To Laptop or not to Laptop...

mailbroad

I used my MacBook with no problems on the Pearl. The first time we were on the ship our mini-suite had an ethernet port (I always have a cable). The second time we were in a suite with both wireless and ethernet port.

There are other places on board with hot-spots.

The computer worked good for a slide show before we left the ship.

I brought my laptop on the last cruise, a 13 day. I tried it twice in the ship’s internet café. The wired connection was less than slow. I think my old dial-up was faster, but I can’t remember that far back.

I did use the laptop, almost daily, for picture downloading, and email composing. Each night I would copy the files onto a flash drive. I would take a flash drive with me when ever I went ashore. After the excursion(s) were finished, I would walk around looking for an internet café ashore. Only in Samana, D.R. was I not able to find one. I would use the onshore internet café to do email and blog, etc.

In Cozumel, there is a Starbucks directly across from the dock area. Free i-net, with a beverage purchase. I went back on the ship, got lap top, back to Starbucks, beverage, and off I was.

Rich

i am taking an online accounting class (zzzzzzzzzz) and i just realized i have a test scheduled for the week we'll be on the cruise (ruh roh)

im in a real pickle over this test thing. i have a 90 minute window to complete it and hoefully i wont need that but say i take 30 minutes thats almost $25 just to take a stupid test!!! :eek:

Do not try to do this while on-ship. Get thy-self ashore, even if you have to skip an excursion. (I do hope it is not on a sea day!:eek:)

Rich

Another option is to get the air card for the laptop if you're going to be within range of U.S. cell towers. On our last two cruises, we have had port stops in the U.S. (Key West, Cape Canaveral, etc.) and you can go up on deck and Internet all day for no additional charge. (The air card works like a cell phone that you plug into the side of your laptop.). I'm not sure if you could get one for just a short time or if there are 1 year minimum subscriptions like with cell phones, but it wouldn't hurt to ask - the monthly fee for my air card is something like $50 and it allows me to access the Internet pretty much anywhere that I could use my cell phone. On our upcoming cruise, for example, my niece has to email home some college assignments during the week and this will be easy as we will be in Port Canaveral all day during the middle of the cruise. Just another option to consider...

I won't have a cabin that has access. How do I connect if I bring my laptop? Do I have to be near the internet cafe?

There were ethernet plugin connections in my cabins on the Pearl and Star (and I always pack an ethernet cable). As an alternative, WIFI was available in selected public areas onboard. My travel laptop is small enough to fit in the room safe.

Not sure why te topic of getting special 220 plugs keeps coming up. These ships have 110 us type plugs onboard. No special adapter needed.

Yes, most ships do, just sometimes they are hard to find, or may be full. I was just on the Spirit. In the cabin there was only one US style 110 volt plug, but several 220 volt. In the internet cafe there were 220 all over the place. One had to look under one of the chairs to find a 110 volt plug, and that was a converter plugged into a 220.

Rich

I just got back from our cruise on the Sky. We did take our laptop and I mainly used it to upload my pics from my camera to send in e-mails. I would go ahead and type the e-mails and attach the pictures and tell it to send later when I would be connected. In order to get Wi-Fi I had to go out of the cabin. I was able to pick up a signal in The Atrium, which was just down the hall from my room. I didn't have to go all the way to the internet cafe. I'm also a Facebook and Myspace addict and had to check those. I only purchased a 30 minute plan - $16.50 + $3.95 one time fee. I liked being able to use my own computer but I'm not sure I would take it again. It was another bag to carry and not sure it was worth it. Next time I may just use their computers and everyone will have to wait til I get back to get any pictures :P

P.S. Didn't need an adaptor. Cabin had 110 outlet.

Archived