alternate routes to & from Galveston

p2lockhart

You might want to check for traffic delays on I45 between Houston and Galveston and try to arrive the day before. Today it took us about 2 1/2 hours each way so check for roadwork and arrive in plenty of time.

I just looked in the City & State section of the Houston Chronicle and on page B2 they have TRAFFIC HOT SPOTS listed. Here are a few contacts that might help:

chron.com/traffic (for realtime traffic information)

TxDOT: 713-802-5074

Katy Freeway (I10) Public Info Office: 281-589-5852

Harris Co. Toll Road Authority: 832-601-7800

Harris Co. Public Infrastructure: 713-755-4400

Patti

Yesterday we just spent 2 1/2+ hours each way due to road work that closed 2 lanes in both directions on I45 at FM2351/Clear Lake City until 5 am on Monday. I know that there is frequent roadwork in the NASA Rd 1 area, too. Can anyone share alternate routes to and from Galveston please? I am concerned about not getting my cousin to the airport in time after our next cruise. Locals, what do you do besides avoid traveling on the weekends? Any suggestions will be appreciated. We will arrive on Saturday to avoid the problem boarding on Sunday. But we will still face traffic then, too. Thanks.

Patti

This does not provide alternate routes, but it does give traffic info:

http://www.houstontranstar.org/

Also-

I just looked in the City & State section of the Houston Chronicle and on page B2 they have TRAFFIC HOT SPOTS listed. Here are a few contacts that might help:

Patti

Does anyone know how long this roadwork is expected to take? We are cruising in the beginning of April. Should I be concerned about making it back to IAH for a 2:00 pm flight? We'll have a rental car.

A second Thanks to the OP. I'm sure there are a good number of cruisers who are interested in this thread. Unfortunately we won't have computer access when we get off the Voyager so we cannot take advantage of the local hotspots reports.

That roadwork has been ongoing forever in I-45! Actually, we've lived down here in the Houston/Galveston area for 30 years and they've been working on I-45 as long as I can remember! Just in different spots. There are a couple of alternative routes you could take, but it would probably take you longer than going straight through and hitting the traffic. It definitely is not always like that. There must be construction on one of the overpasses that they are building.

There is not any good way around. You can either take Hwy 3 or 518, but if 45 is backed up both of these will be just as bad as they are stoplights all of the way. Eventually you have to get back to I-45 to get over to the island.

The road work at Nasa Road 1 and Brittany Bay will continue for several more YEARS!. Although in general there is no back up at either of these -- especially on Sundays since there is still 3 lanes of traffic open both ways.

This past weekend was a special case where they closed one section of road for the entire weekend. This does happen occasionally, but not very often.

This past weekend was a special case where they closed one section of road for the entire weekend. This does happen occasionally, but not very often.

Good to know that the heavy traffic caused by road closure was not the norm. We are coming into Galveston the day before, but leaving from IAH on Sunday. My concerns are more for Sunday traffic. Hopefully they won't be closing the road that day!

That roadwork has been ongoing forever in I-45! Actually, we've lived down here in the Houston/Galveston area for 30 years and they've been working on I-45 as long as I can remember! Just in different spots...

Double those years for me!

I've heard of folks where their first job was working construction on the Gulf Freeway. They worked... and worked... and worked some more. Years passed and they finally retired. Their whole career was working construction somewhere on the Gulf Freeway!

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif

Double those years for me!

I've heard of folks where their first job was working construction on the Gulf Freeway. They worked... and worked... and worked some more. Years passed and they finally retired. Their whole career was working construction somewhere on the Gulf Freeway!

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif

And when they did retire their sons took their jobs and now the sons have worked their entire career on the Gulf Freeway!! Been here since '67 and the construction just never stops!

And when they did retire their sons took their jobs and now the sons have worked their entire career on the Gulf Freeway!! Been here since '67 and the construction just never stops!

I grew up in Houston and remember hearing on the news about I45 workers retiring after an entire career working on I45, too. And that was years ago. I guess you could add "I45 construction" to the list of the only things that are certain in life- death, taxes, and I45 construction. :rolleyes:

Mke sure you have construction first!

HW 288 to 6 to Galveston

Hw Beltway to 3 to Galveston

Hw Beltway to Genoa to 146 to Galveston

HWHw 225 to 146 to Galveston

This does not provide alternate routes, but it does give traffic info:

http://www.houstontranstar.org/

Also-

Patti

If you will be cruising either of the 2 week-ends of Mardi Gras you will be in luck with the road closures. No closures on I 45 to Galveston those 2 week-ends. However, after the next week-end the road closures will start again. Beware of the longer time to get to Galveston.

Drivers to Galveston could also take HWY 146. It will merge into I-45 just north of the Galveston bridge. It is a more round about way if you are going to or coming from either airport but it will keep you out of a 2 hour delay.

If you are coming from I-10 you can get on HWY 146 at the Mont Bevieu exit, I think the exit number is 796.

You can also get on HWY 146 from state hwy 225 coming from Pasadena to LaPorte.

If going to IAH take Hwy 146 to Hwy 225, then 225 to beltway 8, then north to hwy 59.

If going to HOU take Hwy 146 to Hwy 225, then 225 to beltway 8, then back south to I-45. Houston Hobby will be just north of where beltway 8 crosses I-45.

There is not always construction!

Make sure you have construction first!

see another thread and below post for Highways dept tel #

However see map and:

HW 45 to 288 to 6 to Galveston

Hw 45 to Beltway on South side of Houston..east to 3 to Galveston (will be congested though)

Hw 45 to Beltway on south side of Houston... east to Genoa to 146 all the way to Galveston

Hw 45 to 225 to 146 all the way to Galveston

Getting to Galveston on I-45 is really not a problem, unless you hit peak traffic time.

Early in the morning before 9:00am on weekends should get you to Galveston without much off a traffic problem. Come through later and it will take a little longer due to weekend traffic.

During the week before 6:00am and after 8:00pm you would be OK, anytime in between, forget it.

I have lived all my 62 yrs. in Houston and there has been construction on I-45 all during that time.

Archived