St. Thomas, USVI question regarding US Customs and Immigration

JetJock_YHZ

Hi Folks,

We are sailing on the Emerald Princess on the 18th. Our first stop is Princess Cays (Eleuthera). Next stop is St. Thomas, USVI. The Emerald docks in St. Thomas at 0700.

Will we have to get up early to clear US Customs and Immigration there?

Thanks!

Carl (and Brett)

When the vessel docks in St. Thomas, having arrived from a foreign port such as the Bahamas, you will be be having to get up and meet the immigration officers with your passport.

You can come down in your robe.

Enjoy the trip.

read post #3

It has been my experience after 69 cruises that You go to customs in St. Thomas if You have stopped in a foreign port before St. Thomas. Example, St. Maarten, Bahamas, Aruba etc. If You stop in San Juan or other US Virgin Islands, It is not rquired and You can sleep in.

This is a very recent patter from the Crown http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/12894/pat/PP%20Crown%20Jan%2022.pdf

There was no requirement to go through customs in St Thomas after visting both Princess Cays and St Marteen. This is also confirmed from people who have written in earlier threads of this forum who were just on a similar route.

Things have changed just recently. No more getting up early to go through cutoms/immigration in St. Thomas, even when you have stopped at a foreign port before arriving.

I was shocked last month, so I asked why we didn't have to do that on our cruise (Grand Princess). We were told it is now discountinued. :) :)

WOW!

Thanks, everybody for the quick responses!

There was some conflicting information, but it seems that I can sleep in and not have to go through Immigration in my bathrobe! :) Our yacht-racing tour is not until 1230.

Just as an FYI, we live in the Halifax, NS, Canada, and cruise ship passengers who enter our port do not have to personally pass through Canadian Immigration before being allowed off the ship.

I assume that all the data we provide, prior to sailing, does get read by the Authorities and is acted-upon appropriately.

The ship's own security system of cruise cards being matched with a photo in those machines would negate the possibility of someone trying to smuggle on board in the Bahamas and enter the USA illegally in St. Thomas.

I applaud the USA and it's Homeland Security Department for this sensible and long-overdue convenience!

Carl (and Brett)

Sounds like a nice change. However, when we did this itinerary last year, St Thomas was our last port, so clearing there meant we didn't have to clear back in Port Everglades, which was really nice. I assume that if they aren't clearing in St Thomas now, even if it is the last port, that you still have to clear back in Florida?

Sounds like a nice change. However, when we did this itinerary last year, St Thomas was our last port, so clearing there meant we didn't have to clear back in Port Everglades, which was really nice. I assume that if they aren't clearing in St Thomas now, even if it is the last port, that you still have to clear back in Florida?

You sure do. The seem to rush you off the ship even faster than years back only to line up in the terminal & wait in even longer lines waiting for 4 or 5 agents to check you out.

WE were just on the CB and our stop before St Thomas was Dominica and we did not have to clear immigration or customs. When we disembarked in San Juan we didn't go through immgration either. But we did have to pass through customs and they only had two customs people which caused a very long line.

Archived