Montego Bay...Taxis...and things to do

SnJ01

My husband and I are planning on taking a trip once in Montego Bay to Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville...have any of you been to the one there? Also we are skeptical about the taxis off of the pier because we have heard alot of different stories...I know Jamaica isn't the safest place in the world...LOL...does anyone have any advice on those?

My husband and I are planning on taking a trip once in Montego Bay to Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville...have any of you been to the one there? Also we are skeptical about the taxis off of the pier because we have heard alot of different stories...I know Jamaica isn't the safest place in the world...LOL...does anyone have any advice on those?

The CD will provide you with excellent info about which taxis to take in Jamaica. The JUTA company comes to mind - it's one of three licensed by the government there.

Unless you're party hounds, I'd skip Margaritaville. The food is bad and the music is very loud. As for excursions, if you and your DH like outdoors activities, take the Horseback Ride and Swim through Carnival. It's a marvelous experience!

Regarding safety, just watch yourselves as you would in any large city: no visible valuables, look out for suspicious people, and just say "no, mon" to anyone hawking taxi rides in particular and other goods in general. BTW, it's legal for Jamaicans, whether plainclothes cops or not to entice you to buy ganga (marijuana).

James

Unless you're party hounds, I'd skip Margaritaville. The food is bad and the music is very loud.

I will second that. We went there just to say "we've been there" and it was not to our liking at all. We got some nice shirts but that's about it. I'm surprised the decibel level of the music hasn't shaken the whole place into the ocean.

Yeah, i third, we went there too, its very mediocre, why go all the way to Jamaica just to visit an American chain restaurant, but if you do, be very careful on the waterslide, we had a few Red Stripes, and almost drowned becaus it looks calm, but is quite a challenging swim back from the Jumpy raft!!!, we also went to Negril last year, all in all Jamaica is safe as anywhere, Just be ready to fend off people selling all kinds of stuff, and disfigured children begging for money(the parents actually disfirgure these kids so tourist feel sorry for them, we gave one kid 5 dollars, he walked around the block and asked us again hahaha)

a simple "No" will suffice (dont say maybe later, or not right now, or i dont have the money..Just a polite No, or No thanks, and PLEEEASE dont say No Mon, if youre not Jamaican, and youre not buying from them, its rather insulting to speak like you're cool and 'jamaican savvy')

though Jamaica is one of the most beautiful islands we've been to, I seriously doubt Ill be back unless its on a cruise port of call.

also, in Mobay, try to gather more than just 2 people together, and go to the market, man!! they have the cheapest/coolest wood carvings and such, Real souviniers made right there, and like I said, Jamaica is THE best for cheap cheap nice quality wood art, canes, stuff like that!!:cool:

also when hailing a plain taxi, look for the RED licence plates, this assures you that they are licensed taxi, and negotiate final price total for all passengers BEFORE you get in the cab;)

also, as for the Ganga, the undercover cop thing is a myth, they need our tourist dollars, and in many instances you can buy from uniformed officers!!(a...ahhhhhem.. friend of mine actually scored at the door exiting the airport..on airport property...probably not the smartest thing but...no lie)

Would hubby and I be safe to walk from the ship to Sunset Beach? I've read that it is about a 3 minute walk from the terminal. Can't see taking a taxi for such a short walk. Besides, after the food we plan on eating on the ship, we will need the walk!!

Would hubby and I be safe to walk from the ship to Sunset Beach? I've read that it is about a 3 minute walk from the terminal. Can't see taking a taxi for such a short walk. Besides, after the food we plan on eating on the ship, we will need the walk!!

I would like to know if it's safe to walk to SB as well. We will in Mo Bay March 11th.

• 4 months later...
The CD will provide you with excellent info about which taxis to take in Jamaica. The JUTA company comes to mind - it's one of three licensed by the government there.

Unless you're party hounds, I'd skip Margaritaville. The food is bad and the music is very loud. As for excursions, if you and your DH like outdoors activities, take the Horseback Ride and Swim through Carnival. It's a marvelous experience!

Regarding safety, just watch yourselves as you would in any large city: no visible valuables, look out for suspicious people, and just say "no, mon" to anyone hawking taxi rides in particular and other goods in general. BTW, it's legal for Jamaicans, whether plainclothes cops or not to entice you to buy ganga (marijuana).

James

I'm very interested in the horseback ride and swim that you did. We are also traveling on Carnival but I didn't see that on their list of excursions for when we are traveling. Did you have to call or book it once on the ship? Whatever information you can provide would be very helpful.

Archived