Carnival Customer Dis-Service

SINYFam

In my mind, as long as the shipment was addressed correctly, your name, ship, cabin number and Carnival accepted delivery of the package to their dock agent, it's on Carnival.

Once they accept delivery from the shipping agent it is down to them to get the package to the correct cabin, however if it was labeled incorrectly then it is down to the vendor.

It was for reasons like this that I thought the cruise lines stopped taking delivery of such packages, just to many headaches and nothing to compensate the line for them.

In my mind, as long as the shipment was addressed correctly, your name, ship, cabin number and Carnival accepted delivery of the package to their dock agent, it's on Carnival.

I appreciate your attempt to be objective, but experience tells me that it is NEVER Carnival's fault for anything. Read these boards a little more and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. ;)

This almost could have been resolved at sea. Conquest was in Cozumel on January 2, 2009, the Ecstacy was there one day later, January 3, 2009.

Ah well, ship happens.

OK I'll play even if it is 3:30am and I shouldn't post when this tired.

How could this have been resolved? Conquest stay overnight in Cozumel to wait for the Ecstasy so the OP could get his booze?

Time for bed. :)

Bill

You paid a lot of money for a liquor store to deliver some wine to you. They didn't deliver the wine. It's their responsibility.

If a merchant chooses to accept the responsibility for delivering an item to a cruise ship (something they apparently were well compensated for since you paid $400 for this shipment), then it's their responsibility to make sure it gets to the right place. I assume that the liquor store didn't tell you when you bought the wine that they all they were required to do was just make some sort of effort to get the wine to you and if it didn't arrive, then it was up to you to take up the matter with the cruise line, the Port Authority or anyone else who might have gotten their hands on your wine. If they told customers that, I doubt very many customers would pay to have the liquor delivered to the cruise ship. So they keep their mouths shut and hope that you will let them off the hook.

Whenever I have a package delivered to me, unless and until I sign for it, it's the responsibility of the company from whom I bought it. That's what I'm paying for. If the liquor store wants to dispute the matter with Carnival, that's between them and Carnival.

The thread hi jacking on this board is unbelievable. This person started this thread for a legitimate reason with a legitimate question.......

This is why I don't come here much. Threads always just disintegrate into crap.

So we lost $400 worth of wine and champagne.

All these sour grapes over fermented ones? I must cruise for the wrong reason.

BTW, what the policy for bringing wine on board? And who was responsible for delivery?

Someone in this thread said that they thought that you could only bring on 1 bottle of each. Could it be that they confiscated the other bottles for that reason? if you walk up with 3 bottles, are you allowed to bring them on, or does CCL take them? If they do take it, are you given it back at the end of the cruise? I don't drink, so this is a eal question. This does not explain how it got on the wrong ship, but rather how the returned items were 4 bottles short. Now I want to see who will end up paying for this?

OK some outside company delivers a package to the pier a DAY early and somehow it becomes Carnival's fault that this happens? BS You were lucky that carnival offered you ANYTHING as compensation. To me I'd be ticked off at this company and ask them how they made a mistake delivering to the wrong ship.

Someone in this thread said that they thought that you could only bring on 1 bottle of each. Could it be that they confiscated the other bottles for that reason? if you walk up with 3 bottles, are you allowed to bring them on, or does CCL take them? If they do take it, are you given it back at the end of the cruise? I don't drink, so this is a eal question. This does not explain how it got on the wrong ship, but rather how the returned items were 4 bottles short. Now I want to see who will end up paying for this?

On embarkation day the passengers are dealing with port security and not Carnival. Port security is following the rules set by Carnival. If the bottles are taken on embarkation day they are pretty much gone. Now on the cruise and at a port of call bottles are brought on board the passenger will get them back at the end of the cruise.

Having something delivered to the ship is a little different than a passenger going through security. I like others have said thought Carnival put and end to this practice a while ago.

I agree the provider is responsible for the delivery. You need to bug Specs. Strange that there is a service that provides this I thought all those type delivery services stopped a couple of years ago. Are you sure they really have being doing this alot recently?? Maybe they advertise a service that they really aren't familiar with.

PS I looked at Specs online order. Online it looks like you just enter an address for delivery without a date. That could cause problems. How did you specifically order?? That may be why the delivery got messed up.

Additionally, this is not a security issue. I am sure that your delivery was scanned/inspected by security before being allowed on the ship just like all of the luggage. Same level of security as provided for every passenger related item going on the ship.

Specs should give you a refund and try to recover their goods that they shipped on the wrong day.

Good luck.

Im sure you are hearing this from others, but why wouldnt you blame Spec's the folks you ordered from who put it on the wrong ship?? The Ecstasy is not even in port on the same days as the Conquest.

Blaming Carnival makes no sense to me. Dispute the charge with your credit card company instead of fighting with Carnival. Spec's did not delivery the goods, so dispute the charge as non delivered. Easy, you get your money back thru your credit card company. Why are you waiting around fighting with Carnival who is not the merchant involved.

I agree the provider is responsible for the delivery. You need to bug Specs. Strange that there is a service that provides this I thought all those type delivery services stopped a couple of years ago. Are you sure they really have being doing this alot recently??

that was my question too. I had heard this was not allowed. If it was common then you would be reading about it here more often. Something just doesnt sound right here. You cannot bring hard liquor onto the ship period, so why would Carnival allow delivery of a substance that they have banned.

Something wrong here for sure.

Not sure how the delivery process works, but it would seem that

the goods are delivered to the port or pier by Specs (not to the

actual ship). Someone at the port would sign a receipt for the

package; is this a Carnival or port employee? If the person signing

was carnival personnel, then I think Carnival is responsible for

getting the package to the correct ship.

However, if Specs was able to deliver the package directly to the

incorrect ship, the fault is with Specs.

We were on the Conquest for a New Year's Eve cruise (12/28/08 out of Galveston). We ordered 3 wines, 3 champagnes, some water and snacks for the kids. The place we ordered from, Spec's is well known in TX and said, they always make deliveries to the ships, this makes sense since they are about the only liquor store open in Galveston these days.

I know the gift bags made it to the terminal (I have a copy of the signed receipt), we also know it made it on a Carnival ship, the problem is, it was the wrong ship!!! Our Bon Voyage gifts were put on the Estacy which left before us. How do we know this, the staff on the Conquest tracked it down when I went looking it.

So we lost $400 worth of wine and champagne. What did Carnival give us as compensation, a couple of bottles of asti spumonti. I did get to call the liquor store while on the ship and they also tracked our stuff to the wrong ship. They then requested that the bags be left at the dock, and locked-up for us to pick up when we got back. Didn't happen.

So once back, my husband put a stop payment on the order, the liquor store kept calling the Embarkation area to pick up the returned merchindise. They only got back 1 wine, 1 champagne and the water and snacks, about a third of what we ordered.

So, we contacted Carnival armed with proof of delivery, what was there response, sorry, we are not responsible!!!!.

Not responsible for putting a package on a ship for a non-exsistent passenger. Carnival's security protecals(?) failed, I'm out $400 and they are not responsible. You would think they would recognize a breakdown when they see one, but no, they would rather have a dissatisfied customer than admit their staff is incompetent.

An airline would not load a package on a plane unless there is a customer's tag on it. But Carnival obviously doesn't check to make sure a package they are putting on their ship is destined for a passenger on that ship.

Just a note, it has taken me this long to write this up because I was hoping that Carnival would have reimbursed us for our loss. They didn't so I will now make it a point to let anyone I speak with about cruising that Carnival is lacking in security, responsibility and customer satisfaction.

Sorry about your problem, but this is not Carnivals issue. YOU did not order through Carnival, so they are NOT responsible. although they signed for the package, they are still not responsible.

I would contact the store that you purchased from, and alert them that until restitution is made in full, a written appoligy, and the merchandise either sent to you, or total cancelation of order, you are not paying for the merchandise. IF you paid in advance, then sorry, you are just out of luck.

Lesson learned, don't order from a third party for delivery to the ship. order if from Carnival although it may be a bit more expensive, you know it will make it to your cabin, or dinner table.

As for the snacks for the kids and water, Put the water in a hard sided suitcase and send it with checked luggage. As for snacks, put in your suitcase and it will make it on the ship.

sorry again for your problem, but don't ever trust a third party when it comes to 50$ bottles of wine and champange. Carry them on yourself if need be. or place in bubble wrap in a hard sided suitcase and send with checked luggage.

Not sure how the delivery process works, but it would seem that

the goods are delivered to the port or pier by Specs (not to the

actual ship). Someone at the port would sign a receipt for the

package; is this a Carnival or port employee? If the person signing

was carnival personnel, then I think Carnival is responsible for

getting the package to the correct ship.

However, if Specs was able to deliver the package directly to the

incorrect ship, the fault is with Specs.

I worked for American Express in the Disputes dept. If the merchant chooses to let someone else sign for a package and the person who ordered it did not sign, their name is not on the delivery slip, then we charged the merchant back. It was a risk the merchant undertook.

We had issues with ebay for a while, because paypal was actually the merchant you pay, but ebay bought paypal. If the merchandise was not signed for, charge paypal back. period, end of story.

Specs in this case is the merchant and not delivering directly to the buyer, so they are assuming the risk if non delivery. Like I said, you pay by cc, then if non delivery, you can call up the cc company and dispute the charge, and the OP would have his money back by now. This is a open and shut case to the credit card company.

This is a great thread - and yes, I think the Carnival cheerleaders are ganging up on the OP. Just a question to consider: If you are staying in a hotel, say a Marriott or Hilton for a week (maybe for work or vacation) and you order something that is to be shipped UPS. The hotel signs for the package when it arrives and then you never receive it - who's fault is it? Is it the vendor that you purchased it from? Is it your fault for not being there with UPS showed up? Obviously it is the hotel's fault. Once they sign, they are responsible to bring it to you...

I'm not sure about the demand for "compensation" - I think that is a little much. If you disputed the charge and you talked to Carnival about it, your covered.

Interesting story tho...

Archived