Shipboard Credit

Paris182

I recently cancelled an Oceania transatlantic (11/24/09) as the 5th Anniversary deals they were offering were too good to pass up, so I am now booked on the 1/14/10 Passage to Panama. When I booked and talked with the reservation agent one of the things we spoke about was the 500.00 shipboard credit. The agent was aware that I was booking as single person but at no time did she state that that changed the rules of the game. When I transferred the booking to my travel agent I was informed that the credit was only 250.00 as I am a single person. When I reviewed the website the header states 500.00 credit per stateroom. When I checked the disclaimer at the bottom it states discounts are based on double occupancy but technically it seems to me that the credit is not a discount. I tend to feel that this is deceptive especially as the first agent as Oceania did not correct me when I mentioned (several times) the 500.00 credit. So my question is...Am I being greedy? or do I have a point here?

Paris182

Oceania normally charged a 100% supplement for a single -- in other words, you paid for a double whether you used it or not. In that case, I would think the full $500 would apply whether it was a single or not.

I believe the sale is for a reduced supplement of only 25%. Therefore, I would think that the shipboard credit should be $317.50 -- $250 plus 25% of the other $250. I see your point about the wording they used, and the $317 would be the least settlement I would accept, unless I really wanted to go on the cruise, in which case I would cave in. :rolleyes:

It may be that reducing the shipboard credit was one of the factors they considered in reducing the single supplement, but if that is the case, they should have made it more clear.

Wow! I was so over the moon as a solo to get a cruise on the Regatta with ONLY a 25% single supplement AND pre-paid gratuities AND $250 OBC that it never crossed my mind to ask for a pro-rated OBC. Many people complain about the cruise lines nickel-and-diming us so we shouldn't do it to them. As my good friend says 'you can't have the penny and the bun'.

Given that O hasn't processed the "shipboard credit" to my invoice but did process the discounted pricing it would seem to be correctly considered to be something other than a "discount" and as such you should receive the $500 credit.

Having said that, I have no doubt that you will be unsuccessful in trying to get them to honour it.

If it is based on double occupancy why would you expect the full amount for a single...:confused:

The OBC are posted to your shipboard account ...there may be a note on the bottom of your invoice to say how much the OBC will be

Once onboard...the steward/stewardess will bring a form for you to sign to say that you are getting the OBC ...you get a receipt to keep.

Lyn

If it is based on double occupancy why would you expect the full amount for a single...:confused:

The OBC are posted to your shipboard account ...there may be a note on the bottom of your invoice to say how much the OBC will be

Once onboard...the steward/stewardess will bring a form for you to sign to say that you are getting the OBC ...you get a receipt to keep.

Lyn

I thought that the OBC was just shown at the final ship bill the night or two before disembarking? Nothing on the invoice or upon embarking?

I thought that the OBC was just shown at the final ship bill the night or two before disembarking? Nothing on the invoice or upon embarking?

On our last invoice the TA had a note at the bottom saying how much our OBC was going to be or free gratuities if we got that ...it may not be from O but just my wonderful TA who lists it.;)

Yes it will be posted to your shipboard account ( not sure when) but we got a card to sign on the first day to let us know that we had "free gratuities" & have a copy.

either way it works out fine

Lyn

Having said that, I have no doubt that you will be unsuccessful in trying to get them to honour it.

"Oceania Cruises reserves the right to correct errors or omissions and to change any and all fares, fees, and surcharges at any time."

I have a feeling you are right on that one.

I recently cancelled an Oceania transatlantic (11/24/09) as the 5th Anniversary deals they were offering were too good to pass up, so I am now booked on the 1/14/10 Passage to Panama. When I booked and talked with the reservation agent one of the things we spoke about was the 500.00 shipboard credit. The agent was aware that I was booking as single person but at no time did she state that that changed the rules of the game. When I transferred the booking to my travel agent I was informed that the credit was only 250.00 as I am a single person. When I reviewed the website the header states 500.00 credit per stateroom. When I checked the disclaimer at the bottom it states discounts are based on double occupancy but technically it seems to me that the credit is not a discount. I tend to feel that this is deceptive especially as the first agent as Oceania did not correct me when I mentioned (several times) the 500.00 credit. So my question is...Am I being greedy? or do I have a point here?

Paris182

An OBC is NOT a discount. I'd push this if I were you...

SheriBrian

As long as we are taking sides, I'll agree with Lyn and Pam.

The discount from the cruise fare is split up per person so I see no reason to expect anything but the same to be true for the on board credit. $250 per person.

Oceania's wording could probably be clearer but that seems to always be the case with this sort of thing.

Archived