How old were you when you took your first cruise?

Tess2mommies

how old were you when you took for your first cruise  

319 members have voted

1. 1. how old were you when you took for your first cruise

I was 9 in 1965 when I went Trans-Atlantic with my family to Norway from NYC and back on Norwegian America Line's beautiful Bergensfjord and Oslofjord. I hooked my wife on crusing on our Honeymoon on the Volendam when she was 21. We took our daughter for the first time when she was 6 on Premier's Atlantic.

I was 16 when I went on my first cruise.

My situation is kinda bitersweet my exposure to cruising. I was introduced to it at a relatively young age - and my last 8 cruises have been thanks to my parents... And I know once I'm done with undergrad and go to Med School I probably won't have time for cruising for a long while. But I know I'm lucky enough to be on as many has I have been, but I hope cruising is in my future as an adult!!

Happy Cruising, and Happy Holidays for that matter!

1) Arcadia (P&O) 1972 from Van to Sydney (22)
Fantastic as it has 25 cent drinks (beer or shot).
2) Oriana (P&O) Lauderdale to Sydney (married at the time) Aussie Girl (23)
3) Oriana (P&O) Sydney to Lauderdale (divorced from above) (25)
No regrets what so ever on taking these voyages. Met wonderful people and often look back an say where are they?

Now booked on the Dawn in Jan 05 so will see a difference + Married "again".

My mom and dad used to take at least 2 cruises a year when I was growing up. After my dad died my mom kept asking us to cruise with her (at her expense). I just "couldn't" do it... too phobic about cruising. She did cruise a few times with my sisters and 1 niece. I was 52 when my mom insisted that we were having a family reunion on a cruise and that we were ALL going. I was SO afraid of cruising that I had to see my doctor for some anti-anxiety meds. I just didn't want to let down my mom and the other 21 family members. I was still really nervous the first day at sea. We had some rough seas the first 2 days, but after that I relaxed and really enjoyed it. DH and I knew after the first 3 days that we wanted to cruise again. Now we're hooked... and I cruise un-medicated. What I once truly feared... being "trapped" onboard a ship... is one of the things I look forward to the most now. All those wasted years....
Shae

"Bill Miller of World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society reports that there is a new book out, titled Orient Lines, by Peter Newall, all about the wonderful Orient Line ships.

I'm trying to locate a copy."

Greetings!
Here are the details of my new book on Orient Line.
best wishes,
Peter

New from Ships in Focus
Orient Line - A Fleet History

By Peter Newall

For over 100 years Orient Line was one of the most progressive and
innovative British shipping companies. It was also the premier passenger
line between Britain and Australia carrying thousands of people in its
sailing ships and steamers. With a foreword by Lord Marshall, Chairman of
British Airways and a former Orient Line purser, Orient Line a Fleet History
traces for the first time the complete history of the company and its ships
from the formation of Anderson, Thomson and Company in 1863 until the
absorption of Orient Line into P&O in 1966 and the brief revival of its name
between 1977 and 1987.

Peter Newall, author of Union-Castle Line a Fleet History, has produced what
will probably be the definitive history of the line with individual
histories of 129 ships including all the sailing ships from 1863 onwards;
liners and tugs owned by Orient Line; Pacific Steam Navigation Company ships
used in the joint Orient Line service between 1878-1909; war managed vessels
and the series of liquid gas carriers and bulkers from 1977-1987. Profusely
illustrated with over 400 images, many of which have never appeared before
(including 40 in colour), this 184 page book also includes unique
information on Orient Line at Tilbury and Australian ports as well as
twenty-one pages about life aboard from Orient to Oriana and a further nine
pages on Orient liners under construction at Barrow-in-Furness.

It can be obtained for £23.50 plus p&p from Ships in Focus: 01772-612855 or
[email="sales@shipsinfocus.co.uk"][color=#0000ff]sales@shipsinfocus.co.uk[/color][/email]

"standard of reproduction is outstanding and this is a book to treasure"
Lloyd's List
"profusely illustrated..photographs well chosen...clear and informative captions...maintains the high standard we have come to expect form this publisher and author and will be regarded as the definitive history of Orient Line"
Fairplay

Hi:

I was 12 when I went on my first cruise ship. It was the S.S. Veendam from Rotterdam to Halifax and we were the fortunate ones who went on a cruise ship as opposed to an immigrant boat (world war II variety) and it was 1952.

This started me on cruising and we have taken 25 since but the next one was on our 25th anniversary (my dh's first) when I was 44 years old. That was on the Chandris (X) Victoria. Caribbean.

My DW were 46- went to the Panama Canal on the Coral.

I thought I would hate it, she was excited - turned out we both LOVED it! Now we're hooked - been on 2 and have our next 2 booked. Wish we were retired so we could go more often :D!

I was 44. After my father passed in 01, I've offered my mother a vacation every year. Was looking for something all-inclusive with little hassle, low impact and few logistical challenges. Mom and I decided on a cruise for our Sep 03 vacation. She'd also never been cruising. RC's Enhancement Western Caribbean was our choice and we really enjoyed it. I booked Princess for May 04 with DH. That was heaven, and now DH is also hooked. ;) Then another RC in Aug 04 for quick trip to Bahamas with my daughter and son, as DH has limited time off. Now, looking for another with DH in May/Jun 05 timeframe. Hmmmm...maybe I can talk mom into late summer/early fall 05. :p

I was 28 and it was aboard the Grand Princess. This cruise was like a dream. First time board a ship (and it was the Love Boat line, please!!!), first time in the Caribbean too. For DH and I, it was the beginning of a very serious addiction. We are actually in a serious state of withdrawal!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I was 13 and we were going to the Seattle World Fair. It was aboard the Yarmouth and unfortunately she sank two years later. Unfortunately, didn't cruise again until 1978. I enjoy every minute I spend on a ship!!

Carole

Guest Host Tink
[quote name='KUSydney']

My situation is kinda bitersweet my exposure to cruising. I was introduced to it at a relatively young age - and my last 8 cruises have been thanks to my parents... And I know once I'm done with undergrad and go to Med School I probably won't have time for cruising for a long while.

Happy Cruising, and Happy Holidays for that matter![/QUOTE]

Hey, Ships always need Doctors ya know! You could get a job on Princess!

46 turned that ,the day before our cruise in 2000....there were a group of 14, and only 2 couples have cruised before, needless to say since then we have introduced cruising to my sister and SO, in 2004, and we are booked on a back to back Jan 30/05-Feb 6/05....on the new Carniaval Valor...i think it is safe to say we are addicted...I love it, and if I could afford it, i would definately take more than one a year...

[color=red]i was 37 on the norway on a jazz cruise (that cruiseline doesn't even offer them anymore). it was the only vacation we had without our son. we felt guilty for a minute...and had an amazing time nevertheless. sometimes to be a good parent you need a break from parenting ;) [/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Although I am going on my first "real" cruise in less than two weeks on the Grand, my mother jokes that this isn't my first "cruise".

Back in 1965, when I was just six months old, we traveled across the Atlantic via the USNS William O. Darby to Germany. My dad was being stationed with the U.S. Army in Germany.

My first cruise was 2001 on the Maasdam to Eastern Caribbean; since then we've done Alaska 8/03 on the Veendam and the New Year's Cruise 2003 on the Zaandam. In April we'll be on the Star. My children are now 13 and 16, and this is going to be their 4th cruise also....think they've gotten used to the finer things in vacationing!! Lucky kids, eh??!!:) :)

Archived