Charleston Hotel

RoyalTraveler

No, but we go to Charleston often as my dh is a vet and goes to the VA Hospital there. Since you're from NC, I'm assuming you're driving down. Not sure about your budget or if you just NEED to stay in the historic district, but you'll find some much better rates in North Charleston. There's a Sheraton there (at exit 213 on I26 ) that offers discounts for residents of NC and SC - rate of around $99 per. Or, if looking for even less cost, there's a surprisingly nice Clarion Inn at exit 215 on I 26 for around $60 per night. From either of these it's a VERY easy 10 minute drive to the cruise terminal. Also, if you're looking for a good place to eat, try Bubba Gump's on Market Street - REALLY good shrimp dishes.

Thank you, Loves2Float; this is good to know as we would like to visit Charleston for a longer period of time on another trip. For this cruise-trip, I was thinking of staying the night before at the hotel, then leaving our car parked there and taking their shuttle to the cruise port and back.

No, but we go to Charleston often as my dh is a vet and goes to the VA Hospital there. Since you're from NC, I'm assuming you're driving down. Not sure about your budget or if you just NEED to stay in the historic district, but you'll find some much better rates in North Charleston. There's a Sheraton there (at exit 213 on I26 ) that offers discounts for residents of NC and SC - rate of around $99 per. Or, if looking for even less cost, there's a surprisingly nice Clarion Inn at exit 215 on I 26 for around $60 per night. From either of these it's a VERY easy 10 minute drive to the cruise terminal. Also, if you're looking for a good place to eat, try Bubba Gump's on Market Street - REALLY good shrimp dishes.

I WOULD NOT stay in North Charleston unless you know the area. I would recommend spending a little more and staying downtown or in Mt. Pleasant. In fact there check out this hotel and the price of $55 for park and cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=923594

Check this out and stay here.

As for GOOD shrimp/seafood don't go to a chain... go to the Shem Creek area in Mt. Pleasant and try any of the restaurants along the "creek". It is along Coleman Blvd. In Mt. Pleasant.

To the OP, sorry I'm not trying to hijack your question, I just have a very similar question.

DW and I are coming in from Columbus the day before. We have decided to rent a car so as not to rack up mileage on our aging vehicles. Basically, we're looking for a hotel in the airport area for the night before our cruise that has a shuttle to the pier. We would like near the airport so we can take a taxi or (preferably walk) to the hotel after we turn our car in the morning of the cruise. I'm assuming after the cruise, we'll just take a taxi to the airport.

Any suggestions on cheaper hotels (under $100 range) around the airport with a shuttle?

Thank you,

To the OP, sorry I'm not trying to hijack your question, I just have a very similar question.

DW and I are coming in from Columbus the day before. We have decided to rent a car so as not to rack up mileage on our aging vehicles. Basically, we're looking for a hotel in the airport area for the night before our cruise that has a shuttle to the pier. We would like near the airport so we can take a taxi or (preferably walk) to the hotel after we turn our car in the morning of the cruise. I'm assuming after the cruise, we'll just take a taxi to the airport.

Any suggestions on cheaper hotels (under $100 range) around the airport with a shuttle?

Thank you,

Ok... not anything within walking distance of the airport... at least 5 miles to nearest hotel. As for staying around the airport... stay downtown. You can take a cab to the Days Inn downtown:

http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=05262&cid=carat_search-Days_Inn

and walk to the pier.

Turn your car in and don't worry about having to do it in the am... and you are across from many tourist attractions..

As an alternative... bring your car and stay in Mt. Pleasant at the:

http://www.theinnatrivercrossing.com/

They have a park and cruise that is very reasonable. Columbia is on a 2 hour drive.

Thank you,

Rent from Budget and return your car at the downtown Charleston location on Saturday morning (Meeting Street and Mary Street, right next to the visitor center). They will take you to the port in your rental car when you turn it in. They are only open until noon on weekends, so get there by 11:00. Same procedure in reverse when you return. Worked great for us last week.

Chalker Guy, thanks for the tip. I have reserved 2 vehicles actually from budget..one to get there and one to get home. I'm a little disgusted that it's almost ($40 difference) as to rent a 1 way reservation twice as it would be to keep it for 9 days. Oh well I guess that's the breaks.

Bobsfamily, thanks for the tip. I have a reservation at the Quality Inn in North Charleston right now, but I'm thinking of switching to the Inn at River Crossing for the $55 deal. The only problem is after 11 hours of driving and 11pm at night, I'm not sure I want to drive the extra to get to Mt Pleasant. How far is it from North Charleston to the Inn?

Thanks everyone.

Chalker Guy, thanks for the tip. I have reserved 2 vehicles actually from budget..one to get there and one to get home. I'm a little disgusted that it's almost ($40 difference) as to rent a 1 way reservation twice as it would be to keep it for 9 days. Oh well I guess that's the breaks.

Bobsfamily, thanks for the tip. I have a reservation at the Quality Inn in North Charleston right now, but I'm thinking of switching to the Inn at River Crossing for the $55 deal. The only problem is after 11 hours of driving and 11pm at night, I'm not sure I want to drive the extra to get to Mt Pleasant. How far is it from North Charleston to the Inn?

Thanks everyone.

It's another 10-15 miles... and I think you would feel safer... and your car would be. Why not rent it for the whole time... and leave it at The Inn in Mt. Pleasant... no hassle turning it in and getting it again. They have a park and cruise.

If you knew your way around North Charleston I would say stay... BUT if you don't you can find yourself in a not so nice area real quick... and 11pm is no time to be in the wrong area. Take 26 til the end and go over the Ravenel Bridge into Mt. Pleasant (US 17 north) and it is on your left off the bridge.

I'd say it depends on the time of year that you're there. I just booked this week for $84.95 but, that was for Apr. 10th which is Good Friday. I had had a reservation with Holiday Inn Riverview which was over $50 more and did not include breakfast.

They quoted me $84.95 for my March 7 cruise. It's still better than any other hotels that I found. The Holiday at Riverview is good too, but we decided that paying for breakfast at the Holiday Inn would be almost as much as the taxi from Mt. Pleasant.

They quoted me $84.95 for my March 7 cruise. It's still better than any other hotels that I found. The Holiday at Riverview is good too, but we decided that paying for breakfast at the Holiday Inn would be almost as much as the taxi from Mt. Pleasant.

The breakfast at the Holiday Inn is on the top and has WONDERFUL views... I'd still stay in Mt. Pleasant, but we sometimes go over and have the breakfast buffet just for the view.

Archived