Can you book a room that normally sleeps two people, even if you're paying for three?

Sigyn

My husband and I and our toddler son will be cruising on Carnival later this year. We'd prefer to all sleep in the same bed or possibly bring in a rollaway for our son, who will be only 21 months old at the time.

Is it possible to book a room that normally sleeps only two people, even if you're paying the 3rd person rate for three people?

We're going through a travel agent, if that makes any difference. I haven't met her yet or I'd call to ask this question, but my friends that we're traveling with have used her for years.

Thanks!

My husband and I and our toddler son will be cruising on Carnival later this year. We'd prefer to all sleep in the same bed or possibly bring in a rollaway for our son, who will be only 21 months old at the time.

Is it possible to book a room that normally sleeps only two people, even if you're paying the 3rd person rate for three people?

We're going through a travel agent, if that makes any difference. I haven't met her yet or I'd call to ask this question, but my friends that we're traveling with have used her for years.

Thanks!

njsmom,

Sorry, you'll have to book a room that sleeps three.

I am pretty sure coast guard regulations would prohibit the cruise lines from booking three people into a cabin with only two berths. What you can do is let your steward know you won't need him to lower the upper berth in your cabin as your toddler will be sleeping in your bed.

We are booked on the Freedom in room 6487 (aft) with our daughter. I believe these rooms only have two beds like 6485 does on the Conquest/Glory. According to my TA and Carnival, the will only allow up to a certain number of people on each deck. We originally requested to be on the 9th deck (Lido?) with some family. TA was told by Carnival that the maximum number of 3rd/4th guests for that deck had been reached and therefore they would not allow any additional bookings for 3rd/4th guests on deck 9. I hope this makes some sort of sense. Your TA should be able to verify from Carnival and let you know what particular rooms you can book.

When we sailed on the Liberty of the Seas last May, we were in a balcony room with only two beds, they provided a packnplay for our daughter then.

Please take time to post back once you have a response from your TA.

okay, thanks! if you get a room with an upper, does that mean there is no couch? is it easy to get a rollaway or pack and play brought to the room or is there a limited supply and it's hit or miss? I really don't know how he'll be sleeping at that point. I only know what a 14-month-old does since that's what I have. :)

Our daughter ended up sleeping with us and not really using the pack-n-play that much and it became a waste of space sort of. I would check w/ your TA about how Carnival handles it. I believe they will provide one if they know it is an infant / baby. Don't hold me to it though.

Thanks!

No, they won't allow you to do this. We had a two-person room and had to switch to a 3 person room on our last cruise when we added our son to the reservation.

1. No, 3 people, even a very small 3rd person, requires a triple by law. It has nothing to do with how many beds or who sleeps where, it has to do with the number of bodies per floor on the ship. You child can sleep with you, but you will still need a triple.

2. If you don't want the pack n play provided by the ship, just give it back on the first day and tell your attendant not to bring it back. I always brought my own pack n play, so I always returned the ship one on the first day.

This all depends on the ship that you're on... The newer ships, that don't allow roll-away beds will require you to book a room designed for three people. The older ships (such as Triumph) use roll-away beds, so 3 people can be assigned to a room for 2, I'm sure you can have your cabin steward remove the roll-away.

I'm assuming you are asking because you have a specific cabin in mind. If not, and you are only worried about space - then you needn't worry at all. The cabins with berths for 3 or even 4 are no smaller or tighter than 2 people cabins.

Good luck!

This all depends on the ship that you're on... The newer ships, that don't allow roll-away beds will require you to book a room designed for three people. The older ships (such as Triumph) use roll-away beds, so 3 people can be assigned to a room for 2, I'm sure you can have your cabin steward remove the roll-away.

I'm assuming you are asking because you have a specific cabin in mind. If not, and you are only worried about space - then you needn't worry at all. The cabins with berths for 3 or even 4 are no smaller or tighter than 2 people cabins.

Good luck!

I agree. They must count the couch in my room on my next cruise as a bed, because there are no other pull downs, etc... in this room.

Good luck!

OP mentioned Triumph in another thread. You can have rollaways on Triumph and Victory, but not the newer ships.

okay, thanks! if you get a room with an upper, does that mean there is no couch? is it easy to get a rollaway or pack and play brought to the room or is there a limited supply and it's hit or miss? I really don't know how he'll be sleeping at that point. I only know what a 14-month-old does since that's what I have. :)

The couch depends on what category of cabin you choose. Insides have no couch with a few exceptions (cat 1a etc). Outside and balcony cabins have the couch (Except some handicapped cabins). Whether it is a cabin for 2, 3 or 4 has no impact on the couch being there with very few exceptions as outlines above.

Also keep in mind that all passengers need to have a life vest available for them. If several 2 person cabins were all filled with a 3rd child, there might not be enough life vests for the youngins. As a safety precaution, you definitely want to be booked in a room that is set to hold 3 persons in it. Whether you use all three beds is clearly up to you, just stay safe.

Also keep in mind that all passengers need to have a life vest available for them. If several 2 person cabins were all filled with a 3rd child, there might not be enough life vests for the youngins. As a safety precaution, you definitely want to be booked in a room that is set to hold 3 persons in it. Whether you use all three beds is clearly up to you, just stay safe.

The life vests available in the cabins are for adults. When a child is booked in a cabin, the steward brings a child's life vest for use during the cruise. That's what they've done on all our cruises - on our August 2008 cruise on Victory, our three sons were booked in 8424, which is a two-person cabin, and youngest had a rollaway. The older two had adult-size life jackets, and the steward brought a child's jacket for our youngest.

thanks for all the great responses!

yes, we do have a specific cabin in mind. it's on the Lido deck of the Carnival Triumph and it's a balcony stateroom and I'm not sure what the bed layout is but I wanted to have advance info before talking to the travel agent that our friends are having us use with them (we're booking two cabins, traveling together). the description on the carnival website wasn't specific so I didn't know what the bed setup would be like and I wanted to know if we could switch to a two-person room if need be, since there are more of those available that are adjacent to the rooms that our friends are able to book. we want to get balcony rooms next to each other so that we can open the divider for one big balcony.

thanks again!

Archived