Livorno to San Gimignano

We recently spent 5 days in Florence so we're thinking about going to San Gimignano on our port day in Livorno. I'm not having much luck figuring out a direct way to get there (except hiring a driver or ship's tour) so I thought I'd ask for advice. Has anyone gone from Livorno to San Gimignano on their own using public transportation? If so, please share how you did it and approximately how long it took.

but apparently you can do Lucca and Pisa via public transport out of Livorno (if frommers is right). barbara

Frommers is right (this time). Frequent trains connect Livorno and Pisa and Pisa and Lucca. You will need to take the city bus or taxi between the Livorno port and station. It is approximately 20 min Livorno <-> Pisa and 30 min Pisa <-> Lucca. Exact travel times vary as some trains make more intermediary stops than others.

We recently spent 5 days in Florence so we're thinking about going to San Gimignano on our port day in Livorno. I'm not having much luck figuring out a direct way to get there (except hiring a driver or ship's tour) so I thought I'd ask for advice. Has anyone gone from Livorno to San Gimignano on their own using public transportation? If so, please share how you did it and approximately how long it took.

It is possible, but it is a real PITA. I've not done this (Livorno is not a city one visits except if cruising or you have a rich old aunt living there), but ....

Trainn Livorno -> Poggibonsi changing trains at Empoli. Then a bus to S. G.

The reverse to get back. San Gimignano is a lovely little walled town. However, it is, I think, better saved for another trip. Also, it is a MUCH nicer town in the late afternoon and evenings when the hordes of day tourists have reboarded their buses.

If you haven't visited Lucca, I would strongly recommend going there instead.

We spend a lot of time driving in Tuscany and have often stayed right outside of San Gimignano (one of our favorite regions). There is no practical way to get to San Gimignano from Livorno ..except by car. It is quite easy to rent a car in Livorno (except on Sundays) and some of the car rental companies might still deliver to the port (Hertz used to do this). Driving in this region is not any more difficult than driving at home....but renting or owning a GPS system sure helps. One bonus that you get by having a car is that you can simply go where you want, when you want, with whom you want. Another nice town in the region (not too far from San Gimiganano) is Volterra....which can be combined with San Gimiganao on a day trip. There is also the route S222 wine train which is also fun to drive and meanders through the best parts of Chianti.

Hank

Archived