in a day or two. The crew areas took me literally about 3 weeks to not get lost.

I study the deck plans off & on before the cruise, but don't memorize them. Mr Chew may look at them once, when I show him our cabin and what's above/below, etc

We've always gotten on board around 11am and spent several hours exploring. We find our room first (even though we can't get in, we've always been able to peek inside), then our table in the dining room ... then we just start walking all the decks, inside & out, until we can get into our room. At some point we have lunch ...

that's a lot of the fun for us, finding a stairway to a "secret" sun deck, or a short cut through the Business Center, or an out of the way rest room, or a quite place outside to sit & read or just watch the ocean.

Occasionally we get turned around somewhere, but it really doesn't matter - as long as we keep walking we always end up somewhere! :D;)

Archived