How to pack formal attire?

newcruiser30

We are going on our first cruise mid-March with RCI. How have y'all packed your formal wear for a cruise? It seems like my dress and husband's suit would take up quite a bit of room in the big suitcase. Do you think it's best to buy a garment bag for this purpose? We really hate to spend even more money than we already have! We were planning on taking our 1 big suitcase, and a carry on each (2 total) for a 7 day cruise. Just worried about fitting everything in as well as leaving room to bring back things we buy.

Thanks,

Carrie

Our suitcase has a "garment bag" section on the top of the case...put your formalwear into a dry-cleaning bag, and fold it once. It should come out just fine! Do NOT pack weeks ahead of time! As long as the clothing has room to "slide" a bit, it won't wrinkle.

Don't spend any extra!!!

And don't bring a big,flouncy ballgown! Go with something clingy, stretchy, sequined---they don't wrinkle EVER!!!!! (You could ball them up, and they'd look great!)

We had a garment bag and then our children gave us a new garment bag. The new one has wheels and is easy to transport. Whether you use a garment bag or put your formal wear in a large suitcase, the dry cleaner bags is the way to go. We recently spent three days travelling before boarding the ship. I had wrapped the dresses in the bags, and put DH suit in between. No wrinkles. They really work great for reducing wrinkles. I use them also to layer in the suitcase.

Have fun.

I have always rolled my tux as well as my suit jacket up in a tight roll and hung it up when we got on board.Very few wrinkles and takes up alot less room in my suitcase. Silk as well as light wool are excellent travel fabrics.It is inexpensive to send it out onboard to press it if it is wrinkled alot. Wishing you a great trip.:)

I used to bring a garment bag, packing my formal attire and any wrinkle-prone clothing there. But now that airlines allow only ONE checked bag, I had to fit everything into my suit case and carry-on.

I packed my formal wear at the last minute, keeping it as flat as possible. I also took some Downy Wrinkle Relaxing spray. I didn't end up needing it, but it made me feel more confident having it with me!

Rolling them gives the best result. I rolled everything I packed and there were no wrinkles at all when I unpacked them.

A bin bag [we have large ones in the UK for outside bin] is good to lay on the dressy stuff before rolling it.

I'd pack two medium bags rather than one big one. What if the airline loses your one bag? Then neither of you has anything. Mix up the wardrobes in the two medium bags.

Don't pack any "foo foo" formal gowns.

Hang your good clothes in the bathroom as you shower and a lot of wrinkles will fall out.

Definitely use tissue paper or dry cleaning bags between folds so everything slips and slides.

I agree with using tissue paper - it does a great job. I usually buy a few packages at the dollar store. We sailing on the NCL Dawn, so no formal clothes for us!! My husband wears a suit and tie to work everyday, so he's happy.

We are going on our first cruise mid-March with RCI. How have y'all packed your formal wear for a cruise? It seems like my dress and husband's suit would take up quite a bit of room in the big suitcase. Do you think it's best to buy a garment bag for this purpose? We really hate to spend even more money than we already have! We were planning on taking our 1 big suitcase, and a carry on each (2 total) for a 7 day cruise. Just worried about fitting everything in as well as leaving room to bring back things we buy.

Thanks,

Carrie

Carrie you will find most people are bundlers or rollers when it comes to packing. I personally do both as well as use packing folders and cubes. For a suite I either use a garment sleeve or bundle it.

Last October on our cruise on RCCL I chose to rent a tux through the cruise line. While it is not necessarily cheap I thought it was a great service. My tux rental was hung up in my closet when I arrived and they picked it up the day after the last formal night. I thought it was great that I didn’t have to make room for it, lug it, or clean it.

Shak

Great advice here :)

I use dry cleaner bags all the time while packing, not just for formal wear but anything that could wrinkle. If you have an item that you think will wrinkle easily, put a bag over the hanger first, then another over the garment.

I've stopped packing long dresses and now only take cocktail length, not only easier to pack but a bit less weight. Our last cruise we did rent a tux for DH, but we were gone 19 days and wanted the space for daytime clothing instead. It worked out great, we had 3 formal nights on that cruise.

Make sure to weigh your bags after packing, it's not hard to reach the 50 lb. limit and many airlines charge more for an overweight bag than an additional bag. Also, don't forget the fees for overweight or additional luggage are 2 ways, so double the cost. Each airline can be different so check yours before planning what you pack!

We will also have a bit of laundry/dry cleaning done for us while onboard. Neither of us is concerned with wearing the same clothing items twice and it can make a significant difference with packing.

Archived