My comment on "sneaking" liquor on board

I've read all kinds of questions and comments about bringing liquor on board a cruise ship. Some people call it "sneaking", "smuggling", etc. I think that is just crazy. No one really cares if you bring liquor on board or not.

I sailed on the Mariner of the Seas last week. In my carry-on bag, I had a large jug of Kaluah Mudslides, an 8-pack of bacardi jiggers, a bag full of jiggers (about 30) of cruzan coconut, mango, orange, pineapple flavored rums, a 6-pack of corona, and a 6-pack of diet coke. No one in security or check-in questioned anything in my bag. I just sailed on through the line. It is not a big deal. I've never known anyone that has been asked to empty liquor out of their suitcase before boarding.

By the way, I still spent way too much money on my bar bill. (And, no, I didn't consume all of the liquor I had in my cabin. I was close, but didn't finish it all). I guess I should also say there were 5 adults in my cabin.

Kimberly, I just read your entire review and I loved it! You obviously had a wonderful time on the Mariner, as I did, and I'm also glad you loved the Ron Jon! I'm going to miss Jade on the Adventure, I'm sure, as DH and I ate there every day on the Mariner and Navigator.

Yeh, I agree, my experience embarking (out of Baltimore) was the same - I don't think anyone was interested in booze. However, I wonder if the policy is up to the person in charge of RC embarkation at each port, and I always worry that next time , at a different port or with a change in management, I'll arrive loaded to the hilt and then run into a problem.

We didn't even have to carry ours on. When we went on Mariner in May our friend put three cases of beer in duffle bag, slapped one of his luggage tags on it, and dropped it off with our luggage at the pier - it was delivered three hours later. We did tip the guy who delivered it (we happened to be in the room at the time) because it was really heavy.

I also agree. We were on the Mariner last week also. Took liquor, wine and mixers onboard packed in our suitcases (we only live a couple of hours from Pt. Canaveral so airline security/ luggage handling wasn't a problem). Our luggage and liquor was delivered to our cabin about an hour after we boarded with no problems. We also spent our share with bar tabs onboard but it was nice to sit on our balcony and have our own drinks whenever we wanted. Personally have never been challenged with bringing liquor on board and neither have any of our travelling companions. Guess my comments may open me up for flaming, but I wonder if this issue isn't overblown by some.

Happy Cruising

Tanker

My cousin was on an NCL cruise out of New Orleans a few weeks ago and his alcohol in his checked luggage was confiscated and given back to him at the end of the cruise. I was hoping to hear from some people who have recently sailed out of New Orleans on RCL to see if they ran into any problems. We've only sailed on Carnival in the past out of New Orleans, and haven't had any problems sending on alcohol in our checked luggage.

Beth

My cousin was on an NCL cruise out of New Orleans a few weeks ago and his alcohol in his checked luggage was confiscated and given back to him at the end of the cruise. I was hoping to hear from some people who have recently sailed out of New Orleans on RCL to see if they ran into any problems. We've only sailed on Carnival in the past out of New Orleans, and haven't had any problems sending on alcohol in our checked luggage.

Beth

Our friends on Carnival Fascination had the same thing happen to them as your friend on NCL.

Btw...RCCL cruisers. You don't have to carry all this heavy stuff. During our cruise on Splendour we could buy 2 bottles of any product (vodka, Kahlua etc) and pay only $9.95 per each 2 bottles to consume in the cabin. It was equal or still cheaper than buying it in the land store.;)

Some lines..like HAL(you can bring wine or champagne though) and Celebrity don't let you consume alcohol bought in tax free stores on board, but RCCL does.

Archived