Carnival Customer Dis-Service

SINYFam

This is a great thread - and yes, I think the Carnival cheerleaders are ganging up on the OP. Just a question to consider: If you are staying in a hotel, say a Marriott or Hilton for a week (maybe for work or vacation) and you order something that is to be shipped UPS. The hotel signs for the package when it arrives and then you never receive it - who's fault is it? Is it the vendor that you purchased it from? Is it your fault for not being there with UPS showed up? Obviously it is the hotel's fault. Once they sign, they are responsible to bring it to you...

I'm not sure about the demand for "compensation" - I think that is a little much. If you disputed the charge and you talked to Carnival about it, your covered.

Interesting story tho...

I believe firefly333 quite thoroughly addressed your "who's at fault" question in the post just before your own.

By way of reading the responses, some people think Carnival can do no wrong, (guess you guys live in different world from me). :rolleyes:

Just to be clear...

It was a member of Carnival's Embarkation staff that signed for my package. The signed receipt was clearly marked with the ship name, our family names, cabin numbers and the contents of the gift bags. We were 11 people, 6 adults - so the 3 wine/3 champagne was within Carnival's limits. The store, Specs verified the policy/limits to us when I ordered. I ordered (rather than carried) because we were flying in from NY and didn't want to carry these items from NY.

I also received numerous recommendations from this site on which store to use for this order. So maybe some of those bashing me now, are the same ones that thought this was a good idea when I floated it in December?:confused:

I did pay with a credit card, the store did their job by getting our gift bags to the port when allowed (TX law does not allow sale on Sunday, so the package was delivered on Saturday). They got a signature, so Carnival did accept the package (and as far as I'm concerned the responsbility). Since when is a Company not responsible for the actions of its employees? (Try that line in court and the judge will laugh.)

I did ask if there was anyway to get the bags from the Estacy to our ship, I was told they would not be visiting the same ports we were ahead of us. I was also told that the packages were to be brought back to the Galveston port and held for us, this also did not happen.

I posted this now, because I did not want to bash Carnival, we called them, provided them proof of delivery, acceptance and, their own ship staff backed up our claim as they were the ones that found most of this out. All of our attempts to get our bags secured on the Estacy for return to us were done within the first 24 hours of our leaving port. Both the staff on the Conquest and the staff on the Estacy knew there was an issue.

As for security, yes airlines and cruise lines have different rules but, since when is it reasonable for any organization that has some level of responsibility for the public's safety to accept a package for someone that is not even registered on that vessle??? Here in NY that would be considered an unclaimed/unattended package and worthy of a look by the police or, in this case, security. Apparently security means something different outside of NY.:confused:

Carnival had an opportunity to (1) make good on this and see that their customer was happy with the resolution, (2) review their policy/practices for accepting packages delivered to their ports and, (3) change their procedures to ensure packages are matched up to passengers. They chose to do nothing, guess customer service at the corporate level means nothing.:mad:

I additional comment, all of the on-board staff worked to bring a positive resolution to this, so they did their jobs and did it well. :) However, the corporate staff could use some training from their on-board staff.;)

We were on the Conquest for a New Year's Eve cruise (12/28/08 out of Galveston). We ordered 3 wines, 3 champagnes, some water and snacks for the kids. The place we ordered from, Spec's is well known in TX and said, they always make deliveries to the ships, this makes sense since they are about the only liquor store open in Galveston these days.

I know the gift bags made it to the terminal (I have a copy of the signed receipt), we also know it made it on a Carnival ship, the problem is, it was the wrong ship!!! Our Bon Voyage gifts were put on the Estacy which left before us. How do we know this, the staff on the Conquest tracked it down when I went looking it.

So we lost $400 worth of wine and champagne. What did Carnival give us as compensation, a couple of bottles of asti spumonti. I did get to call the liquor store while on the ship and they also tracked our stuff to the wrong ship. They then requested that the bags be left at the dock, and locked-up for us to pick up when we got back. Didn't happen.

So once back, my husband put a stop payment on the order, the liquor store kept calling the Embarkation area to pick up the returned merchindise. They only got back 1 wine, 1 champagne and the water and snacks, about a third of what we ordered.

So, we contacted Carnival armed with proof of delivery, what was there response, sorry, we are not responsible!!!!.

Not responsible for putting a package on a ship for a non-exsistent passenger. Carnival's security protecals(?) failed, I'm out $400 and they are not responsible. You would think they would recognize a breakdown when they see one, but no, they would rather have a dissatisfied customer than admit their staff is incompetent.

An airline would not load a package on a plane unless there is a customer's tag on it. But Carnival obviously doesn't check to make sure a package they are putting on their ship is destined for a passenger on that ship.

Just a note, it has taken me this long to write this up because I was hoping that Carnival would have reimbursed us for our loss. They didn't so I will now make it a point to let anyone I speak with about cruising that Carnival is lacking in security, responsibility and customer satisfaction.

Hilarious! This is in no way Carnivals fault. But a stop and CC charge and your out nothign. Move on.

I have just one question and maybe I missed it sorry if I did but on what day was the package delivered. The reason I ask is the Conquest leaves on Sundays and the Ecasty leaves on Saturdays and Mondays. Could this actually be spikes mistake. It may have been delivered on the wrong day.

Carnival has ZERO responsibility for a package that you have delivered to the ship to be transferred to your cabin. I don't even see where your Cruise Insurance would cover this. This specific incident won't remotely affect my opinion of Carnival. You'd have been better off ordering from the Bon Voyage Department. Ken

This man speaks truth.

Doc

In terms of whom is responsible, if you are having your credit card company involved, let me use a simpler example. You bought a dress from Macys online and Fed Ex is the delivery agent. The dress isnt delivered to your house. Macys is responsible, not Fed Ex. FedEx is the same as Carnival, the middle man. The merchant responsible in credit card disputes IS ALWAYS THE MERCHANT WHOM YOU PAID.

Hilarious! This is in no way Carnivals fault. But a stop and CC charge and your out nothign. Move on.

There is no such thing as stopping a CC charge. We get told to stop payment all the time and have learned to quit explaining there is no such animal, waste of breath. Your charge is suspended while a dispute is in process. If they find in favor of the merchant it is rebilled. As simple as that. The merchant gets a chance to respond and then the dispute rep decides if the signed proof of delivery is there or not in a delivery dispute. If not signed by the buyer, then the merchant is charged back, unless you signed a waiver of some sort or in some cases you signed a arbitration clause, and waived the dispute process.

I did pay with a credit card, the store did their job by getting our gift bags to the port when allowed (TX law does not allow sale on Sunday, so the package was delivered on Saturday). They got a signature, so Carnival did accept the package (and as far as I'm concerned the responsbility). Since when is a Company not responsible for the actions of its employees? (Try that line in court and the judge will laugh.)

The store did not do their job of delivering the merchandise to YOU. It arrived at the port as you said on Saturday, when Ecstasy was in port. Not on Sunday when the Conquest was in port.

Your time for disputing this charge is going to make this harder and harder and eventually you give up your right after 180 days to charge back the merchant. Either you dispute the charge or you dont. Your choice. But whining to Carnival who did give you some extra bottles of wine to compensate isnt going to help. You need to suck it up and dispute the charge from the merchant who isnt Carnival.

Let me use another example. You ordered that suit from Macy's online and FedEx took it next door and had your neighbor sign for the package. Would you now be arguing with your neighbor or Macy's? Only Macy's was paid, no one else can be held responsible if YOU did not sign for the package. Fed Ex was Macy's agent, but has no legal liability.

I read that outside liquor deliveries had been stopped uh...last fall maybe? I had thought about doing the same thing but when I researched it found that deliveries to the port had been banned. I thought I'd have some things delivered to my hotel and bring them with me. Either that or simply stop on the way to the hotel and find what we wanted. Another advantage to coming in the day before!

On the other hand, if Carnival is going to be accepting and signing for packages, they then take the responsibility for getting the package on the right ship. I realize that Carnival is perfect and can make no mistakes, but this is a no brainer. That is the entire point of signing for something- it becomes your responsibilty to get it where it belongs. It was simple human error but they were responsbible. Just as when you give them you luggage you have ever right to assume that it will end up on the correct ship. And I'm sure that gets messed up on occasion too but I rather doubt that anyone would argue that it was not Carnival's fault in that case.

I don't know, it seems to me that asking for a delivery of items to a port a day early to a ship that is not there is just asking for a mistake. Where was the merchandise supposed to be held in 24 hours? Then, the next day amongst all the commotion of clearing the ship through customs, debarking, getting in new passengers on, this package is remembered, located, and delivered?

Not passing judgment on who is responsible, just saying that sending it in a day early seems to be a proposition with a whole lot of margin for error.

Thanks for posting, I sure won't ever consider having a third party send something to me a day early when the ship is not there to receive it.

Let's stop with the hyperbole, please.

NO ONE has said Carnival can do no wrong. No one said you were stupid to order something to have delivered. No one said the merchant is a thief for not having it delivered properly.

I'd also like to know, though, why anyone would expect to have a package delivered to the pier, to Carnival, on a day a DIFFERENT ship is sailing, and then be shocked that the package was put on the wrong ship.

Why would you expect anyone at the pier to hold your package? And no one has explained who is responsible for such packages. Dock workers or Carnival?

Have you asked the merchant how the package was addressed? If they put nothing on the package to indicate that it was NOT to go on the ship sailing the day they delivered it, how in the world would you expect Carnival to know to hold it until the next day?

Don't the folks at the port have enough to do already?

On the other hand, if Carnival is going to be accepting and signing for packages, they then take the responsibility for getting the package on the right ship. I realize that Carnival is perfect and can make no mistakes, but this is a no brainer. .

From a LEGAL standpoint this is not true. I have had law with my MBA and PhD in business besides knowing the dispute laws. People can want them to be what they want, but the law is not on your side.

If you are having something delivered, and unless YOU signed something agreeing the merchant can deliver it to a 3rd party, (then YOU took the risk), then the merchant who you paid is responsible.

If you shipped UPS they have automatic insurance up to $100. If you didnt have any insurance on the package and it did not arrive, then the only legal recourse is to go back at the merchant who profited. There must be compensation under contract law for a contract to be in place. The OP might have signed such a delivery waiver Im thinking or he wouldnt be so against his only legal recourse. Even if compensation is only $1, if no money changed hands, there is no contract with Carnial for delivery.

Would the Carnival ANTI-Cheerleaders explain to me how this is Carnival's fault?

The man bought more wine than is allowed on.

He made his purchase and delivery arrangements with an UNAUTHORIZED company. Spec's.

There is the "Bon Voyage" dept. AVAILABLE for this purpose.

The "package" was "signed" for, BY WHOM? Almost certainly, illegible.

One side of ANY story NEVER, NEVER proves anything. We know his side, we don't know Carnival's side and most important, we don't know the TRUE story.

Dan

By way of reading the responses, some people think Carnival can do no wrong, (guess you guys live in different world from me).

Just to be clear...

It was a member of Carnival's Embarkation staff that signed for my package. The signed receipt was clearly marked with the ship name, our family names, cabin numbers and the contents of the gift bags. We were 11 people, 6 adults - so the 3 wine/3 champagne was within Carnival's limits. The store, Specs verified the policy/limits to us when I ordered. I ordered (rather than carried) because we were flying in from NY and didn't want to carry these items from NY.

I also received numerous recommendations from this site on which store to use for this order. So maybe some of those bashing me now, are the same ones that thought this was a good idea when I floated it in December?:confused:

I did ask if there was anyway to get the bags from the Estacy to our ship, I was told they would not be visiting the same ports we were ahead of us. I was also told that the packages were to be brought back to the Galveston port and held for us, this also did not happen.

I posted this now, because I did not want to bash Carnival, we called them, provided them proof of delivery, acceptance and, their own ship staff backed up our claim as they were the ones that found most of this out. All of our attempts to get our bags secured on the Estacy for return to us were done within the first 24 hours of our leaving port. Both the staff on the Conquest and the staff on the Estacy knew there was an issue.

As for security, yes airlines and cruise lines have different rules but, since when is it reasonable for any organization that has some level of responsibility for the public's safety to accept a package for someone that is not even registered on that vessle??? Here in NY that would be considered an unclaimed/unattended package and worthy of a look by the police or, in this case, security. Apparently security means something different outside of NY.:confused:

Carnival had an opportunity to (1) make good on this and see that their customer was happy with the resolution, (2) review their policy/practices for accepting packages delivered to their ports and, (3) change their procedures to ensure packages are matched up to passengers. They chose to do nothing, guess customer service at the corporate level means nothing.:mad:

I additional comment, all of the on-board staff worked to bring a positive resolution to this, so they did their jobs and did it well. :) However, the corporate staff could use some training from their on-board staff.;)

Some ppl seem to have missed this post from the OP. I have no idea about TX laws, so I give the benefit of the doubt to the OP.

If the law is true, how do all the drunks at a Cowboy's home game get their beer:D.

Disclaimer: I deleted one of the OP's smilies so I could add mine.

Some ppl seem to have missed this post from the OP. I have no idea about TX laws, so I give the benefit of the doubt to the OP.

If the law is true, how do all the drunks at a Cowboy's home game get their beer:D.

Contract law is Federal law :rolleyes:. Its not just pertenent to one port. (Im sure you knew this are were being snide). So, you think the drunks are not buying beers from the vendors at a Cowboy's game, they have it delivered at the door?

OK Im off to lunch. You all can write your own laws the way you want them to be. The heck with real laws.

From a LEGAL standpoint this is not true. I have had law with my MBA and PhD in business besides knowing the dispute laws. People can want them to be what they want, but the law is not on your side.

Maybe if you added a JD to your MBA and PhD your arguement would be more credible. Just sayin'... :)

Contract law is Federal law :rolleyes:. Its not just pertenent to one port. (Im sure you knew this are were being snide). So, you think the drunks are not buying beers from the vendors at a Cowboy's game, they have it delivered at the door?

OK Im off to lunch. You all can write your own laws the way you want them to be. The heck with real laws.

I underlined this in the OP post:

My joke was about having alcohol on a Sunday at a Cowboys game. Which according to the OP is not allowed. As we all know, there is always an exception to any rule/law if the price is right:D.

Unless I'm mistaken, even if things went down exactly as the OP stated, and even if Specs was not legally responsible as "someone" signed for the package at the port, wouldn't that "someone" have been an employee of the port authority, not Carnival? My understanding is that everyone you deal with prior to boarding (including the agent who checks you in) works for the port authority, not the cruise line.

As someone else pointed out, would it be reasonable to expect anyone at the port to be responsible for a package that arrives one day and ensuring it gets delivered the next? Are they set up for this? Just askin'.

And I hardly consider myself a Carnival cheerleader. They are a good cruise line and I've had no major complaints, but they are usually not my first choice.

My understanding is that when you purchase something to be delivered to you, the contractual agreement does not end until the merchandise is in your hands. Even if the seller uses a third-party delivery service (FedEx, USPS, etc.) and they "sign" for the merchandise, the seller is still ultimately responsible to you, the customer.

In this case, I believe Specs was responsible for ensuring that the merchandise was delivered to you. It doesn't really matter if a Carnival employee signed for it. Ultimately, you didn't get your merchandise and Specs, therefore, didn't fulfill its contractual obligation. Carnival is sort of like FedEx in this scenerio. Their signature doesn't assign them responsibility; it just acknowledges that it was received and provides a way to track what happened.

In disputing the charges, it should be pretty straightforward for you. You ordered items for delivery and you didn't receive them. Period. That said, Specs certainly has a right to try to recover the merchandise if it was delivered to the wrong ship. Since a Carnival employee signed for the package, Specs should have some recourse in recovery from Carnival -- but that doesn't involve you.

One caveat would be if your purchased the items to be delivered to you in care of Carnival. That means you've designated Carnival as a valid recipient and Specs would have fulfilled its obligation having delivered it to a Carnival agent. The dispute would then be between you and Carnival and it would seem to me that Carnival has to either come up with ALL of the merchandise or compensate you for whatever went missing while it was in their care.

Sorry folks (meaning Carnival cheerleaders) the legality of the contract is with the signature. If the OP has proof that an agent of Carnival signed for the pkg. then Carnival has accepted liability for delivering that pkg. to the OP in the same manner that they accept liability for luggage. However, under the terms of the ticket contract, that liability is severely limited. I presume that the OP did not inform Carnival of the increased value of their baggage and I also assume that the OP did not pay the premium for that increased value. The Asti comes close to the limits Carnival has in their contract.

However, Carnival's approach in this, where they allow their agent to sign for an item but will do nothing to support that signature speaks volumes.

We were on the Conquest for a New Year's Eve cruise (12/28/08 out of Galveston). We ordered 3 wines, 3 champagnes, some water and snacks for the kids. The place we ordered from, Spec's is well known in TX and said, they always make deliveries to the ships, this makes sense since they are about the only liquor store open in Galveston these days.

I know the gift bags made it to the terminal (I have a copy of the signed receipt), we also know it made it on a Carnival ship, the problem is, it was the wrong ship!!! Our Bon Voyage gifts were put on the Estacy which left before us. How do we know this, the staff on the Conquest tracked it down when I went looking it.

So we lost $400 worth of wine and champagne. What did Carnival give us as compensation, a couple of bottles of asti spumonti. I did get to call the liquor store while on the ship and they also tracked our stuff to the wrong ship. They then requested that the bags be left at the dock, and locked-up for us to pick up when we got back. Didn't happen.

So once back, my husband put a stop payment on the order, the liquor store kept calling the Embarkation area to pick up the returned merchindise. They only got back 1 wine, 1 champagne and the water and snacks, about a third of what we ordered.

So, we contacted Carnival armed with proof of delivery, what was there response, sorry, we are not responsible!!!!.

Not responsible for putting a package on a ship for a non-exsistent passenger. Carnival's security protecals(?) failed, I'm out $400 and they are not responsible. You would think they would recognize a breakdown when they see one, but no, they would rather have a dissatisfied customer than admit their staff is incompetent.

An airline would not load a package on a plane unless there is a customer's tag on it. But Carnival obviously doesn't check to make sure a package they are putting on their ship is destined for a passenger on that ship.

Just a note, it has taken me this long to write this up because I was hoping that Carnival would have reimbursed us for our loss. They didn't so I will now make it a point to let anyone I speak with about cruising that Carnival is lacking in security, responsibility and customer satisfaction.

If I am not mistaken, the Ecstasy and Conquest never dock in Galvestion the same day. (since I often watch the cams, I know I am not mistaken) The wine in questions had to have been delivered the day before, as the Esctasy will sail out on Saturdays, and the Conquest ALWAYS sails out on Sundays. So, simple, product was delivered, by the liquer store, to the wrong ship.

First of all, the Ecstasy leaves ONE day before the Conquest. Thus, Carnival is NOT to blame, but the liquor store is to blame.

Do not blame the error on Carnival when they had nothing to do with it but sign that they accepted the package. They likely did not look at the package to see it was for the Conquest and not the Ecstasy because turn around day is insane! All one has to see is the number of trucks and people moving around to know that the only real items checked are our bags when we drop them off at the pier!!!

Your credit card company should refund the money because of the liquor stores error. The liquor store should be the one you are complaining about, not Carnival..

It's not true that you cannot buy alcohol on a Sunday in Texas. You can purchase wine and beer after 12 noon at stores which are located in "wet" areas. Liquor stores are closed. You can purchase all types of liquor at places such as restaurants, bars, and other venues which hold liquor licenses after 12:00 noon on Sundays. Certain areas in Texas are dry, so you have to have a "membership" card to purchase alcohol at those establishments. I haven't been to Texas Stadium in years, so I don't remember if they sell beer and wine at games. They did the last time I was there, but that was a while ago.

The liquor laws in Texas are kind of crazy.

Archived