***** Price Gouging on Norwegian Cruise Line*****

helosardig

Just so people understand where I'm coming from, I was a store manager at 2 Franklin Quest stores, which became Franklin Covey towards the end of my working for them. The first one was in Charlotte, NC which I opened. Later, I transfered to Overland Park, Kansas which is my hometown. That store was consistently top 10 in sales.

One of the reasons I loved that job was that the owner of the stores, Hyrum Smith, strived to keep customers by doing things unheard of in most retail est. He actually encouraged sales people to pretty much make that customer happy even if there was a cost to him. So people could actually come into the store and say, "I'm not happy with this binder. I'd like to trade it for a new one." That binder could have been 10 years old and clearly been used extensively. But, we did what the customer wanted. So we'd take the price of that binder and deduct it from a new one.

Sounds crazy, huh? Well let me tell you, it made smart business sense. For one thing, very few people would even consider this as an option to get a new binder, but trust me, you'd be surprised at how many did. Secondly, when that person left the store, they were happy. They'd tell all their friends what Franklin Quest did. Those people would probably think that person is a jerk, but it spoke volumes about our customer service and people knew we were the place to get their planners.

So, John, it does happen, or at least it did. But, you're right, I think it's a dying art.

In fact, when Covey bought half the company, that all changed. He didn't see things the way Hyrum did.

Just so people understand where I'm coming from, I was a store manager at 2 Franklin Quest stores, which became Franklin Covey towards the end of my working for them. The first one was in Charlotte, NC which I opened. Later, I transfered to Overland Park, Kansas which is my hometown. That store was consistently top 10 in sales.

One of the reasons I loved that job was that the owner of the stores, Hyrum Smith, strived to keep customers by doing things unheard of in most retail est. He actually encouraged sales people to pretty much make that customer happy even if there was a cost to him. So people could actually come into the store and say, "I'm not happy with this binder. I'd like to trade it for a new one." That binder could have been 10 years old and clearly been used extensively. But, we did what the customer wanted. So we'd take the price of that binder and deduct it from a new one.

Sounds crazy, huh? Well let me tell you, it made smart business sense. For one thing, very few people would even consider this as an option to get a new binder, but trust me, you'd be surprised at how many did. Secondly, when that person left the store, they were happy. They'd tell all their friends what Franklin Quest did. Those people would probably think that person is a jerk, but it spoke volumes about our customer service and people knew we were the place to get their planners.

So, John, it does happen, or at least it did. But, you're right, I think it's a dying art.

In fact, when Covey bought half the company, that all changed. He didn't see things the way Hyrum did.

I do see where you're coming from and thank you very much for sharing that story. It's always great to hear such positive accounts. And I'm not saying that all business people are bad people just out to squeeze every last cent out of the consumer. On the contrary, there are definitely good salespeople and good business owners and good corporations that recognize the importance and value of honesty and excellent customer service. Just as an example, look at either LL Bean or Lands End. They will pretty much take back anything anytime and replace it if you're unhappy, even years after the purchase. Now that's good customer service. Unfortunately, the realistic (some say cynical) side of me knows that I have to be on my toes when shopping for something.

It was funny--a few years ago, a customer called my boss and I was called on the carpet for not giving a refund (college bookstore-they wanted to return a shirt).

It wasn't looking good for me until I pointed out it was a shirt that we didn't sell.

Casp ~ I apologize if you felt I singled you out. I can see how you'd think that, but it wasn't my intention. I actually think most here agree with you on this.

Maybe I should feel that I'd be the one to blame, and in most cases, I do accept personal responsibility. I guess I'm just sick and tired of always having to be "on the ball" in every freakin' thing in my life, otherwise I'll get duped.

Maybe I should be ashamed to say that I'd be ticked-off if I saw the MSRP being $22 cheaper than what I'd paid. I'd take the product back and get a refund, but aren't all sales on ships final? I'm asking because I can't remember their policy.

Anyway, no hard feelings. I guess I'm just not as evolved in my shopping skills. In my eyes, it's the "get them before they get you" motto. To me, that's just a stress I'd rather live without. But I know, sadly, that's just not case anymore.

Thanks, but I appreciate your opinion even if I disagree. I didn't feel singled out. What is interesting to me is that many people don't think about what it takes to run a business. It is very difficult to do the right thing and make a profit, especially when sales are down and margins are very thin. I try to always think these things from the business' perspective. Be assured that these small retail businesses are not doing well today, and they probably need every extra $22 they can get just to make payroll and rent. I'm certain they are much more focused on payroll and rent than cheating customers.

It was funny--a few years ago, a customer called my boss and I was called on the carpet for not giving a refund (college bookstore-they wanted to return a shirt).

It wasn't looking good for me until I pointed out it was a shirt that we didn't sell.

Years ago, when I worked in the shoe department at JCPenney, they had policies like that...except one time I was instructed to take back a pair of shoes that not only had they been worn out, they said Thom McAn inside...they didnt even buy them in JCP...and they still took 'em back! :rolleyes:

Not me! Not on the ship, and not in port, no matter the claims made. Sorry you had a bad experience -- how was your cruise other than your watch purchase?

I do have to say that they had GI (viral gastroenteritis) on the third day of the 7 day cruise. The crew sprung into action to prevent anyone else from getting sick. They even had officers cleaning tables. The food was wonderful. Someone did mention that NCL has a private company running the ship store. Can anyone confirm this for me?

This discussion has NOTHING to do with NCL, nor do the answers have anything to do with whether NCL can be at fault for something or not. Nobody is arguing that the price was higher that the MSRP. What people are saying is that the OP CHOSE to buy the watch at the price on the tag. I'm so sick of people saying that if people disagree with a negative post it's out of some sort of misguided loyalty to NCL. Are you suggesting that none of the posters have the intelligence to base their opinions on anything other than what cruise line they sail on? Good grief.

As far as the issue is concerned, I'm in agreement with the rest of the posters. Buying ANYTHING on a cruise ship is like buying milk at the 7-11. It's twice the price of the milk at the grocery store, but since you want to buy it at 3am, you pay the marked up price. I was on the Pearl a month ago and I saw all those same flyers and had the opportunities to purchase Fossil watches that the OP had, but I chose not to, because I thought the prices were too high. In my opinion, the OP is basically admitting to us here that he fell for the advertising hook, line and sinker, and then got angry when he found out he'd been duped. That's NOT anyone's fault but HIS. As far as the manager removing the MSRP tags, that's what any good retail manager would have done, because they're in the business to MAKE MONEY and they charge the prices people like the OP are willing to pay.

The above opinion is MINE. I would have the same opinion if the incident had occurred on ANY cruise line, at any resort, or at any other place of business with a 'captive' clientele.

Actually after talking with the Manager of the store, he said his AM was WRONG. Then sold me the watch at retail and gave me the 20% off the MSRP that was advertised. By the way, what they did he called Bait and Switch. I caught it. I was hoping the manager would come clean with me about the truth of the sale. He didn't. So why not warn future passengers to be aware. Who brought up about me being veteran? This has nothing to do with what happened?????

This reminds me of the two rules of customer service engraved on a rock outside "Stu Leonards" a grocery plus store in CT:

The Two Rules of Customer Service:

1) The Customer Is Always Right

2) If The Customer is Wrong, See Rule Number 1

As an aside, I believe Stu spent some time in stir for tax evasion, but that is a story for another time I suppose...

I wish there was a 'thumbs up' icon... oh....wait...there is! :)

I agree, This has nothing to do with being a veteran. Who is the knucklehead who seamed these two lines together. I'm proud of my time in the service and proud to let people know in my post. God Bless America

Actually after talking with the Manager of the store, he said his AM was WRONG. Then sold me the watch at retail and gave me the 20% off the MSRP that was advertised. By the way, what they did he called Bait and Switch. I caught it. I was hoping the manager would come clean with me about the truth of the sale. He didn't. So why not warn future passengers to be aware. Who brought up about me being veteran? This has nothing to do with what happened?????

Um, YOU did. quote:

Thanks, Bill Dignan

U.S. Navy/Coast Guard Retired

--

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his/her life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact..

God bless America

In an unscientific test, I researched Fossil watched on the web. Going to the Fossil web site, I picked a mens watch at random (BQ9361) and then searched for it. I could pay the $105 MSRP, $99 at Buy.com, $79 at ewatches.com or $63 at Unitedwatchewholesale.com. It took me longer to type this reply than to research the watch and it never eases to amaze me that people have no clue as to what things are worth.

To all veterans, Thank you for your service to your country.

Thank you for example. I must admit that I made the mistake of assuming that anytime you see a MSRP tag ,that the sale price will be lower at the store :(

I do NOT think they are defending NCL.

I really think most of the posters are wondering what the issue is. They wanted to sell this item for $109. That is their right. If they wanted to sell it for $200, they were fully within their right to do that.

Personally, I do not understand why everybody thinks a cruise ship is a floating flea market anyways!

And to get so upset over it. As said many times, the OP thought the price was WORTH IT TO HIM, so he bought it.

I believe what threw me off was the stack of flyers stuffed in my stateroom mailbox stating the rock bottom WHOLESALE prices. Please correct me if I'm wrong, is wholesale less than the MSRP?

You're kidding, right? A captive audience for a watch? I don't consider buying a watch essential. It's not something he couldn't have passed up. And, if he were just dying to buy the watch, he could easily have logged onto the internet onboard to do a quick search (see post #53 above).

It has nothing to do with "The Watch." It has to do with trusting the cruiseships to back up their wholesale sale flyers they stuff your stateroom mail box with. Only to find out that they are selling item(s) well above MSRP. Yes, that is their right. But is it fair?

It has nothing to do with "The Watch." It has to do with trusting the cruiseships to back up their wholesale sale flyers they stuff your stateroom mail box with. Only to find out that they are selling item(s) well above MSRP. Yes, that is their right. But is it fair?

Fairness occurs when a buyer and seller agree on a price, which is what you did. The price itself is irrelevant. If you didn't feel the watch was worth what the seller wanted, you should have walked away.

Thank you OP for serving and defending our country. When you included that information in the post on your displeasure about the inflating watch price, I thought surely there must be more life experiences to be outraged over. Then I thought about it some more and understand your frustration. You served for many years to protect democracy, individual freedom, capitalism and a free market economy. I am thinking you felt duped because it was one store on one ship with one watch. No negotiation, no refund, no exchange, no apology, no satisfaction. I see the connection. If there was a way to do it, I would send you the price difference so you are not so mad anymore.

coka

Please donate the $22 to the disabled American Veterans. There address is http://www.dav.org/donate/Default.aspx My life experience protecting this country left me disabled for the rest of my life. But I'm not bitter, Because I now lay under the same blanket of freedom you have enjoyed all my life.

Thank You :) God Bless America

Thank you to the OP and to all the active duty and vets from all free nations who have protected our borders and waters to make awesome cruises like these safe and possible!!! :) Quite frankly, you all deserve a gold watch!!! :p:p

Thank You. God Bless America

Ummmmmm... yeah, I'm sure he did sell YOU the watch at the price you found. I just reread your original post, which says this:

He was kind and understanding. He resolved out mistake and said he would look into the discrepancy and report back to us. He didn't! I felt I needed to write you and WARN YOU before INCL takes advantage of you with their SALE items. So Now the future and past passenger know the truth about the prices on the Pearland on NCL ships.

So, basically, he resolved your issue by giving you what you wanted and telling you what you wanted to hear (I am in no means suggesting he wasn't sincere). Based on your last two sentences, it looks like you agree with me that after you left with your adjusted prices, they went back to selling at their marked up price. There would be no more issues with 'found' MSRP tags because they had been removed. This isn't a 'Bait and Switch', however. That is when you are initially offered the better product/deal/etc. and then actually given a lesser one. I would be more inclined to call this a 'Loss Leader' type of situation - where a flyer advertises an incredible deal that gets people into the store, but the deal doesn't necessarily apply to the item you're interested in... I'm just speculating at this point, though, because I don't even look at those flyers - I just sorted through the Dailies I brought home and all the onboard shopping flyers are gone; I threw them away the moment I saw them. (because I believe the shops on ships are overpriced :))

I am in no way belittling your disappointment, and I'm glad that they adjusted the price to your satisfaction. Your warning to others was a good idea as well; if you were fooled by the 'sale' or 'wholesale' flyers, then others will be as well (they count on it). By posting here, you will definitely have saved at least a few posters (and likely quite a few) from making similar mistakes. For many of the posters who have replied, however, we're just not surprised by your experience (except maybe the part where they gave you the discount! :p)

You know, I posted on this thread earlier, and it occurred to me that I might not have been clear on one point... I think merchants that charge exorbitant prices for things are unscrupulous. I believe they knowingly and with full intent take advantage of people and count on customers believing that they're getting a good deal when they're not.

That being said, it's still the BUYER'S responsibility to make their own decisions. NO SELLER can force you to make a purchase you don't want to make. It's YOUR money. If you don't want to give it to a retailer, you don't have to.

I am curious about one thing... The OP does not mention any attempt to return the watches. Last night I was out with my daughter and she found a cute hair accessory in a sale bin. When we got to the till we found that it was regularly priced and so she had the option of paying the full price or leaving it behind. Did the OP have this option? What I mean is, if he had chosen to NOT buy the watch at the price he had agreed to after deciding that it was 'too much', could he have returned it? I don't know what the policies are for such things on cruise ships, but I can only assume that would have been an option.

Actually the Manager told me that the AM was WRONG. Dropped the price to MSRP and gave me the 20% off that was being offered for the sale. I put this post out there so PEOPLE ARE AWARE that the flyers they stuff in your stateroom mailbox about wholesale prices aren't what they may appear. Please DON"T read any further into that. PEOPLE BE AWARE.

Are you saying that you rewarded the Manager's help in making things right with you by posting here that they are price gouging? Wow, usually when someone fixes the problem and goes above and beyond (20% off the MSRP), then people don't publicly trash them for it.

This is ridiculous. The OP hasn't posted anything since the very beginning. He's simply sitting back eating his popcorn and having a grand old time. Let this thread die, as those that hate NCL will keep posting why they are the devil incarnate, and those that love NCL will keep pointing out that it really is buyer beware.

The OP putting in the bit about being a veteran is simply an incendiary measure, and has not basis for even being included in the post. I can understand his frustration, but to ridicule people who can not defend themselves is, at the least, very unsavory and without honor.

To argue these people should defend themselves on Cruise Critic is preposterous. For one, they would need to know they were being discussed on CC. How can one defend themselves without knowing they are being taken advantage of?

All I am saying is that there are truly more important things that we can be using our time for, than to continue to banter on and on about what the OP should have done or how shocked someone can be to pay more for something on a cruise ship than at Wal-Mart.

Finally, I know I will get flamed for this. I am actually a true first time poster. I've read CC for years without ever feeling the need to register or post. This one finally pushed me over the edge.....

Actually I changed email addresses and opened a new account with cruisecritic.com. So I have been on the board from the beginning. Is it wrong to give people and heads up when you see something misleading?

and please people, keep the fact of me being a disabled Veteran out of this forum. and YES, I will remove it from my profile.

Archived